Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smartass303

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by smartass303 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 am

@ subfunk:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 am

smartass303 wrote:@ subfunk:
LOL

p.s. how did you found a picture of my dad?
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 am

smartass303 wrote:here:
http://onlyaabutxxx.tumblr.com/post/138 ... logy-shape

dein vadder,

few, i am lucky that you did not meet him at KitKat, now that would have been embarrassing! (or food for children jokes)
*** Image GAFM ***

Pyramid Audio

Post by Pyramid Audio » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks a lot for posting this. I am a big fan of his music both musically and sonically.

My favorites being Alfacocha LP and the Fabric LP. Brilliant, timeless work.

A great sonic reference for those trying to make music that works in clubs.

A lot of his stuff has bass so low (sub-30hz) you can't hear it on normal speakers/monitors (I can 8) ). But when you hear it on a proper system your whole body feels it.

Big V

Post by Big V » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Please, don't put Zappa, Eno and Ricardo in one sentence! That's simply inappropriate. Especially concerning talent, humor, knowledge and primarily the times!
Ricardo Villalobos won't ever be comparable to a person like Zappa and that's OK. :wink:

Do you really think that drugs have such an impact? I would doubt that.. But I'm not so much in the scene.

I've read some enlightening articles the other day. One was an interview with Boyz Noize in Juice and the other was an kind of interview with (Fela Kuti) funk drummer Tony Allen in Spex. Allen talked about how our Western societies put us in prison like anti-democratic regimes. The only difference is that we tell ourselves that we're free. But we're not! We're not even close to being free in Germany, at least IMO.

The majority of StudiVZ users that aren't allowed to vote yet would vote CDU if they could!

http://blog.studivz.net/2009/09/22/gros ... ent-hurde/

WTF!? Wir sind Deutschland! Isn't it sad?

What's so special about Zappa? He had a vision and he knew how to translate it into reality and he didn't give a shit about what others wanted; that's what makes an artist..

And Zappa was always distanced! He did a lot of crazy things but was not crazy at all! He was above such things!

Best, Flo

P.S: I didn't win the fuckin lottery today! Not one number right! I hate it! :lol:
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

Pyramid Audio

Post by Pyramid Audio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Anybody know what he is saying in the studio? I got the subtitles but they're only for the end part.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Pyramid Audio wrote:Anybody know what he is saying in the studio? I got the subtitles but they're only for the end part.
mainly esoteric drug crap he is talking. i don't think you missed something,

two things i remember:

1, he is on the search of the truth in sound and music.

2, he talks about meeting old people here in berlin who can tell amazing stories about analog systems,
such as that japanese people who buy stuff developed for hitler and listen their classical music on it.

3, and it came across that all his Music is a product of random and coincidence, nothing planned or forced.

4. about using drugs and alcohol to stay on a level of a child [?]
(that bit i honestly not even got properly in german, i mean by all respect, he is so off his face, i don't mean particular in the video, but the way he talks at times, shows that he has certainly damaged a massive part of his brain with substances, his speech ability is so heavily reduced, therefor hard to get what he is on about, i have also witnessed that in many other interviews with him* *don't get me wrong that has nothing to do with his music or DJ-ing, just the way he talks and expresses things... )

i try to translate properly if i find the time, i find him utterly boring, thou...
Therefor i am not neutral, but if someone searches truth in sound & music, then i just shut completely off.
*** Image GAFM ***

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Big V wrote:Please, don't put Zappa, Eno and Ricardo in one sentence! That's simply inappropriate.
No it isn't - I was only referring to people (and cited these three as examples) whose life, and lifelihood, depends on music - and I am referring to the relative risk involved in doing so. I could have named any musician, including myself.

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 pm

FORMAT wrote:
Big V wrote:Please, don't put Zappa, Eno and Ricardo in one sentence! That's simply inappropriate.
No it isn't - I was only referring to people (and cited these three as examples) whose life, and lifelihood, depends on music - and I am referring to the relative risk involved in doing so. I could have named any musician, including myself.
Alright! :)
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

ton

Post by ton » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Destro wrote:Just found an interesting video interview with the maestro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiQxT4p ... annel_page
Is Live really that bad in sound quality compared to Logic, as Villalobos says in this interview?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 pm

i am not old
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 pm

There was a nice movie on Arte last friday, called "29 Palms".

henke

Post by henke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:58 pm

ton wrote:
Destro wrote:Just found an interesting video interview with the maestro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiQxT4p ... annel_page
Is Live really that bad in sound quality compared to Logic, as Villalobos says in this interview?
Yes. It is absolutely impossible to accomplish anything serious with it. It cannot even compose.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

^^^ does it at least produce drugs?

i am thinking of getting it to get real high.
*** Image GAFM ***