I need iPhone DJ help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

I need iPhone DJ help

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Hey all,

My wife and I are having a house warming party tomorrow to celebrate our first home. I love DJing at our parties, but this will not really be possible tomorrow (until later at night) as the wife has forbid me from disappearing into the studio during the day when everyone from her work is over. :(

I have wired up all the speakers in the house so that I can use Apple's Remote app for the iPhone to pick songs from my iTunes library no matter where I am. Then it dawned on me that there might be a way to get a little more hands on with a preloaded Live session doing the same thing. Anyone got any recommendations on apps that would let me at least launch and control the volume of clips from two tracks in session view? Not looking for anything fancy here, just something I can occupy myself with while grilling brats outside :) Are apps like TouchOSC and the like good for this simplemindedness?

Swamped cleanign still today, or I'd dive in deeper myself trying to find the solution. Any tips would be VERY welcome.

autogen

Re: I need iPhone DJ help

Post by autogen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:20 am

Touch OSC all the way. It's perfect for this kind of thing, and the patch editors so easy to use you could probably even knock up a quick custom patch to interact with Live exactly how you want to in 10 minutes.

I used it in a similar situation at a party earlier this year and it was quite liberating to be able to sit chatting with friends while mixing at the same time. Although because we were too far from the house to use the WiFi network I had to set one up on my MacBook Pro, and I occasionally found myself loosing connection and having to wander back towards the system to get Touch OSC to re-connect.
MBP 2.4GHz / OSX 10.5.8 / RME FF400 / Live 8.1.1 / Logic 8 / Pro Tools 8

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 am

You could use TouchOSC to do this pretty easily with OSCulator.
The latest version of TouchOSC has an editor, so you can make your own templates. You could throw together one with a few buttons for triggering clips, and a slider for each channel in Live in a few minutes.

(redundant now, since autogen posted a few seconds before me :) )

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:29 am

Hehehe you guys live in the future!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:44 am

just got an iPhone, iHappy.

I bought TouchOSC but Osculator is for Mac only.

FWIW I found help here, will try later.
http://www.gadgetcracker.com/2009/06/ho ... eton-live/
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:59 am

Thanks all. I saw the OSCulator is $20, or there's a free version with ads. Will the ads mess up the set, or is it only annoying if I'm actually at the computer? Second, I have NO time to set up my own template, but I see it comes with a default mixing template (the main image you see on the iTunes store). Can you scroll up and down clips with this?

Sorry, not being lazy, just pressed for time and hoping to get some help before I waste what little time I have :) Thanks!

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:22 pm

I'd suggest buying Osculator. afaik it cuts out every so often unless you've unlocked it.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Osculator all the way.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:30 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Osculator all the way.
yeah, it's good, but i think you really need to unlock... otherwise it will creep out for 20 seconds now and again...
*** Image GAFM ***

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 pm

It's worth the $20, trust me
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

blancodisco

Post by blancodisco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm sure your party is over by now.... so sorry this is late.
I think your best bet for the party would be use of Apple's Remote app and for iTunes control.

The Touch OSC stuff seems totally cool, but you'd certainly need a bit of prep to make that happen and you'll probably need to still put up party streamers and blow up balloons in the new digs...

I have another alternative, that is non-Live, so don't kill me.

Using iTouchMidi's iDJ app and Traktor, (T3 or Pro), you can effectively mix tracks in traktor, but, you'll still need view of a computer screen to select tracks.
So, Apple Remote I think is still your best option if unable to be in the same room as your computer.

Check out my review and templates here.
http://blancodisco.com/2009/02/01/itm-d ... ro-review/
benny blanco®
blancodisco
http://blancodisco.com

15" MacBookPro 8 GB RAM | MacPro 9 GB RAM | Phonic Firefly Universal | Axiom 25 | APC-40 | Edirol UM-880 | Loads of Hardware & Software Synths and Effects

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:31 pm

I ended up going with TouchOSC and Osculator, and yeah I had to buy it. Actually ended up being really easy to use, my first go messing with OSC left me with a positive feeling too. I set up 1 page with volume and low cut sliders, as well as clip stop and tempo control. Then I had 3 more pages with a clip grids so I could launch clips and see which ones were playing on 4 tracks. Worked great, thanks guys.

Deacon

Post by Deacon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 pm

as well as clip stop and tempo control. Then I had 3 more pages with a clip grids so I could launch clips and see which ones were playing on 4 tracks. Worked great, thanks guys.
I’d be interested to know how you do this. Do you have a link to an FAQ or something where this is explained?

I have touchosc set up and running with a basic 1 page mixer layout atm.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 pm

yeah! osculator for the win! it rulez!
osculator all the way! yeah!

Whoohoo! honk honk!
Drums