Apc40 Live DJ: best external mixer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Magik

Re: Apc40 Live DJ: best external mixer

Post by Magik » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:49 am

I havn't gotten into djing yet, just producing but it sounds fun and I'm going to start playing around with it and buying some hardware. Gabrielsaint says you just need the APC and you like having your mixer cuz the EQ's on multiple channels is easier and more clear and straight forward. I understand that but to spend the money to get a mixer worth keeping for a while just to do that seems a little over the top for ME.

What else do you use yours for?

AntzInYourPantz

Post by AntzInYourPantz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am

I sold my A&H Xone 3D after I received my APC-40.
My current set-up: Pioneer DJM-600, Giga-port HD 4 channel stereo soundcard, APC-40 and macbook Pro.

As some others I prefer a regular mixer next to the APC-40
As to your question:
In my opinion The Xone 4D would overlap with the APC-40 on midi-controls. And the APC-40 is so much better.
I prefer the Pioneer mixers to A&H (Some like Mercedes some like BMW).
You can save money (and space) when u use a good quality analogue mixer with external soundcard.

piotto

Post by piotto » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks,

i have just ordered the Denon DN-X1700.
so you don't even have to bother w/ a soundcard.
Macbook Pro, Apc40 and DN-X1700, just 3 pieces of gear, and only 2 USB connections, no other cables involved.
I will post results/impressions once received.

Antz, while waiting for this new mixer, i'm exactly using an ultralite + a DJM-600 (like you).
How is your "ergonomic" setup?

What i mean is that i still get a bit confused, maybe is just a matter of practicing (i'm still used to having one deck on the right and one on the left).
So far i have put the apc40 on the right, and the mixer on the left.

After many tries i have reserved tracks 1-2-3 to the mixer tracks 1-2-3, and tracks 4-5-6-7-8 plus the effects returns to the mixer track 4, like someone on this post suggested, thanks, great one!
I use tracks 1-2-3 for tunes, and 4-5-6-7-8 for grooves, samples and FXs.

I am still a bit confused on having mixer and controller...

For instance if launch a clip and then start browsing around (more than 5 rows -> so losing the yellow button from sight) i often do not remember if the clip was on column 1, 2 or 3...
So i have to go back to the mixer and watch the signal leds, get the track number and go back to the apc...
(I wonder if some programmers could transform the apc REC button switching on when a clip in the same track is playing...)

Also for cueing (i cue from the mixer), i have to prelisten clips launcjing them on the apc but while chosing cue button in the mixer... a bit messy, but hopefully is just a matter of getting used to it...

Anyway, i still find a proper mixer much more reliable than using the live internal EQs via apc40, I'm happy with that.

AntzInYourPantz

Post by AntzInYourPantz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:34 pm

My set up during Gigs is build in a flightcase. Which was originally set-up for something else (Xone 3D w/o APC-40)
I use in addition 24" Samsung screen (mainscreen for Ableton) and I Use my MacBP screen for itunes.
In the middle below the big screen I have the mixer; (but I prefer to have the APC-40 there!)
Currently the APC-40 is to the left and the MBP is to the right.

I set-up 5 channels in Ableton. 4 stereo audio-channels to channel 1-4 on the mixer.
The fifth channel I use for Loops etc. This fifth APC channel is also on channel 4 on my mixer.

In terms of effects I use Tarekits Super Looper and EQ-3 (he's the greatest!) and Fade To Grey
The APC 40 PAN controls I've reset to EQ-3 buttons (Which I usually don't use during live-Gigs)
The Cue level button I use to control the BPM.
The Play, STOP and Record buttons I've changed to Loop on/off and start end.
And I changed the activator buttons to clip view.
I don't use return and sends.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers

Gianluca

Post by Gianluca » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 am

Hi Piotto!

I'd like to know how the X1700 is working out for you in combination with the APC40? I own an APC40 and I'm looking for an external mixer, so I'm having the same issue as you were having :)

So far I'm interested in the X1700, DJM800 or a Korg Zero 4.

So, any tips? What do you think of the X1700?

Thanks man!

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:31 am

I"m getting into DJing and producing and I've been looking at a Vestax 600 and Launchpad combo. Seems pretty good.

piotto

Post by piotto » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Gianluca wrote:Hi Piotto!

I'd like to know how the X1700 is working out for you in combination with the APC40? I own an APC40 and I'm looking for an external mixer, so I'm having the same issue as you were having :)
Hi GL,
It took me many hours of browsing around.
The final mixers for the Ableton Live + APC40 setup were the Xone 4D and the DN-X1700.

The Xone 4D has been having issues for a long time (apparently all fixed now), and lack of internal effects, even if having a great filters section.
I ended up choosing the DN-X1700 since it looked more versatile to me.

I put everything in a Numark NS7 case, just perfect.
The mixer on the left, and the APC40 on the right. It took me a couple of hours to set everything up, but now it's very well ventilated and very easy to set up for live gigs.
I just go with my NS7 case and a handbag with the macbook pro and a uberstand, connect two USB cable and the power adapter and ready to go.
I even put a Marantz PMD661 always connected, underneath the APC40 (there's plenty space in the case), so i can record my gigs live and, in case of a software problem, i can quickly play a pre-recorded gig on the fly while rebooting the system (never happened so far, knock on wood).

The setup is just perfect and gave me a lot of satisfaction, even if the learning curve to perform live with "ableton live" is pretty steep.
It takes time to set up properly the clips, but once you are done the results are amazing.

There are TWO major issues though, and i'm very annoyed with that, since almost 4 months have past and nothing really happened, even if at denon they keep saying that they they're "almost solved"...

1) a random audio interruption. it happens an average of 3 times per hour. just a small little audio interruption. i pretend it is the sound system and make a funny face every time, but i know it's just the mixer... that apparently is a mac-only problem, and it seems like they're working with apple on that.

2) a incredibly no-sense lack of project development, and namely (so far), the DN-X1700 doesn't accept a "MIDI CLOCK IN" from ableton (or any other daw).
That is complete crap. It is of course my bad that i didn't try to find it out BEFORE buying the mixer, but HOW THE HELL can you forgive to give the users that option??

Imagine how much you could do with the mixer FX sections perfectly synchronized (slaved) to Ableton Live's Master Tempo...
On the contrary, you should instead tap every time or adjust manually the tempo, simply ridiculous.

Of course if you play house or techno at a steady tempo you won't have this issue, but i'm changing quite often the BPMs, so i can not use the X1700 FX while playing, too bad.

Once those two things will be solved, i highly recommend the setup, it's really cool, you should see it glowing at night, and the audio quality is really good. I also use the internal limiter which is also a very good option. Plenty I/O, nice feel under your hands.

My 0.02$, bless up

piotto aka Dj Riquo, Tortola, BVI