Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
m:o
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 am
Location: Dreiländereck
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by m:o » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:48 am

opened the links to the public.
will be ok.
4770K/Live9Suite/Max4Live/Push/RME UFX/NordModularG2X/Machinedrum SPS1 UW/Elektron Analog Four/MBase11/Adam A7X

http://soundcloud.com/sphereandlowthing

Destro
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Destro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks a lot for this m:o, but I can't seem to download via the rapidshare links. Would be really grateful if you uploaded the videos as a torrent, or better yet to youtube. Thanks again!

m:o
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 am
Location: Dreiländereck
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by m:o » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 am

Destro wrote:Thanks a lot for this m:o, but I can't seem to download via the rapidshare links. Would be really grateful if you uploaded the videos as a torrent, or better yet to youtube. Thanks again!

pm'ed
4770K/Live9Suite/Max4Live/Push/RME UFX/NordModularG2X/Machinedrum SPS1 UW/Elektron Analog Four/MBase11/Adam A7X

http://soundcloud.com/sphereandlowthing

Destro
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Destro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 pm

m:o wrote:
Destro wrote:Thanks a lot for this m:o, but I can't seem to download via the rapidshare links. Would be really grateful if you uploaded the videos as a torrent, or better yet to youtube. Thanks again!

pm'ed
Finally got it! Didn't understand a word but getting a glimpse of his home studio made my day. Is he using Logic?

m:o
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 am
Location: Dreiländereck
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by m:o » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Destro wrote:
m:o wrote:
Destro wrote:Thanks a lot for this m:o, but I can't seem to download via the rapidshare links. Would be really grateful if you uploaded the videos as a torrent, or better yet to youtube. Thanks again!

pm'ed
Finally got it! Didn't understand a word but getting a glimpse of his home studio made my day. Is he using Logic?
yep, its logic.
smoeone over at mnml.nl did english subtitles
http://www.hoerist.com/RicardoSubtitles.zip

there you go

i havent subed all, only the conversations starting at

27:17
29:19
35:12

no bitching about my englisch Very Happy
4770K/Live9Suite/Max4Live/Push/RME UFX/NordModularG2X/Machinedrum SPS1 UW/Elektron Analog Four/MBase11/Adam A7X

http://soundcloud.com/sphereandlowthing

Big V
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Big V » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Well, looks a little bit to me as if he's got no real clue what he's doing in the studio.. :lol:

I'm home sick with the flu, not able to concentrate on reading or anything similar, won't even mention music, so I decided to watch the entire 24 hours on Arte+7.. 8O

I have to say it's a real cool concept! Similar atmosphere to Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain or Stranger Than Fiction.

There were a few moments that nearly brought tears to my eyes, like the elderly woman suffering from cancer in the hospice which wasn't allowed to visit her home for the last time.

It's awesome how the filmmakers constantly zoom in and out and show the micrcocosms and macrocosm of the city. All the different people, longing for different things, but going all the same route down to death; somehow it all makes sense.

To me this documentary is more about human life than it is about a particular city.

Funny thing is that some months ago I happened to see the couple with the corpulent pregnant lady which is portrayed giving birth to their child in the regional train!
Berlin isn Dorf, Alda! :lol:

Thanks for the Links! :)
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

Destro
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Destro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Big V wrote:Well, looks a little bit to me as if he's got no real clue what he's doing in the studio.. :lol:
What makes you say that?

Destro
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Destro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Just found an interesting video interview with the maestro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiQxT4p ... annel_page

Big V
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Big V » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Destro wrote:
Big V wrote:Well, looks a little bit to me as if he's got no real clue what he's doing in the studio.. :lol:
What makes you say that?
He's got a monitor system designed to resemble the sound of club PA systems. Then he spots some eruption of the amplitude in the very low frequencies, so low that he thinks that this must be the reason he can't hear it. If he can't hear it, at least he should feel it because of the way his monitor system is designed. Or am I wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to judge if he's good or bad at what he's doing. I don' have a clue.. :wink:
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

FORMAT
Posts: 1776
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by FORMAT » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 am

rikhyray wrote:Talking Arte- great docu last Sunday "swinging soundtracks" or something like that check the website ,since it will be repeated in coming days. Featuring Quincy Jones, Michel Legrand, Holmes, Barry and more, some fascinating facts, packed with film+music most brilliant moments, such delight to hear/see those scenes again.
Another fascinating film was shown 2-3 weeks back about Stockhausen, including some XXX gear pron- synths from 50s,even more interesting to see and hear how Stockhausen was using it lots of facts ,stories from people who worked with him from Boulez to studio technicians.
Do you know where one can watch this!? I would appreciate any info!

