Anyone, U-eh Filterscape

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bodhi71

Anyone, U-eh Filterscape

Post by bodhi71 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Thinking of buying it. Feedback, good, bad.
Already own Zebra and with the rumored upgrade of some type of audio filter, would this be a redundant purchase?

bodhi71

Re: Anyone, U-eh Filterscape

Post by bodhi71 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:26 pm

P.S. I have a Dodge 1500 for sale also.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:26 pm

It's really complex and programmable, but kind of mellow. Good for adding rhythmic nuance more than vicious sweeps. I opted for buying the Uhbiks, because the Runciter filter included in that package is a big, fat envelope-controlled bastard that spits out pain (and is apparently going to get even better). And the other effects in the package may seem like redundant things you don't need, but once you have them, you'll be using them, because they sound creamy and professional as hell.

Another interesting Urs creation is the More Feedback Machine...I've only messed with the demos of both filterscape and MFM, but MFM is the one I'll be more likely to eventually buy. It is the Uberdelay, and therefore potentially the uberflange, uberphase, uberchorus as well...you can make a lot of different effects with a delay that awesome.

The Zebra filters are being reformatted to include some newer designs like the one he included with Bazille, which is a real grinder. He's reformatting the controls a bit, adding more filter types to the XMFs, etc. But they're still just going to be regular synth-style filters, so if you want something that moves independently, and that you can use on any instrument you'd like, go with Filterscape or Uhbik.

I guess in a sense these things will be redundant, because you'll be able to use the Zebra filters as an independent effect with Zebrify. While that's a nice feature, I guess I'd generally rather use simpler dedicated effects than pull in an FX version of a synth just to use its filter. The best thing about Zebrify is that groovy pitch tracking. :)

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:10 pm

filterscape is really amazing. there's not too much else like it.

I haven't really gone as deep as I'd like, but I plan on digging deeper in the future.

So far I've liked it for a few things. You can do a really interesting form of subtractive syntheesis with it.

Also really detailed stuff like formants and vocal kinda sounds.

and the usual u-he quality and free updates etc etc.

try demo!

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:49 pm

there's no doubt it's a quality plug-in, and you do get three different modules with it. If money was no object, I'd definitely own everything the guy makes.