DIY production desk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

DIY production desk

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 am

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to get a new desk that will accommodate all my crazy controllers (APC40, MPK49, MPD24) as well as a scratch DJ area. I saw this and it looked neat:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... tudio.html

But I don't know if I'm skilled enough to put together that roll out keyboard thing (though I'd really like one)

Anyone else got any ideas here?

Justin

cbentley

Re: DIY production desk

Post by cbentley » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:10 am

If you're confident you can build the desk, then adding the drawer slides is easier than you think. If you can find what you want and don't want to build a desk, you can always find a local cabinet shop and see if they can build you exactly what you want. I built my racks and desk myself and while it's not hard, I will add that I'm no slouch in the wood shop...

Here's an older photo of my desk:

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:02 am

Punky921.. it actually doesn't look that hard.. there are now plenty of stores that rent out tools and they are more than willing to help you out.. show them your plans and I am sure they will get your started with the right tools.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 am

just get one of these and be done with it...

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am

FrankieP wrote:just get one of these and be done with it...

I'm willing to bet that that thing is waaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:26 am

Wait, whats that?

Oh, sorry I was cleaning my screen after seeing cbentleys setup.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:47 am

Punky921 wrote:

$449. If it's over your price range, they have one smaller at around $89 and a mid one at $179 sumthin.
Last edited by FrankieP on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:48 am

FrankieP wrote:
Punky921 wrote:

$449. I figured you would would probably spend $200-300 at Ikea anyway plus tools and other miscellaneous things to hack and assemble it.
Not in Aus it's not :(

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:03 am

Punky921 wrote: Not in Aus it's not :(

Sorry, didn't see that you're in Australia. :oops:

Well then, the Ikea tabletops/panels are pretty nice and okay. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to hack it. Just be careful that if you drill screw holes on most Ikea tabletops, they are actually made out of particleboard and is quite hollow in the middle (carboard construction). So you might have to attach the keyboard slides just a little bit off the lip to ensure good weight support.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 am

dude, do you have two left hands?
this is pretty basic, not harder than building the generic ikea stuff.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:35 am

That Ikea thing looks indeed very basic to recreate...
But I was just wondering where the guy puts his mouse and computer keyboard. Although the APC40 has taken away a lot of my mouse clicking, I still use it a lot when producing!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

anachroschism

Post by anachroschism » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:08 am

cbentley wrote:If you're confident you can build the desk, then adding the drawer slides is easier than you think. If you can find what you want and don't want to build a desk, you can always find a local cabinet shop and see if they can build you exactly what you want. I built my racks and desk myself and while it's not hard, I will add that I'm no slouch in the wood shop...

Here's an older photo of my desk:

just came.

needs moar button knobby light things.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 am

Punky921 wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm trying to get a new desk that will accommodate all my crazy controllers (APC40, MPK49, MPD24) as well as a scratch DJ area. I saw this and it looked neat:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... tudio.html

But I don't know if I'm skilled enough to put together that roll out keyboard thing (though I'd really like one)

Anyone else got any ideas here?

Justin
I reckon you could easily make the same with some MDF. Easy to cut with power tools. I borrowed mine of the step-son, picked me up a few slabs of mdf too.

To note: The linked picture there looks good but not sure how it would sound being in an alcove?

For 'roll-out' shelves you just need some bearinged drawer slides. I say 'just' but they're damn hard to find unless your having a kitchen fitted or want to buy them in packs of 20!

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

That's the problem - I live in a three bedroom apt in the middle of a city. To build anything worth a damn, I'd have to high tail it out to the burbs at my dad's house, and probably end up cutting my hand off in the process.

On top of that, even if I WAS able to build something worth a damn, I'd have to take it apart, move it, and put it back together in my house! It's a lot of trouble, and I'd rather slightly mod something rather than build it from scratch.

J

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Punky--

Depending on what your DJ setup consists of... I would highly recommend the following desk and the following (no screwing/drilling needed) keyboard/mouse tray:

Studio RTA Creation Station ($200) this is what I have in my studio:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=546550

Here's the shelf I recently got for it (it's WIDE, and I had to move the legs of my Creation Station over several inches) but, it's an awesome tray:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Designer ... 59&sr=8-21

It's $76 but worth every penny I think.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend getting the Studio RTA Producer Station instead (the one with the keyboard tray built-in as you can see in the other posts here), even though the thing is $500... that's only $200 more than the smaller desk and the tray I linked.

You can never have too much desk space... which makes the Producer Station more useful.

I have a similar gear setup as you... an MPD32, E-Mu Xboard49 midi controller, APC40, PadKontrol.... used to have a CDJ800 MK2 turntable and DJ mixer but recently sold them... I also have an Electribe ES-1, MPC500, Juno-60, and a digital piano...

All this stuff does not fit on my desk... I have a three-tier keyboard stand directly to my right, and a makeshift keyboard stand for the Xboard49 to my left.

Finding a good desk setup is one of the biggest burdens I think, to owning a bedroom studio.....

Hope my suggestions helped somewhat.