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 am

Big V wrote:
Destro wrote:
Big V wrote:Well, looks a little bit to me as if he's got no real clue what he's doing in the studio.. :lol:
What makes you say that?
He's got a monitor system designed to resemble the sound of club PA systems. Then he spots some eruption of the amplitude in the very low frequencies, so low that he thinks that this must be the reason he can't hear it. If he can't hear it, at least he should feel it because of the way his monitor system is designed. Or am I wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to judge if he's good or bad at what he's doing. I don' have a clue.. :wink:
hey, i got the same impression that he is clueless and just has the money to buy fancy stuff, like thousands of others. especially if you understand german and how he talks about what he is doing, but maybee you and me got a bit that impression too, because he is always sooo... off his nuts, he certainly comes across like it's been years ago that he had a real clear mind. lucky most of you don't understand german, though in parts it was pretty... :roll:
Last edited by SubFunk on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 am

Also it's not a monitor system, it's a esoteric hi end home hi fi freak system.
*** Image GAFM ***

Destro
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Destro » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

SubFunk wrote:
Big V wrote:
Big V wrote:Well, looks a little bit to me as if he's got no real clue what he's doing in the studio.. :lol:
He's got a monitor system designed to resemble the sound of club PA systems. Then he spots some eruption of the amplitude in the very low frequencies, so low that he thinks that this must be the reason he can't hear it. If he can't hear it, at least he should feel it because of the way his monitor system is designed. Or am I wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to judge if he's good or bad at what he's doing. I don' have a clue.. :wink:
hey, i got the same impression that he is clueless and just has the money to buy fancy stuff, like thousands oc others.
Can you quote a few examples of his alleged cluelessness in English? Thanks!

IMO, his works show a mastery of electronic music production, so it's strange to suppose that his works are the result of random, intuitive tinkering and not an artist in total control.

Nick Shepherd
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by Nick Shepherd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 pm

he definitely is far from clueless - imho he is brilliant...

i think he just developed a very "esoteric" way of expressing himself :lol:

especially when he talks about his music, or his perception of electronic music in general - i laughed so hard when i saw the interview with Ricardo & Luciano in the movie "Feiern"... he looked sooo wasted and even though german is my native language i didnt really get the point of what he was trying to say *g*

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Ricardo Villalobos feature on Arte "24h Berlin"

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:he definitely is far from clueless - imho he is brilliant...

i think he just developed a very "esoteric" way of expressing himself :lol:

especially when he talks about his music, or his perception of electronic music in general - i laughed so hard when i saw the interview with Ricardo & Luciano in the movie "Feiern"... he looked sooo wasted and even though german is my native language i didnt really get the point of what he was trying to say *g*
first of all i said he makes the impression, secondly being 'clueless' does not make you a bad artists or not a genius...

maybe we should divide having a clue about something, i actually think (personally!) that a real great artists must be clueless, it is someone being abel to express visions and is creative, maybe even sort of crazy, and speaking of Ricardo, he is crazy and permanently off his face, i never ever encountered him anywhere close to being sober, not on TV or in real life. that does not make him a bad artists nor a bad person at all!, still the way he talks about making his music is a way of taking everything random and he just waits and takes his time until it 'appears' or 'happens' he is not controlling it in any way forcing anything...

it's pointless to argue about his music, it's a matter of taste. period.

i think he is a great artist, but i also think he is clueless in certain terms of music and engineering, i am convinced he would never be able to mix a track of let's say a death metal band or a jazz combo after there wishes and come up with something decent the band wants to have.

but again it's pointless to compare. being a creative person you can't learn, anything else you can, why should he, he makes music for a certain genre and group of people he fits perfectly well in, he doesn't need to have a clue...

he is what he needs to be an artist an he is an esoteric freak and a junky nothing wrong with that.

it's not my cup of tea, though, but this is not the point of discussion.
*** Image GAFM ***

Post Reply