unintentionally modified apc40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Illiac

Re: unintentionally modified apc40

Post by Illiac » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 am

innofader is way too deep to fit unfortunately...

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 am

zaplin523 wrote:
deepdirtydub wrote:You have to remove the backplate in order to get at 6 screws that are hidden on the inside. THEN you can dewingify your APC. Don't do it unless you know how to avoid static electricity etc. or if you care about your warranty.
hi and sorry if this seems is redundant but just to clarify... in order to remove the rubberized plastic side wings of the apc you will only need to remove the crossfaders' cap from the face of the unit and the six alan screws that you will find countersunk into the wings
(3 per side). Now on to the back underside of the unit. All screws including the two that secure the crossfader mechanism as well as six other small screws located under the rubber feet around the perimeter of the unit. Bear in mind that their is adhesive used to keep the rubber feet in place and if you wish to keep them you will need to use some sort of glue get them to stick back into place. Upon removing all screws remove the crossfader and detach its ribbon cable. At this point the back of the unit is free enough to be removed but there is another ribbon cable that attaches to the midi usb logic board however there is enough slack in the cabling to flip the metal bottom of the unit with usb/midi board up and away so that it can sit above the unit while you remove yet another set of tucked away secret akai screws. These 8 (4 per side) screws run along the inside cavity of the unit please be careful when removing them not to unintentionally knock/bend/muck about any components on the pcbs. a relative small jeweler's philips head screwdriver and a allen wrench. Now who is crafty/rad enough to make ends that would allow us to bolt a apc20 or 2 40s. maybe even just make it to where they could snap together lego style so long as they had their sides removed. oooh maybe it would start to become be like a new frac rack format for usb controllers (poop). Ok seriously thanks for all the help everyone this thread really helped me out.

Thanks for posting a more complete guide haha mine was definitely the coles notes version. Im also curious about attaching an APC40 and an APC20. Or maybe just removing the wings and replacing them with a flat cover of some sort. Anybody else?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 pm

So I took apart my APC40 last night so I could get the side panels off and put it in a DJ coffin case. After doing so I realized I want to skin it with some vinyl and possible add an innofader.

The APC40 is definitely shallow for crossfader replacement. However the APC's crossfade comes out of the bottom on a separate plate. If the APC40 was raised and mounted at the new height, replacing the crossfader should work if the crossfader is compatible. I don't have an innofader handy, so I will have to order one. Once I do I will post pics of my customized APC40 fader.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 pm

APC40 Mounted into my DJ coffin.

This is just a temporary set up. I will eventually build a custom coffin, as well as try adding the innofader to the APC40.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm

nice :D

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Awesome!!! Did you saw off the protruding plastic rings once the wings had been removed???? I really wanna de-wingify mine but am sacred of the risks!!! Also wanna fill the sides in or cover them with something appropriate!!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu May 06, 2010 11:48 pm

It wasn't that tuff to do. However I am just that kind of person, that likes to customize my gear. I sanded the sides with a circular sander after taking the wings off.

There's really not much to the inside of the APC40. As long as you got a good table, screwdriver, and some cups to put all the screws in, plus a wee bit of skills with tools, you should be fine. Just take your time.

Once you have ALL the screws out, you still have to pull hard on the wings to get em to sort of "snap" off.