In-ear headphones

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatmakers77

In-ear headphones

Post by beatmakers77 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Anybody use em and if so what kind? I been using the Audio Technica QuietPoint Active Noise-Canceling ear buds for a while now and I been a fan.

uku

Re: In-ear headphones

Post by uku » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 pm

I used the Etymotics ER 6 for a long while and found that they were worthy of mixing on. Better (when you factor in the comfort and portability) than any headphones I'd used prior to that, including some of the AKG and Sony behemoths.. I also used the Etymotics to commute and on airplanes, where I treated them rather roughly. Unfortunately they didn't last more than a year or so. I've since gotten some of the Ultimate Ears in a comparable price range (maybe a little cheaper) and found that they aren't as good. OK for listening but not mixing. The Etymotics seemed to contain so much information in the top end, not emphasized but simply clear.

Either that or I've just gotten a little more deaf in the interim.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 pm

i only use some shure E-2 (i think they are called, they changed the model names / numbers recently) for my iPod.

if i would need some for a stage or the like i would buy some Ultimate Ears... or if my break.
*** Image GAFM ***

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 pm

I have some Shure E2's and E3's I love, they sound really nice for the money.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 am

Haven't found a pair I like yet.

WidowTwanky

Post by WidowTwanky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 am

Another plug for the Etymotics ER-6 - I picked up a pair a couple of years ago and find them simply amazing. The highs are so clear, and the bass is solid, not boomy or muddy. The only drawback is that you have to really ram them into your ear or you'll miss the full frequency. And unless the fit is right, they can become uncomfortable quite quickly.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:55 am

mate of mine bought some stupidly expensive ones. no idea the make, but i remember gasping at the price, they sucked ass and still sounded like everything was coming through a biscuit tin. Give me some big fat wop off headphones any day of the week

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 am

Emissary wrote:mate of mine bought some stupidly expensive ones. no idea the make, but i remember gasping at the price, they sucked ass and still sounded like everything was coming through a biscuit tin. Give me some big fat wop off headphones any day of the week
it might be that they don't fit properly. vital issue is the fitting... once you go over a level of shure e4 or ultimate ears tripple5... you should invest into a custom molding... it's about 80 euros in germany and will improve the sound and experience by easy a 100% if not more, no joke, it's really nearly all about the fitting at some point...
*** Image GAFM ***

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Emissary wrote:mate of mine bought some stupidly expensive ones. no idea the make, but i remember gasping at the price, they sucked ass and still sounded like everything was coming through a biscuit tin. Give me some big fat wop off headphones any day of the week
it might be that they don't fit properly. vital issue is the fitting... once you go over a level of shure e4 or ultimate ears tripple5... you should invest into a custom molding... it's about 80 euros in germany and will improve the sound and experience by easy a 100% if not more, no joke, it's really nearly all about the fitting at some point...
Absolutely, the in ears are all about fitting, though by chance some may fit particular ears without mould (but say at max. 80%).
However be warned that that tight fit is double edge sword- killer from health point of view. Using even closed cans, and worse tight IEM means depriving your ears of airflow-it is not hygenic, it is not healthy if over extended period of time. My personal conclusion, IEM are for stage/ musician performance (for DJing I like to have cans on/off all the time), closed cand like HD 25 for Djing and open like AKG 701 or Sennhs HD650 for studio.
The sound quality, details, definition of those upper class Shure and UE, like Sub mentioned, is amazing.
Question do anyone needs it, even want it on stage ? The cheapest from Shure or UE, specially with custom moulds will be 100x better then any box monitor anyway I see no much point spending 500 or more unless they will be used for listening pleasure or "detective" (no question those are ideal to search for errors, almost unaudiobile details etc) studio work.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm

i also think it's only worth it if you use them for IEM on stage.
*** Image GAFM ***

beatmakers77

Post by beatmakers77 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:Haven't found a pair I like yet.
I've been having the same problem. :?

Anyone try these monster turbines? They're kind of mid-range price, I guess. Look pretty cool, but i haven't tested em out yet

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3959

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 am

A tweeter and two woofers in an in-ear headphone!!!!!! That's all I have to say.

Shure SE530 are the greatest headphones in the world...and also the most expensive.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:17 am

I will correct myself before other people do. The most expensive and most "high end" would definitely be Ultimate Ears headphones.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 am

Bizon wrote:I will correct myself before other people do. The most expensive and most "high end" would definitely be Ultimate Ears headphones.
Not even close.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:27 am

^^^ :?:
*** Image GAFM ***