Max4Live released soon? New video uploaded by AbletonInc

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

magestro

Re: Max4Live released soon? New video uploaded by AbletonInc

Post by magestro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 am

O.K. i guess they got me with this one - though i`d like to know if you are able to use more than 16 Steps

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:07 am

Definitely, did you watch it to the end?

KainProject

Post by KainProject » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 am

I'm not that impressed with the M4L patch showcased, not much use for it besides some DJ effect, or when you lack inspiration and want to just mess around..
But what I am exited about is would this movie mean that the impending release is coming closer? :D

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:17 am

they just have to get it out finally! even just as a beta, who cares?

i hope, really much, that they get a release done the end of next week.

why? because i would have holidays for a week after next week :)

i'm currently stuck in ableton, not being able to use it for live performances till max4live is out. so i'm quite.. annoyed? bored at least..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:22 am

What I'm excited about is that we can hack on these devices, I struggled to learn PD but I have a feeling I might be able to actually use this, especially if the tutorials are up to Ableton's usual standard. With good useful starting points like this sort of device I'm thinking I might actually be able to build some tools that are unique to me, and that's something I've wanted for years.

magestro

Post by magestro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:36 am

Martyn wrote:Definitely, did you watch it to the end?
Yes i did, though according to your Comment i missed a likkle sumthin, :o

and of course creating own patches within live is eveen more interesting.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am

Does anyone else find the guys voice who does these vids INTENSELY annoying!!, even more than the deep voiced black dude from last time. These vids always feel like someone is whispering sweet nothings in my ear while fucking my ass. But yeah MAX4LIVE looks ace, just bring the dam thing out!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am

Emissary wrote:Does anyone else find the guys voice who does these vids INTENSELY annoying!!, even more than the deep voiced black dude from last time. These vids always feel like someone is whispering sweet nothings in my ear while fucking my ass. But yeah MAX4LIVE looks ace, just bring the dam thing out!
Not annoying at all. But Dennis does almost sound like John Hodgman. Who earns a lot of money for voice work.
It is hard to compete with my sexy Belgian accent, there's no denying that..

magestro

Post by magestro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:18 am

hoffman2k wrote: It is hard to compete with my sexy Belgian accent, there's no denying that..
:lol:

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 am

magestro wrote:O.K. i guess they got me with this one - though i`d like to know if you are able to use more than 16 Steps
no sorry. max is 32 bit, ergo 16 bit per channel (left and right).
step sequencers work by one bit per step, so 16 bits (for stereo 32 bit) is 16 steps.
only is you work in mono will you be able to get more than 16 steps (but max 32).
obviously once live adopts a 64 bit engine will you be able to get more than 32 steps.
???

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 am

8O 8O 8O

thanks for posting this!

WANT!!!!!!!!!!

curious how this works with non-beat related material,combined with a grain delay and other soundmanglin' goodness

WHEN?!??!??!?!

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?

good thing i put Maschine up for sale.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

leonard wrote:
magestro wrote:O.K. i guess they got me with this one - though i`d like to know if you are able to use more than 16 Steps
step sequencers work by one bit per step, so 16 bits (for stereo 32 bit) is 16 steps.
only is you work in mono will you be able to get more than 16 steps (but max 32).
obviously once live adopts a 64 bit engine will you be able to get more than 32 steps.
Is the product of a particularly arid sense of humour? Can you point me to the evidence for this statement. Why should the incoming audio be stored in a buffer with only 16 slices? Why not something like slice length = bar length in seconds divided by n? I can readily imagine creating a step sequencer in max using a counter to iterate through any number of steps.( although I haven't had much experience using live audio manipulation in msp - so maybe that's where my ignorance lies :) )
Last edited by oddstep on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

leonard wrote:
hm you could programm it that way, but no one forces you to do it that way, so no, the 32bit processor, 2 channels don't limit to 16 steps at all.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:15 am

oddstep wrote:
leonard wrote:
Is the product of a particularly arid sense of humour? Can you point me to the evidence for this statement. Why should the incoming audio be stored in a buffer with only 16 slices? Why not something like slice length = bar length in seconds divided by n? I can readily imagine creating a step sequencer in max using a counter to iterate through any number of steps.( although I haven't had much experience using live audio manipulation in msp - so maybe that's where my ignorance lies :) )
hi, this isn't exactly quoted anywhere, it just accepted as common knowledge. the incoming audio is 32 bits right? 32 bits means 32 discrete levels which the audio can take, therefore the step sequencer can only take this amount of discrete steps. because you want stereo audio, and there's no more than 32 discrete steps coming in, the live engine naturally splits it to 32/2=16 steps for stereo audio. so, for stereo, you can only have 16 steps. hope that helps.
???