GR-20, Rig Kontrol & Ableton (quick question)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shtreimel

GR-20, Rig Kontrol & Ableton (quick question)

Post by shtreimel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 am

I've searched this forum (and checked the Roland manual) and have not been able to figure out the config to chain the Roland GR-20 to Rig Kontrol.

For MIDI: I believe it's MIDI OUT (GR-20) to MIDI IN (Rig Kontrol).

For Audio: Is it Guitar OUT (GR-20) to Input 1 (Rig Kontrol)?

Also, do I need to muck around with MIDI channel settings in GR-20 & Ableton (or Guitar Rig) to have my guitar trigger soft synths in Ableton?

Thanks so much.

DrXparaMental

Re: GR-20, Rig Kontrol & Ableton (quick question)

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:00 pm

shtreimel wrote:I've searched this forum (and checked the Roland manual) and have not been able to figure out the config to chain the Roland GR-20 to Rig Kontrol.

For MIDI: I believe it's MIDI OUT (GR-20) to MIDI IN (Rig Kontrol).

For Audio: Is it Guitar OUT (GR-20) to Input 1 (Rig Kontrol)?

Also, do I need to muck around with MIDI channel settings in GR-20 & Ableton (or Guitar Rig) to have my guitar trigger soft synths in Ableton?

Thanks so much.
I am not sure I understand you here, but I don't believe the GR-20 outputs midi notation or general midi commands. It might but I know my older V-Bass (Metal Unit) does not. To access Live I believe you need to use the GI-20 to "interface" live. Other than their newer 99 series, which I think is what they're called now, there is no real midi out other than basic Roland midi proprietary commands. Roland's real weak in this sense. That's why I am going, and recommend going, Axon with respect to interfacing Live. We are a sick bunch, aren't we? :lol:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Looks like your connections are correct to me.

I am assuming you need to send the GR-20 midi data on a different mid channel to the Rig Kontrol though, to avoid your GR-20 controlling Guitar Rig or Live's midi mapped control functions but just to trigger a synth on a midi track inside Live.

So, your guitar goes into GR-20 and both midi and audio come out of it and into Rig Kontrol as your interface to Live, Live then recognises the midi data from your rig kontrol on 2 different channels and your guitar audio from input 1.

Assuming the Rig Kontrol is defaulted to Midi channel 1, then change the GR-20 to midi Channel 2. (or the other way round if it's easier to program)

Then all channel 1 messages will control Guitar Rig and Live mapped controls and Channel 2 can be your guitar midi notes sent to the synth on a midi channel.

Then just select 'midi from' in the Live synth track to 'Rig Control midi port' (or whatever it's called) and 'Midi Channel 2' instead of All channels.

Should work like a charm.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Oh, just read Dr X's comments...it's an all in one synth box thingy this GR-20. Then I guess no need for midi out at all. just audio to your Rig Kontrol as the only synth sounds you can have are the ones in the GR-20...if i understand correctly.

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Actually I just plugged it all in, and it works. So there ya go!

Well, sorta...

The pads sound great, but the bass patches are very glitchY. And then I found this post on an NI forum:

It seems that the Roland GR-20 sends its midi output according to th paramaters of the patch that is currently selected on the GR-20 - so to get your nice controlled legato information sent out as MIDI data, you must choose a patch that has nice controlled legato on the GR-20 itself - even though the unit is not generating tone, it still uses the patch parameters to control MIDI data sent. (Roland explains this nowhere in the manual!)

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:13 pm

That would make sense, but thats bloody sweet if it triggers other synths as well.

Top fun!

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 pm

shtreimel wrote:Actually I just plugged it all in, and it works. So there ya go!

Well, sorta...

The pads sound great, but the bass patches are very glitchY. And then I found this post on an NI forum:

It seems that the Roland GR-20 sends its midi output according to th paramaters of the patch that is currently selected on the GR-20 - so to get your nice controlled legato information sent out as MIDI data, you must choose a patch that has nice controlled legato on the GR-20 itself - even though the unit is not generating tone, it still uses the patch parameters to control MIDI data sent. (Roland explains this nowhere in the manual!)

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
I'm not sure I follow you. How are you assigning the midi from the GR-20 to Live?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 am

I'm intrigued too.

This thing converts your actual audio input to midi notes and outputs them but only with other parameters as selected by the current patch on the unit, is that what you're saying?

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:33 pm

UKRuss wrote:I'm intrigued too.

This thing converts your actual audio input to midi notes and outputs them but only with other parameters as selected by the current patch on the unit, is that what you're saying?
That's what someone else is saying. I was trying to figure out why, certain patches in Ableton work better than other. Specifically, the pads sound great, but the bass sounds are glitchy.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Damn, thats still pretty funky though. Might have to check one out myself!