What happened here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McQ714

What happened here?

Post by McQ714 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

there used to be a time when a man could do anything. he could fix his car and build a shed. he knew the value of a dollar saved and spent it sparingly. now the society is a bunch of lazy sacks of... umm, potatoes! they don't want to have to learn to do anything themselves anymore. they want everything done for them and they'll pay ridiculous amounts of money to get that. the movie Wall-E comes to mind as an example. we are turning into a bunch of sheep.

yet at the same time, we are getting increasingly opinionated on the way things should be and don't take action to change things that we think need changing. and the actions we do take, don't make any sense.

as a whole, humans are walking contradictions.

funky shit

Re: What happened here?

Post by funky shit » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:44 pm

id easily pay somebody to walk to the chippy for me.
im young enough, i dont know how it was in the "old" days.. my father cracks up at me when i say

me - "OMFGZZZ I HATE WORK"
da - "You dont know what work is son"

my generations fucked.. the "myspace generation" apparently.

ah well.. at least im on PC and not MAC

LOLZ *DUCKS*

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:17 pm

I started a post like this awhile back but I blamed it all on the lack of gender role expectations. Now both sexes are expected, or allowed, to do roles that were typically associated with the opposite sex. But instead of people becoming a jack/jill of all trades they just became a collective sack of useless that pays for everything they should be able to do themselves.

Other than that, no opinion.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Blame it on the Ableton programmers. If they would get on the ball this world would be a world of go getters. I feel like all they do is watch as we spin into oblivion when its totally up to them to fix everything.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Text from the preface of "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 pm

whoa... 8O 8)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57 pm

TD... did you just have a Keanu moment?

t-t-t-t-take the red pill.. the red pill!

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 pm

McQ714 wrote:there used to be a time when a man could do anything. he could fix his car and build a shed. he knew the value of a dollar saved and spent it sparingly. now the society is a bunch of lazy sacks of... umm, potatoes! they don't want to have to learn to do anything themselves anymore. they want everything done for them and they'll pay ridiculous amounts of money to get that. the movie Wall-E comes to mind as an example. we are turning into a bunch of sheep.

yet at the same time, we are getting increasingly opinionated on the way things should be and don't take action to change things that we think need changing. and the actions we do take, don't make any sense.

Wow!!! 8O 8O
you really took that mac pc thread seriously didn't ya???
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:11 am

@ pitch black

No sense dealing in absolutes. I'm scared shitless that they're both right...

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:22 am

Pitch Black wrote:(inset comic of huxley and orwell here)

Text from the preface of "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman
i completely disagree with that comic its a very surface level look on society and bears nothing on what is happening really, they where both right but they where both wrong both idea are happening at once which is why the world is in such a state
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:40 am

welcome to the changing world...its only going to keep on changing, might get better might get worse...and if you believe in 2012 well then who knows whats coming...
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 am

McQ714 wrote:there used to be a time when a man could do anything. he could fix his car and build a shed. he knew the value of a dollar saved and spent it sparingly. now the society is a bunch of lazy sacks of... umm, potatoes! they don't want to have to learn to do anything themselves anymore. they want everything done for them and they'll pay ridiculous amounts of money to get that. the movie Wall-E comes to mind as an example. we are turning into a bunch of sheep.

There is a LOT of factors here at work McQ714. We are both into skilled trades and see the fruits of men's skilled labors everyday. MANY people never see that in practice from the standpoint of practical hands on application. They don't even like to look. Why? Because it threatens their notions of self sufficient survival. In short, it contradicts basic instinct so we fear it.

So much of what you are referring to is opportunistic programming via mass media. CREDITORS. We are programmed to accept and practice the notion that if we believe we need it, because we want it, get it. Do so "intelligently" with as little effort and sacrifice as is possible because if we don't, it must be because we aren't smart enough to. It's a basic appeal to the ego. A con.

Another HUGE one is out and outright technology advancing faster than is practical to keep up with. Case and point: Automobiles. It used to be you could actually crawl up under the hood of the average car and fix the damn thing without a 2year degree and a 10K laptop/scanner. Garage based Gearheads are a dying breed. No matter how much natural aptitude you have, it'll only take you so far. You can't even rotate the tires on your own vehicle now without a tool that costs several hundred bucks to reset the tire air pressure monitoring system. It's out of control and trust me, it's getting much worse QUICK.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 am

reducing it to gender roles is ignorant

laziness knows no gender

the world isn't as bad as people make it out to be though...

things that have been hidden for years are now coming to light.

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:05 am

we would make great pets...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:22 am

hurlingdervish wrote: the world isn't as bad as people make it out to be though...
We live in a world that is literally sitting minutes away from complete destruction every second of every day. Can you live in a world full of people who think nuclear weapons are a good idea and think "things aren't that bad" it's not the weapons that are disturbing, it's the people who think those weapons are a good idea that disturb me.

Do you think all the people at Heroshima think the world is a great place?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.