Snow Leopard-ish bug with Live 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fuzzbinder

Snow Leopard-ish bug with Live 7?

Post by Fuzzbinder » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 am

i installed Snow Leopard quite recently and I have to say Live's performance has improved drastically, at least for my Core 2 Duo Macbook, since Apple obviously solved the annoying speed-step issue, which made my CPU jump to 88%, when playing the Performance-Test. Now it's 48%, so you see what I mean.

BUT, since my system upgrade I found one nasty bug (which is actually good, just one bug after a system upgrade, but though), that can be very easily reproduced. Just load any piece of audio anywhere and switch the warp mode to "Complex" or from Complex to something else, especially while the track is playing. Voilà, Live crashes instantly and it's not asking me anything like "do you want to restore your last liveset" when i start it up again. So my "workflow" is, SAVE the Liveset, stop playback and cross fingers, before switching warp modes. I can't tell 100% if just the use of Complex mode is already reason enough to make Live crash, but it happened already.

I didn't have this issue with Leopard, it has nothing to do with Plugins or something, since i turned them off and i use Live 7.0.16. I tried the Demo of Live 8 and there this problem didn't occur either.

So will there be a last update for Live 7, or do i have to upgrade to solve this issue.

thanks

oblique strategies

Re: Snow Leopard-ish bug with Live 7?

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 am

Sorry to hear about your crashing.

Anybody else running Live 7.0.16 & Snow Leopard with this problem?

:?:

I'm on the same version of Live, & want to upgrade to Snow Leopard at some point in the future.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:00 am

Fuzzbinder wrote:i installed Snow Leopard quite recently and I have to say Live's performance has improved drastically, at least for my Core 2 Duo Macbook, since Apple obviously solved the annoying speed-step issue, which made my CPU jump to 88%, when playing the Performance-Test. Now it's 48%, so you see what I mean.

BUT, since my system upgrade I found one nasty bug (which is actually good, just one bug after a system upgrade, but though), that can be very easily reproduced. Just load any piece of audio anywhere and switch the warp mode to "Complex" or from Complex to something else, especially while the track is playing. Voilà, Live crashes instantly and it's not asking me anything like "do you want to restore your last liveset" when i start it up again. So my "workflow" is, SAVE the Liveset, stop playback and cross fingers, before switching warp modes. I can't tell 100% if just the use of Complex mode is already reason enough to make Live crash, but it happened already.

I didn't have this issue with Leopard, it has nothing to do with Plugins or something, since i turned them off and i use Live 7.0.16. I tried the Demo of Live 8 and there this problem didn't occur either.

So will there be a last update for Live 7, or do i have to upgrade to solve this issue.

thanks
L7 is not cerified for Snow-Leopard, neither L8 is. Read Dom's sticky.
Write support.

- Best Regards
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Fuzzbinder

Post by Fuzzbinder » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 am

yes, i read dom's sticky. but my post was more like a concrete warning on the one side, and also the question if 7.0.16 is really, really the last version of live 7.. (which i don't hope)

remcoy

Post by remcoy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Doesn't happen for me.. Live 804 / Mac Pro

evolwizard

Post by evolwizard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 pm

I recreated this problem 5 times in a row. Anytime you modify the warp mode selector during audio playback, Live crashes hard. Although, I was prompted with the recovery option.
Live 7.0.16 and Snow Leopard.
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

v76

Post by v76 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm crossing my fingers there will be an update for 7. :oops:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:04 am

remcoy wrote:Doesn't happen for me.. Live 804 / Mac Pro
Perhaps because you're using Live 8... :?

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Same issue here. On the few occasions that Live hasn't crashed when switching warp modes... If switching into complex mode from another mode the sound quality turns into what I would describe as 'the equivalent of a 64kbps mp3!' The only way to get the quality back up to what it should be is to restart Live.

JayEpoch

Post by JayEpoch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm having the complex warping problem on 7 too in Snow Leopard.

Can any 8 users in Snow Leopard confirm that 8 doesn't have this problem?

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 pm

I can confirm that Complex mode in older Live versions is incompatible with Snow Leopard. The Complex mode is based on zPlane's "Elastique Efficient" algorithm (www.zplane.de). zPlane has already released a fix for it. There will most likely be a final update for Live 7 which includes this fix.

Live 8 is not affected, because it uses v2.1 of Elastique Efficient which works fine in SL.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 am

Hey that is great news Nico.

I actually rolled back my Mac OS to 10.5.7 yesterday as the problems with Live 7.0.16 & SL were getting to me, It's perfect now but would like to go back to SL at some point in the future.

Apart from the complex mode of Live 7 causing instability some of my plugs were crashing Live too, namely ABL2 and Phoscyon, whilst I understand that this could be due to the 3rd party plug being incompatible I thought i'd mention it, just incase you haven't already got enough testing to do! :lol:

Jalebee

Post by Jalebee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 am

when can we expect a fix for live 7 ??

Have been having major issues, and now have no option but to roll back to 10.5 :(

Lucidity

Post by Lucidity » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Same issue here with Live 7.0.16 and OS X 10.6.1.

Submitted a bug report, but already figured it was probably down to the architectural changes in Snow Leopard that are the cause.

I do hope that there can be a patch for 7, but I wonder if because Snow Leopard has changed quite a lot, that it would require almost an entire re-write of Live?

anirog

Post by anirog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 am

[nis] wrote:I can confirm that Complex mode in older Live versions is incompatible with Snow Leopard. The Complex mode is based on zPlane's "Elastique Efficient" algorithm (http://www.zplane.de). zPlane has already released a fix for it. There will most likely be a final update for Live 7 which includes this fix.

Live 8 is not affected, because it uses v2.1 of Elastique Efficient which works fine in SL.

Best,
Nico
When will Ableton release a fix?