alesis mastercontrol?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mersault

alesis mastercontrol?

Post by mersault » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:02 pm

http://www.alesis.com/mastercontrol

I'm not sure I could bring myself to spending $900 on anything that says Alesis on it. ...though this is a lot of what I'm looking for - a mixer with multiple firewire i/o - anybody know of any others? under $1000? The new mackie line coming out only has a stereo return - wtf?!

josephjobling

Re: alesis mastercontrol?

Post by josephjobling » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:07 pm

yea thats alot of money - only 2 mic ins - only one has phantom power - not enouch i/o's i think.

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 pm

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1220/

Not a controller but a nice mixer + firewire.

josephjobling

Post by josephjobling » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:39 pm

zsazsa wrote:http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1220/

Not a controller but a nice mixer + firewire.
not bad for £550.00 4 mic ins (all with phantom power yea) still a pain if you have a drum kit to mic but for the price you can't go wrong with a mackie desk for 550.00 :)

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, you could hook up a some preamps on the stereo inputs if you want to mic a drumkit.
And four is still more than two.
Get a Behringer BCR or BCF for the controller part and he's ready to roll.
Still cheaper than the Alesis.

Allan A.Live

Post by Allan A.Live » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am

Don't spend one buck to alesis, their support is so terrible...

mersault

Post by mersault » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Their products are usually crappy too. I wish somebody could make a better version of this - for under $1000.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Well I think your mind is already in the right place, but if it helps any I have an Alesis mixer... MM8. I tried to figure out forever why I couldn't get more volume out of my mic, bass and guitars... the waveform was always thin and whimpy...

To make a long story short - I got a Presonus Blue Tube. The Alesis pre-amps just sucked. It does what it needs to do now, thanks to Presonus.

I would probably save up for something in the 1500 range before I dropped 800 on that Alesis. Although if someone has a real good experience with one I wouldn't doubt it. I just lost a lot of faith in the Alesis product when Presonus made such a HUGE difference in my chain. Now I get big beefy .wavs without the extra layer of white noise the Alesis gives me when I use gain. I actually don't need the gain knob anymore - I think this is a really good thing. :wink:

For what its worth though, the one time I had to contact support, about 4.5 years ago, they were helpful.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Allan A.Live wrote:Don't spend one buck to alesis, their support is so terrible...
What is bad about their support. Every time I contact support I am always personally contacted by Justin with excellent advice specific to my needs. They get back to me quicker than Ableton does, every time.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 pm

H20nly wrote:Well I think your mind is already in the right place, but if it helps any I have an Alesis mixer... MM8. I tried to figure out forever why I couldn't get more volume out of my mic, bass and guitars... the waveform was always thin and whimpy...

To make a long story short - I got a Presonus Blue Tube. The Alesis pre-amps just sucked. It does what it needs to do now, thanks to Presonus.

I would probably save up for something in the 1500 range before I dropped 800 on that Alesis. Although if someone has a real good experience with one I wouldn't doubt it. I just lost a lot of faith in the Alesis product when Presonus made such a HUGE difference in my chain. Now I get big beefy .wavs without the extra layer of white noise the Alesis gives me when I use gain. I actually don't need the gain knob anymore - I think this is a really good thing. :wink:

For what its worth though, the one time I had to contact support, about 4.5 years ago, they were helpful.
Where in the chain do you put the Blue Tube? I must admit I have the same issue with the wave form, but it differs from DAW to DAW, and whether I have passive or active pick ups on the guitars. I also find I have to really work my NT2000 mic really hard.

Thanks.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:37 pm

^

mic/guitar/bass/instrumentX plugged straight into the Blue Tube (2 inputs both are XLR or 1/4")
Blue Tube outputs 1 and 2 to Channel 1 and Channel 2 on Mixer (short cables)
Mixer to PC via Firewire
Live waits with open arms (open tracks) for the signal.
Tweak to taste. :wink:

It really is a massive difference for me. Setup alone dropped from 30 or 40 mins with instruments to < 5 mins. In Cubase you can (if you must) manipulate inputs in a meaningful way like adding compressors, gates, limiters and FX. That was a temporary, painful, time consuming, solution for me there, but I wasn't able to tweak inputs in Live. Its one of the reasons Steinberg managed to squeeze another year or so out of me when it came to recording audio. I don't have that "issue" any more. :wink:

edit to add:

I actually bought the TubePre, also by Presonus, first. I was so impressed that I went back for the BlueTube which is just a dual input version of the TubePre... or the TubePre is just a single input version of the BlueTube. Either way say good bye to weak little waves...

ONE CATCH... let the tubes warm up for 15 - 20 mins or so prior to recording. You'll be glad you did.