Sync/recording help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
soundwave

Sync/recording help

Post by soundwave » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi,
I have a drum machine-MD, Blofeld, and a midi keyboard controller. All audio is going into a mixer, out to Audio Kontrol-1 and out of AK-1 to amp.

Problem is this when I play drum machine and want to record blofeld, it also records the drum machine on that track...and I cant isolate it (i can see the audio (MD) 'playing' on all audio tracks)
Is there a way to have the MD playing, where I can hear it, but NOT record it into the track where I record blofeld?
I want to only record Blofeld, on that track.
I want to record the drum machine on another track but alone.
I have everything synced to the drum machine, so the drum machine must run, it activates live7.
I am recording audio only. How can I do that?
TIA
Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Tone Deft

Re: Sync/recording help

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 am

play and record each instrument alone.

"All audio is going into a mixer, out to Audio Kontrol-1"
so the audio is mixed coming out of your mixer? there's no fixing that inside Live. that's your problem.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 am

Tone Deft wrote:play and record each instrument alone.
That doesn't help. I can do that, but what's the point?
I want to play the drum machine and record various lines/melodies into live-more jamming thing then recording...
what I don't like is, I make a bass line and you hear bass line+drums..lead+drums...pad+drums.. if I want to mute all but bass line I have bass line+drums...

With the drum machine and Blofeld, I have to go into mixer-where else can i run the audio?
anyway, thanx for reply

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Take the mixer out of the equation. I don't know much about the AK-1, but it has at least 2 inputs, no? Instead of recording the signal from your mixer, can't you plug the synth and the drum maching into 2 separate audio channels on your interface?

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:49 pm

myxomat0515 wrote:Take the mixer out of the equation. I don't know much about the AK-1, but it has at least 2 inputs, no? Instead of recording the signal from your mixer, can't you plug the synth and the drum maching into 2 separate audio channels on your interface?
I probably could, but how would it work? What I need is a mixer that can ISOLATE a channel, where you can monitor it, but not record it if you don't want to...Call it selective recording... :idea:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:54 pm

your sound card is 4 channels (2 stereo pairs.) use one input for recording, another for playing through.

use a send on your mixer to separate out a track.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz