Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:45 am

briwest wrote:the windows pc is a 3ghz pentium 4/5 with 3gb ram.
that PC should run twice as fast as that G4 if setup right.

youve actually gone backwards in terms of hardware power, but if you get enjoyment out of the G4 and it inspires you to make music then its probably a bargain.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by starving student » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:13 am

briwest wrote:Have Ableton installed, but having a few issues, reckon I should probably reinstall it (Ableton 7.something)

Mac G4 Mirroured drive doors
1.25GHz dual core
512mb ram (upgrading soon)
70gb HD (upgrading soon)
OS X 10.2.8 (probably upgrading to 10.5 soon)

Besides it being 6yrs. old and running faster than my 2yr. old Windows XP machine.. The sound out of it's stock core audio chip is AMASING!!! and it was all for $150 (monitor, mouse, keyboard, and 15in. display).
happy that you're happy cause that's what's important.

but you might want to check the performance thread and compare some 2 year old PCs to your mac and then you'll be even happier knowing that you've got a mac that's faster than your pc and a pc that's waaaaaaay
faster than your mac. all for less than 150

porfiry
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:02 am
Location: Lincoln, NE
Contact:

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by porfiry » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:21 am

Definitely ditch the 10.2.8 immediately...that version was the ultimate pile of turd. Even just 10.3.anything would be way, way better. If my options were either to switch back to 10.2.8 or switch to a random version of windows, I would be the world's newest MS fanboi. Running 3.1.1 for workgroups.

Why no barfing emoticon?

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:05 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote: 15" Apple Cinema Display
Sorry, I lolled at that.
Hope those Genelecs treating you well
Have you ever felt the majestic & futuristic delight of powering up a G5 with the touch sensitive power membrane on an Apple Cinema Display? Life is too short to miss out on this lovely experience.

Seriously though, I like these older flat Apple monitors a lot more than the metallic ones or the current glass thing they make. I joke about the power button thing, but all kidding aside, I absolutely love it to death. These monitors may be small, but it's the best $25 bucks you can spend on eBay barnone.

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by ethios4 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Not sure why you bought that for use with Live. Ableton never did altivec optimization for Live because it was unnecessary once Intel Macs came out. Therefore performance of Live on the old Macs was always significantly less than on a similar windows setup.

Rogue Scrunt
Posts: 1272
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs, USA

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm

g4=weak

especially for Abelton Live
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

briwest
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI; Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by briwest » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 am

Seems to work fine, but we'll see when I load some VSTs, but that will probably be after I upgrade the ram. Understanding right now that I really can't afford much more than what I bought as I'm restoring a 67 Ford Fairlane.


some of the people sound like the mindset of some DJs in the past who held the mindset of "if it's not vinyl, it's crap". I've migrated quickly to the "whatever makes the crowd happy is what I'm going to play on". Besides most of the crowd don't really know, and possibly could care less what I play music on as long as it comes out sounding good. I could play on 2 iPods and if it makes them happy, then that's good!

Yeh, this thing inspires me to make more music, because unlike in the PC (I was a PC tech, and Network Admin, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing) where I get heaps of sound dropouts from recording audio, this mac does that as well as I would like it to. I also learned from a DJ at Guitar Center (know him pretty well now) that the P4 CPU wasn't quite Intel's greatest achievement as they were going to the Core 2 Duo and I reckon just put out the P4 to keep money coming in.

Either way, this PC works great, and does what I want it to do. But yes, as was stated, a software upgrade is a must in the near future.

adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:57 am

briwest wrote:Seems to work fine, but we'll see when I load some VSTs, but that will probably be after I upgrade the ram. Understanding right now that I really can't afford much more than what I bought as I'm restoring a 67 Ford Fairlane.


some of the people sound like the mindset of some DJs in the past who held the mindset of "if it's not vinyl, it's crap". I've migrated quickly to the "whatever makes the crowd happy is what I'm going to play on". Besides most of the crowd don't really know, and possibly could care less what I play music on as long as it comes out sounding good. I could play on 2 iPods and if it makes them happy, then that's good!

Yeh, this thing inspires me to make more music, because unlike in the PC (I was a PC tech, and Network Admin, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing) where I get heaps of sound dropouts from recording audio, this mac does that as well as I would like it to. I also learned from a DJ at Guitar Center (know him pretty well now) that the P4 CPU wasn't quite Intel's greatest achievement as they were going to the Core 2 Duo and I reckon just put out the P4 to keep money coming in.

Either way, this PC works great, and does what I want it to do. But yes, as was stated, a software upgrade is a must in the near future.
Your DJ friend is talking shash about the P4 unfortunately. They are a very capable chip apart from some threading problems in the early revisions, and there are probably more servers still running on some iteration of that chip than anything else in the world.

If you get fun out of that Mac then its worth it, but I wouldnt spend a single cent more on it, as youll get much more bang for your buck investing into a new Mac or PC. Its already quite obsolete, but thats the relentless march of technology for you. :)
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

briwest
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI; Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by briwest » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 am

If you get fun out of that Mac then its worth it, but I wouldnt spend a single cent more on it, as youll get much more bang for your buck investing into a new Mac or PC. Its already quite obsolete, but thats the relentless march of technology for you. :)
I only plan to upgrade the storage, ram, and OS in this thing. Other than that, it's to me not really worth it after all those. A lot of money spent on something that really isn't going to gain that much more. As the guy said, own this thing for a year, get really good at the MacOS and then get something amasingly faster and have fun with it.

So I have a year to save however much a new fast Mac will be in a year. Also just talked to a friend I've known for many years about the cost of computer parts, and how they've gone down in price so much. People now almost hesitate on telling me an X will cost this amount, thinking it's really expensive, and get shocked when we give them a debit card and say "here!!" with a surprised look and a smile. Then they get confused because of our reaction, but we tell them that back when we did computer building, the cost was nearly 4 times that amount for the same thing.

Yes, I built my first PC running Windows 95.. It was an AMD K6/2 133MHz 32mb ram, 80gb hd, 8mb video card, lower end sound blaster card, and back then that was blisteringly fast. Also a 17in. ViewSonic CRT perfect flat monitor which was bigger than anyone else's that I knew at the time. I also remember when mp3s came out, and the only song that was really available was Aqua - Barbie Girl and everyone played it because it was an mp3. Winamp was also out, but very few people actually knew how to use it with mp3s.

Back then, Macs were still considered toys. Very few applications that people used everyday would work on them. They were mostly for playing games, typing, and other stuff that was considered "fun", not work. Almost made more sense to buy a console videogame system. The Sega Megadrive was my "Mac" so to speak.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by starving student » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:04 am

you're the it tech, what were you doing taking advice from a guitar center dj about computers, I'm just ribbin ya :D but that does sound funny.
glad the mac is working out for you, watch out for the honies

snakedogman
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Finally bought a PowerMac G4!!

Post by snakedogman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 am

briwest wrote:Besides it being 6yrs. old and running faster than my 2yr. old Windows XP machine.. The sound out of it's stock core audio chip is AMASING!!! and it was all for $150 (monitor, mouse, keyboard, and 15in. display).
wow! AMASING! :roll:

Post Reply