Advanced midi options in piano roll

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Advanced midi options in piano roll

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

I would love to have the kind of options that you finf in flstudio piano roll.

Cut tool : to make cool stuff like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvV1FLrjmck

Strum : Image

randomizer : Image

Riff machine : http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/htm ... l_riff.htm

Piano roll awesomeness features : http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/pianoroll.htm

More advanced features : http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/pianoroll.htm

Live doesnt has any of these really cool features. it would rock if implemented in real time.
Last edited by Tweaking Knobs on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Android Bishop

Re: Advanced midi options in piano roll

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:56 pm

fruity piano roll is, by far, the sickest piano roll ever. Wish Live would learn a thing or two from them

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm

In general, I find that the feature I want the most is more powerful MIDI editing. My desires are not just confined to the piano roll (although those features look nice) but also I would love to have some form of score editor or at least a score view so I could more easily import my creations from Finale and other MIDI score editors...
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:13 pm

heres a neat trick, didn´t know this until shortly. To make a snare roll: Highlight the notes, press Ctrl (apple) and draw a straight line in the velocity region. Now if you want an exponential curve, stick the velocity plug inside and apply drive.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Grappadura wrote:heres a neat trick, didn´t know this until shortly. To make a snare roll: Highlight the notes, press Ctrl (apple) and draw a straight line in the velocity region. Now if you want an exponential curve, stick the velocity plug inside and apply drive.

great thanx,

but all those tools , are so cool, and imagine then i real time ?

ableton piano roll actually sucks is so rudimentary.

You have to use 2 tools for one function like editing notes , you have to use one tool to add and delete notes and another one to move them 8O

why not just have an option to use one tool, left mouse button to add and grab and move , and right mouse button to delete, it speeds up the process 200% ( double as fast) fuckin double clicking to add one note is stupid .

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:
Grappadura wrote:heres a neat trick, didn´t know this until shortly. To make a snare roll: Highlight the notes, press Ctrl (apple) and draw a straight line in the velocity region. Now if you want an exponential curve, stick the velocity plug inside and apply drive.

great thanx,

You have to use 2 tools for one function like editing notes , you have to use one tool to add and delete notes and another one to move them 8O

why not just have an option to use one tool, left mouse button to add and grab and move , and right mouse button to delete, it speeds up the process 200% ( double as fast) fuckin double clicking to add one note is stupid .
What do you mean 2 tools to delete/add? Just double-click, no? That's all I have to do to either add or delete. To move, it's just click and drag.

I do think that FL's piano roll is top notch and yes Live would be better if they could um, *cough* steal *cough*, borrow those ideas and import them into Live's piano roll.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 am

It looks like Your gonna be able to make some pretty cool devices like that in MFL. if you check out the extend video there is some midi editor/processor stuff that will ship with the release.

/ i know you all must be sick and tired of people answering posts like this. but had to give it a go.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:21 pm

elxicano wrote:
Tweaking Knobs wrote:

great thanx,

What do you mean 2 tools to delete/add? Just double-click, no? That's all I have to do to either add or delete. To move, it's just click and drag.

I do think that FL's piano roll is top notch and yes Live would be better if they could um, *cough* steal *cough*, borrow those ideas and import them into Live's piano roll.

double clicking to add and delete notes sucks , if you have ever used one mouse button to add and move notes and the other button to delete, you will realise that the workflow is so much faster and inspiring.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:23 pm

elxicano wrote:
Tweaking Knobs wrote:

great thanx,

double clicking to add and delete notes sucks , if you have ever used one mouse button to add and move notes and the other button to delete, you will realise that the workflow is so much faster and inspiring.

and about staeling features , well , you could say that about :

the piano roll
the faders, the knobs
the sends ,

come on ...

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:It looks like Your gonna be able to make some pretty cool devices like that in MFL.
What if you dont want to buy Max4Live? Just do without yea?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Piano roll, browser and session automation are the 3 things i find need the most improvements now.
Without M4L.