OT: absolute or perfect pitch.. anyone in here have it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: OT: absolute or perfect pitch.. anyone in here have it?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:23 pm

scott nathaniel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Scott - disagree on all counts.

I usually read more than one hit on google or at least make sure it's a site I'd trust. you're saying that not googling isn't lazy but using google is? what?

like I wrote earlier, with my friend that has perfect pitch I can play a note out of the blue and he can name it.

I don't know how long it would take. how long did it take for you to learn the color red? quite a long time I imagine. :P

LOL boson.

stringtapper, you out there? can you help me here?
Look, I know what perfect pitch means, I was asking in jest, to see if someone could explain it, that is, people who toss the term around. My question was partially rhetorical, kind of like "oh, Why is there war."
What then is relative pitch. You mean, if I asked you to sing a c, you'd come within some range, but not nail it, so to speak. If time is not an issue, then you, theoretically could possibly "learn' perfect pitch. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you sat at the piano for hours day, for two weeks straight, playing all the notes and attempting then to recall their names from memory, constantly playing a c and concentrating on how it sounds. I bet after a few weeks, or the amount of time needed, you would have those pitches etched in your head and would be able to recall as does anyone else with perfect pitch. Do you think that would be possible?
good article on perfect pitch.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/20/scien ... genes.html
for that matter google "genes perfect pitch" and see what people have to say. it also talks about learning perfect pitch, it says you can't, it says it's genetic. feel free to post news articles that say the opposite.

relative pitch - sometimes I'll learn a song by ear and play it on guitar. then as I'm learning it, it just doesn't sound right. I'll add a capo or change keys and BAM! it sounds right. I got the chords right relative to each other but they were off pitch.

it is an interesting topic, I'd like to see more research than opinions at this point.

sorry I'm fired up, that's the Red Bull talking, I get all " :twisted: " on this shit. no need.

Happy Friday!

hitechsoul15 wrote:Sorry if this a stupid question, but if I could hear a song and be able to immediately sing it back exactly note for note without ever forgetting the melody/notes, does that mean I have perfect pitch? Or does the rule follow to just musical instruments?
IMO it would be more like if you were presented the sheet music. by hearing the tune first you'd be given a point of reference, thereby making it relative pitch because you could replay the song by playing notes relative to what you heard.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:25 pm

hitechsoul15 wrote:Sorry if this a stupid question, but if I could hear a song and be able to immediately sing it back exactly note for note without ever forgetting the melody/notes, does that mean I have perfect pitch? Or does the rule follow to just musical instruments?
That would only suggest that you have a good pitch memory, not necessarily perfect pitch.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm not going off of news articles but peer reviewed journal articles in music and audiology research.
Unsound Designer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 pm

stringtapper wrote:I'm not going off of news articles but peer reviewed journal articles in music and audiology research.
even better.

got any buzzwords one could add to a google search to make them more accurate?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
stringtapper wrote:I'm not going off of news articles but peer reviewed journal articles in music and audiology research.
even better.

got any buzzwords one could add to a google search to make them more accurate?
If you can get access to the Grove Music Online article on absolute pitch that's a good start.
Unsound Designer

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:52 am

Tone Deft wrote:it is an interesting topic, I'd like to see more research than opinions at this point
Not sure of the date, but here's a study that suggests absolute pitch is genetic. It's a study from your neck of the woods:http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/study/

And some that suggest it is learned. I haven't read thoroughly through these, so take them as you will:
http://brenthugh.com/eartest/absolute-pitch.html

Indeed it's a worthy and interesting topic.

Clique

Post by Clique » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 am

I've started ear training exercises recently, theres also a perfect pitch test on this site.

http://www.good-ear.com

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:12 am

^ similar site I've been playing with. it plays a chord you tell it what kind, pretty basic, I suck at it.

http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id92_en.html
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:59 am

stringtapper wrote:
That would only suggest that you have a good pitch memory, not necessarily perfect pitch.
It would also suggest a very good musical memory and ability to parse a melody. Given the 7 +/- 2 principle of short term memory it would suggest that you are remembering the tune as a series of complete phrases rather than just individual notes.

stringapper's definition of perfect pitch seems the most cogent to me. ie. the ability to remember the sound of a particular pitch and recognise it again much later. It's less about recognising red as red and more about seeing a colour and recognising it as the exact same colour as something you saw previously,

Labelling of particular pitches and colours is a cultural thing. It's something that we learn.

Relative pitch can be easily learned by any musically oriented person. If you can learn a tune you can learn relative pitch. Just think of intervals as extremely short tunes.
Last edited by crumhorn on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:02 am

double post

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:21 am

^ = nature vs nurture

Moody

Post by Moody » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Found this article with some great links from the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) while trying to find references to perfect pitch in social areas (Middle East) that are known for tuning, modes and scales outside of Western(church)/ Well Tempered offerings. Enjoy!

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1450

Apparently the second linked article helps one know if you are one of the main contributors in this thread or not.... very interesting. :lol:
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:^ similar site I've been playing with. it plays a chord you tell it what kind, pretty basic, I suck at it.

http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id92_en.html
Thanks for that link.