Are you thinking about ditching Live for...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swiffy

Are you thinking about ditching Live for...?

Post by swiffy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 am

As far as production purposes have you thought about switching DAWs because of your frustration with Live 8 (or for whatever reason)? Presonus and Reaper have caught my attention. I am very impressed with Presonus's customer service via online forums. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if they came out with some kind of controller in the future for studio one. Right now I will just deal with the cakewalk sonars crash partner ableton live.

leedsquietman

Re: Are you thinking about ditching Live for...?

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:05 am

No. I came to Live from Cubase because of issues with Steinberg - broken promises over updates for SX3, dropping support for DX plugins with no notice in C4 until the boxes were on the shelf and then having a very arrogant attitude, proceeding to lock many threads and ban forum members for pretty minor stuff, etc, etc.

However, I am using Cubase 5 at home a lot just recently and enjoying what it does well, although I continue to compose and arrange in Live.

I tried the Presonus demo - It was quite good but not enough at this stage for me to drop Cubase. And I use Logic regularly at work and I wouldn't say that Logic users need to go dumping it just yet either.

Reaper is fine for basic tasks - I use it for mobile work,when I dren;t risk losing the Cubase dongle. It is getting better all the time but still lacks the advanced MIDI and audio features I am used to in Logic and Cubase.

Be careful about switching DAWS. It's a lot of time and effort getting to know a new system and the grass isn't always greener. Live is still a great and unique product, in spite of some stability issues for some right now in L8.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

cenik11

Re: Are you thinking about ditching Live for...?

Post by cenik11 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:39 am

I love Live as a production tool; it does (nearly) everything I could want. One day down the line I may switch to Traktor for DJing but for now I'm still using Live. I plan to pick up a Lemur in October when they're available once again; at that point I'll decide whether to switch over to Traktor.