Where to live: Melbourne or Sydney?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
idl

Where to live: Melbourne or Sydney?

Post by idl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:39 am

I'm looking to move to Australia in a few months, I'm pretty certain it'd either be melbourne or sydney as they're the most populated. I've googled my ass off trying to find differences between the two, though I've not managed to find much more than Sydney being more expensive and Melbourne having better transportation, for the most part the sound pretty similar. So if there's anyone here that has lived/visited either then would love the hear your thoughts.

Specifically, what I'm most interested in is nightlife. I like to party till I drop, so if either has a law to close all clubs at 3am then it's a no go! Young, diverse, relaxed vibe is also very important. I'm 24. East London in a country with good weather would do me fine :)

Cheers! :D

idl

Re: Where to live: Melbourne or Sydney?

Post by idl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am

..or maybe even Brisbane??

dru

Post by dru » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 am

Man, come to Perth. It's awesome here.

theque

Post by theque » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:13 am

melbourne,

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:23 am

We came to Melb 5 years ago with the plan to live 6 months here, and 6 months in Sydney and then go back home.... it's been 5 years now and we're still in Melb :)

Sydney is fast with busy big city lifestyle.

Melbourne has a more arts and culture 'cafe' feel but is still a big city.

Flights are super cheap between the two, you could always go from one to the other pretty easily.

RobC

Post by RobC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:47 am

Sydney for the weather, Melbourne for the vibe.

I'd try Auckland, but not for the weather and I suppose it isn't really in Australia.

Rob.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:03 pm

I like Brisbane - nice laid back vibe and really starting to take off - plus you have the gold coast and sunshine coast nearby and byron bay only 2 hours south - sub tropical climate so it's pretty much always warm - in fact we had a heat wave last week where it was 35 C and it's still winter!

But from what you say you want Melbourne- It's defintiely the best for music/clubs etc but the weather is pretty shit

I lived in Sydney for a while about 10 years ago, there is obviously plenty going on there and the weather is a bit better than Melbs, but culturally I think Melbourne is better

Post by 1.6180339887 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:08 pm

dru wrote:Man, come to Perth. It's awesome here.
:lol:
a+b is to a as a is to b

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:30 pm

abletontrainer.com wrote:I lived in Sydney for a while about 10 years ago, there is obviously plenty going on there and the weather is a bit better than Melbs, but culturally I think Melbourne is better
^^Wot he said.

Melb has a less abrasive vibe as-a-city than Syd. But if the big abrasive city vibe is what you want . . .

Melb is greener, leafier and generally a bit nicer to look at. Both are great for clubbing though. . .

@Rob C: Nah..... Auckland is just "Sydney for Beginners" :wink:
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:36 pm

dru wrote:Man, come to Perth. It's awesome here.
Is it cheaper than Brisbane?

How much is it to rent a one bedroom flat for 4 months, november to march, with good standards, close to beach?

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:32 pm

EVERY Australian I have ever met was cool people. What the hell is going on down there? We need some of that in LA.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:24 pm

i live in sydney atm but lived in both... it's more prettier here and the weather is great, beaches are awesome, nightlife is fine also depending what your into but it's fuckin expensive to live here. a shitty 2 bedroom apartment close to the city will set you back 2 - 2.5 k aus a month . people are ( really generalising here) more arrogant and stuck up also..... more a money, husstle busstle look out for no one but my self, party till i'm an arse then spew in a cab on the way home sort of vibe in the city

melbourne isn't as pretty, weather sucks 4 seasons in one day. but living there is sooo much easier than in sydney people are more relaxed have a more a sports, arts, music, cafe/restaurant based city life.. just sorta seems people are more friendly , night life really does shit's on sydney .. public transport is alot easier than in sydney, there are big parts of sydney not serviced by public transport and without a car life can get frustrating as it covers a really really big area .

brisbane is a big fuckin country town :P hot and humid as fuck even in the middle of winter it's fuckin hot half my family live in QLD they ask me to move there.. no chance in hell cheap though.

perth is very pretty but it's the most isolated capital city in the world i do hear really good things about it though

both have pros and cons and no matter what you choose living in australia is the best.
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:18 am

People keep saying the weather sucks in Melbourne.

Fact- It rains more in Sydney than it does in Melbourne.

True, it gets a little colder down here, but we put on clothes. They can keep you warm. :wink:

I think the '4 seasons in one day' actually adds colour and vibe to a wonderful city full of art, culture and depth.

You will meet better people in Melbourne. We rock! :lol:

I've been to Sydney.....meh :|

My opinion on this Melbourne Vs Sydney thing may be a little bias.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 am

Winter is cold in Melbourne during Winter and it rains during summer, the only reason I'd move to Sydney would be for work TV production. The music scene has always been better in Melbourne than Sydney, there's more pubs and the clubs and bars aren't as pretentious.

Perth is good of you work in something to do with the mines, Queensland is good if you want the laid back lifestyle.

I've always lived in Melbourne, about to travel the states for a month which I'm looking forward to, Europe is so far away and expensive

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Sydney great but getting more like LA with sniffer dogs everywhere...
Melbourne is the traditional home of electronic music night life
and it has the Australian shipping ports for lots of things entering the country...
Perth has some suprisingly good results with their DnB producers n crews
Brisbane is great but you wont believe how hot and humid it gets. Aircon required.
Sydney rent is a ripoff and real estate agents are scum. seriously.

BUT we have clubs and gorgeous women in every city!
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce