OT POLL: do you give a crap about Beatles remasters?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

do you give a crap about the beatles remasters?

Yes, I think old music sounds BETTER re-done with digital-age technology
25%
No, I like the way old beatles albums sound just fine
15%
No, this is clearly just the usual beatles-money-grab-marketing cycle that pops up every few years
60%

Total votes: 52

Ajbbklyn

Re: OT POLL: do you give a crap about Beatles remasters?

Post by Ajbbklyn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Lennon and his one chord vamp songs (Come Together) and McCartney with his incredibly melodic compositions (Strawberry Fields.)
TD - Point of information: Strawberry Fields is all Lennon.

[/old fart baby boomer]
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Everyone has an opinion and likes different stuff - it's OK to not like or 'get' The Beatles or Hendrix. I'm certainly not the Beatles biggest fan, I don't like much of their early catalogue and as musicians, only McCartney is a stand out musician, mostly because of his multi-instrumentalist capabilities. Ringo's beats and George Harrison's simplistic lead playing (McCartney often played lead, or told Harrison what to play) are not Earth shaking talent. John Lennon was a great songwriter and an intelligent guy who could play a bit of simple piano and guitar.

However, plenty of people did/do like them and their sphere of influence has been a big part of shaping music and music technology as we know it, so kudos to that. Eric Clapton was a flashy player for his time, the Van Halen off his era if you will, which amazed people, but as we have known a long time (and he has known), many people came since who could play faster, louder and with better technique, hence his morphing from 10 minute pentatonic blues solos with Cream on stage, to pedestrian pop songs like 'WOnderful Tonight', 'Lay Down Sally' and 'Tears In Heaven'. His songwriting developed as his guitar playing became more retarded. Then again, Eric was seriously f***** on heroin and coke and alcohol for about 12 years, the fact he did anything at all during that period is amazing - even if it was shite.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Anubis wrote:
The Beatles were way ahead of their time, even by modern standards. They were in fact the first "samplists".
Without mentioning 20th century avante garde musique concrete peoples like Stockhausen, and focusing instead on pop music, how about The Mothers of Invention, Freak Out - released June 27, 1966

That one was a big influence on Sgt. Pepper'.s And a mighty fine listen. Perhaps I'll take a sample or two from that myself (and risk Frank Zappa's anger from beyond the grave!).

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I certainly don't think anyone is stupid for not "liking" an artist or a certain type of music. That's like saying someone is stupid because they don't like a certain food.

But it is incredibly clueless to think of them as "over rated" when they have ALREADY made such an incredible and undeniable mark in musical history as they obviously have.

I am certainly not that big of a Beatles fan myself, but I certainly know why and how they made such an incomprehensibly large impression on the face of rock music. That's because it's quite easy to see and understand beyond personal taste in music. This is true of countless 10s of artists. Look at Chuck Berry, Bill Haley & The Comets, Dick Dale or Johnny Burnette.

If you listen to them and think, my God, what did anyone ever hear in these bozos? You've missed the point (OBVIOUSLY!!) because via what was heard of them, they already have managed to change the face of music forever. The question takes on a whole new context when you are dealing in reality and not just isolated personal opinion.

I don't care for the Beatles because they suck = Fine

The Beatles were over rated, unimportant, worthless bags of wind that couldn't play their instruments = No reality

I am glad the Beatles catalog is being remastered. Why? Because the technology is in place to make their catalog sound much better than when it was originally digitally remastered.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Danny Cedrone absolutely kills on electric guitar on Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around the Clock"! Blazing chromatic riffage!

I like the Beatles ok. But I would never find myself owning or playing any of their stuff. It is culturally ubiquitous, played as muzak in dentist offices. People shout their song titles when I play in small towns, and I shout "Hanson" back. Even been known to play a few measures of Hmm Bop, which usually shuts folks up so we can get back to the set.

Now if they had shouted Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - that'd be different!

Did the Stones and the Beatles ever rumble? My moneys on the Stones to kick their asses.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

mojofunk wrote:Danny Cedrone absolutely kills on electric guitar on Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around the Clock"! Blazing chromatic riffage!

I like the Beatles ok. But I would never find myself owning or playing any of their stuff. It is culturally ubiquitous, played as muzak in dentist offices. People shout their song titles when I play in small towns, and I shout "Hanson" back. Even been known to play a few measures of Hmm Bop, which usually shuts folks up so we can get back to the set.

Now if they had shouted Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - that'd be different!

Did the Stones and the Beatles ever rumble? My moneys on the Stones to kick their asses.
:lol: I don't know who you are or when you might be coming to town, but if you hear some crazy out in the crowd yelling "Fairies Wear Boots", you'll know that'd be me.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm

DrXparaMental wrote::lol: I don't know who you are or when you might be coming to town, but if you hear some crazy out in the crowd yelling "Fairies Wear Boots", you'll know that'd be me.
That'd absolutely make my day! I'll be listening! Actually the band I've been playing with most lately is a sorta chill soul pop type thing - all original, but just to tweak expectations and get a perverse chuckle I tend to wear Sepultura or Biohazard type t-shirts! I'd hate to do the expected . . .

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:57 pm

levimoniz wrote:
wildcon wrote:Joy division - Love will tear us apart. Again one of my faves, but we're talking 'one' great song, not album after album of great songs.
Wrong.
One might even be tempted to say 'no reality'...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:17 am

The Beatles and The Stones were actually mates in real life, away from all the media hype.

Ditto Eric Clapton, the Who and others.

The Stones did good things in their first few years, but their albums after Exile On Main Street are mostly all crap. They didn't really push any boundaries, except for being one of the first bands to use reverse reverb and try and shock people with songs let's 'let's spend the night together' and 'sympathy for the devil'. (yes, this was shocking in 67/68 folks, can only imagine how Public Enemy would have gone done in that time !!!!)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.