I'm not hiphop enough for rapper apparently..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Android Bishop

Re: I'm not hiphop enough for rapper apparently..

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:06 pm

its pretty epic tarnce-y sounding, not funky or street at all

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 pm

It's good to try different things but there's a reason most artists don't release albums with 10 different genres on it. Most can't do every style well, or even beyond whatever their general genre is.

Similarly it has always amazed me throughout my music dealings how many people have said "Make it/me sound like [insert artist with major label backing here]" simply because I have a computer with a music program on it. Or even making similar critiques about my own music. $*%&($&(#@!!! If I could instantly make a track sound like any and all hugely successful artists I wouldn't need my day job.

This inspires another thread....

Destro

Post by Destro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 pm

djsynchro wrote:the gated synths are not hiphop although they COULD be Lady Gaga uses some cliche trance sounds to great effect.
Whatever style you're shooting for you need to back off on the reverb on the drums! Too long & too much - Shit needs to be bone dry fo deze daze fo' real dawg!
Peas out!
Timbaland uses gated synths a lot and his stuff is undoubtedly hip hop. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VY3Anw1BAQ

Agree with leaving the drums bone dry tho!

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 pm

the gated synths are kinda trancey, but hiphop and rnb have been using trancey presets for a couple of years now.

trance gate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2UNuMASn-Y

hard dance/trance leads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXnF20R ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVANVSkWjs

but if rappers don't get what you do, then just don't deal with them. They're just followers and not leaders. The people who first used these trancey sounds in hiphop probably did just because grooveboxes from the mid 90's were really cheap and that's all they could afford, not because Lil Wayne or someone else used it.
That's all they could afford and used their creativity to make the most out of it, use your creativity to make the most out of whatever you want to do. If what you want to do is have MCs rhyme over your stuff, then find forward thinking MCs and not followers.

my 2 cents

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:23 pm

oh, someone else beat me to the example of timbaland's use of tarnce gates :)

it was an obvious one..

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Wrong Timbaland uses either hipclippers or hopfloppers, they're volume based effects too - but not quite the same as a Tarncegate.
Also becoming quite popular is the bitchswitch.

w0rd

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 pm

djsynchro wrote:Wrong Timbaland uses either hipclippers or hopfloppers, they're volume based effects too - but not quite the same as a Tarncegate.
lol :mrgreen:

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:56 pm

hip hop is dead.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 pm

hip hop is the sound Funky Shit's mom's ass makes in leather pants on a hot Saturday afternoon at the swap meet BBQ. it's very alive and well.

use the track twice, it's all for fun anyway! strip it down and slow it up so MC tard can spit over it. then do your own thing with it. who cares if you have two top ten hits on the charts with the same beat? Funky Cold Medina and Wild Thing were the same beat.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:30 pm

^ he's right you know (not sure about Funky's mum but the rest)...

If dude wants to sound like lil wayne... let him... on his own (with all the other lil waynes). Your beats not hip-hop in the mainstream definition, but hip-hop is a mixing of styles and always has been. I can see what he's saying, but at bare minimum he should have said it better... then again, maybe thats as deep as his roots get... if so, he's far from alone.

I'd spit over it.

The synth at the begining might be throwing it off the standard scent... If it was my track I'd probably cut off the first 10 seconds then maybe try automating the volume so that its full around the 18 second mark that way the drop comes sooner and heads can get to noddin. HipHop listeners aren't necessarily as patient as other more... electronica type genres. That or throw something more common in sample wise like waves on a beach or bar scene - all depending on the lyrical content.

Also, there's really no hi-hats and they can really make a beat sound more "hip-hop" *gritting teeth while typing that*. They don't have to be some tacky crunk type shit just some hats's on like 16ths with drop outs or change ups wrapped into the loop.

It sounds like more of an Epic beat to me. So no (more) talking about rims and 40s and guns and shit ( :? of course I feel that way about all beats and raps past 94 BUT STILL!) Its not a beat that you just spit anything over... its something that needs to be written to. I hear something bigger in there... Transcendence of some kind.. so definitely no ghetto past the verst couple of bars... "it used to be.... all better now its..." but therin lies the problem - you're getting in to a more rare breed of rapper.

just my .02
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Last edited by H20nly on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 pm

I did like the fact that you left the verse parts nice and open.. that seems to make it a little more "hip".. not as much "hop" but definitely "hip".

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:47 pm

MacGuffin wrote:but if rappers don't get what you do, then just don't deal with them. They're just followers and not leaders. The people who first used these trancey sounds in hiphop probably did just because grooveboxes from the mid 90's were really cheap and that's all they could afford, not because Lil Wayne or someone else used it.
That's all they could afford and used their creativity to make the most out of it, use your creativity to make the most out of whatever you want to do. If what you want to do is have MCs rhyme over your stuff, then find forward thinking MCs and not followers.
+1

this man has seen the light!

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:54 pm

nuxnamon wrote:so I made a track for a guy.. he say's it's not hip hop enough and sounds too electronic... needs more of the "lil wayne" sound as he put it.. he wanted me to change a bunch of stuff but I declined and am using the track for my group instead.. maybe it is true and it is not hip hop but I also know lil wayne isn't really hip hop either. anyways, if you have time, click on my sig and listen to a track called "twisted" and give me feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/souls-diary

also, if you know what constitutes a hip hop beat, please enlighten me..
a nux haven't heard it yet but I was just curious is your group a hiphop group?

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:05 pm

just listened to the track, I like it.
Fabulous would rap over that, as would Lupe Fiasco,
come to think of it kanye west would also

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:14 pm

dunno man^^^

its about as hip hop as royksopp

its composed very well tho

but rap beats aren't about the quality of composition..the beat is supposed to serve the rapper not your (excellent) skills

the more room you leave for them to rap the better