All times are UTC

Post subject: Ableton Live and External Hard Drive
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:47 pm 

Hi everyone. I have Ableton Live, and I use it regularly, I have one problem though. When I record using Ableton Live, the CPU usage increases very rapidly. No problem, I just freeze tracks I am not using. But when I am using Ableton Live, live different story. The CPU usage increases, and I can't freeze the tracks because I am recording into them, and looping them live. I have an external hard drive, and I want to know how you all allocate all of the Ableton Live program data, and audio files. If someone could give me an example of how they do it, it would be much appreciated.

(the main hard drive on my computer has 100 GB)
(the external hard drive has 465 GB)

Post subject: Re: Ableton Live and External Hard Drive
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:51 pm 

I try not to use an external drive when performing because of bandwidth limitations with firewire/usb. I've now got a laptop that's just for performing, so the hard drive is mostly clean....well 30-40 GB free, which is plenty for me.

Are you having HD dropouts? What are your system specs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:10 pm 

Microsoft Windows XP

Ableton Live 6
Intel (R), Pentium (R), 4 CPU
2.93 GHz
98.3 GB free space (main hard drive)

462 GB of free space (external hard drive)

(ya, i have dropouts, and crackling, and distortion when I have a couple of tracks, and plugins)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm 

How much RAM?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:27 pm 

512 MB of RAM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:46 pm 

I'd highly recommend upgrading to at least 1 GB RAM, preferably 2 GB.

I believe part of your problem is that your computer is having to move data back and forth between RAM and hard drive too much because you have too little physical memory. That's eating up your CPU and causing the dropouts and distortion.

You should be able to play and record at least 6 tracks with your machine, if you have sufficient RAM.

Also, what sample rate / bit depth are these tracks you're playing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:55 pm 

Malachi865 wrote:
512 MB of RAM

Definitely not enough. Increasing to 2 gig is a must if using a p4.. Also what rpm is your system drive and external? System drive needs to be at least 5400rpm. My p4 came 4k rpm drive and there was no way live was going to work with that. Do you have a Hyper threading machine? If so turn it off, usually an option in the BIOS. Have you done any other system optimization?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:04 pm 

As for sample rate/bit depth it is 44100. For the rpm of my hard drive, and external I don't know (how could I find that info). And system optimization, no I haven't done any other system optimization.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

A few thoughts on optimization.

I am definitely no expert (hopefully others can correct this info if it is wrong) but after wrestling with a compaq p4 3.2ghz xp machine with Live 6LE, I came up with the following levels of optimization, all of which helped tremendously:

At a foundational level, the three things that made the biggest difference to performance was Ram, Hard Drive and a clean Vanilla install of XP. 512Mb of Ram simply is not enough, even though the official spec's said it was. Ram is cheap or even free if you are in the know. I upgraded to 2 Gig.

The Hard drive in my machine was a 4000rpm PATA drive. A very good free little application is HD Tach Download it and use it to check the spec's and performance of both of your hard drives. It will tell you the speed and the data transfer rate. Compare the spec's between your system HD and Ext HD. Remember these are average rates. I upgraded to 5400rpm, and would have gone to 7200 rpm if I could have found one.

If you can find someone to help you install a fresh Vanilla copy of XP, you will have a good chance of getting rid of unwanted software conflicts. You will have to find drivers for your video card (I had someone do this for me so I don't know what else driver wise). This made a big difference for my machine.

Depending on the above and how much is already in place, the next level of attention is how your machine uses its resources. You can get a visual look at this by downloading and running this DPC Latency Checker Its a free application. Spend a decent amount of time with this. I found with my machine that red spikes occurred on a regular basis every 10 min or so. Red spikes are not your friend. Now you can think about disabling a few things. Right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab> Device Manager. You will see a list of devices your computer uses. Some of them can be disabled permanently like the Floppy disk controller and the LTP printer port, and some on an as needed basis like your CD/DVD drive, wireless internet card etc, and then double check the DPC Latency tool. The two that made the biggest difference for my machine was the CD/DVD drive and the wireless card.

Try googling 'Optimizing Win XP for Audio'. You will find a number of articles to read that will also offer other optimizing tips, if you feel you need to go to a deeper level.

The next level of optimization is at a software level. What other things do you have going when you are using Live? Basically turn off as much as you can, such as Antivirus, and anything you have set to run automatically at any point.

I also recommend Using Ultimate Defrag This product, I have the paid version which gives you 10 licenses, allows you to strategically place Programs and Audio files toward the outside of your Hard Drive, and your non audio stuff like images and less used programs towards the inside. There is a performance gain to be had ( although you will find some who disagree).

Also DL this CCleaner free application and use it on a regular basis (both the cleaner and registry application) to 'clean' your machine. You can also use it to disable applications that load on start up. This is a good way to make sure as much of your system is available for use as possible.

A couple of other things to consider is if your video card uses system RAM. It most likely does. In this case, it might be possible to change the amount of RAM being used. This is usually done in the BIOS settings. My p4 machine can go from 16mb to 128mb. Its a great way to maximize the ram you have available for system crunching. Also, some p4's have hyper threading technology, and there are recommendations that disabling this will help. Unfortunately my machine does not allow me to do this.

The good thing about working through all of these things is that it will help you understand your equipment better, and give you a good understanding as to why you may need to make changes or decide to upgrade. Even though I do not use Live on this machine anymore, it still runs fantastic (its my Sony Acid machine).

Keep your machine as lean as possible. Hopefully others will chime in if I have misled you or missed something out.

Cheers and all the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 pm 

thanks for the tip. I will look into everything you said.