DIY production desk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: DIY production desk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Punky921 wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm trying to get a new desk that will accommodate all my crazy controllers (APC40, MPK49, MPD24) as well as a scratch DJ area. I saw this and it looked neat:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... tudio.html

But I don't know if I'm skilled enough to put together that roll out keyboard thing (though I'd really like one)

Anyone else got any ideas here?

Justin

i bought a desk at ikea and just modified it.

it's probably a good idea, if you do not feel all to skilled, to buy something that is very close to what you need and add on / modify it, rather then building all from scratch.
*** Image GAFM ***

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 pm

i really want to mod my desk so i'm standing up.... a friend told me how the editors at pixar stand up, and then he did a mod on his desk. he loves it, and whenever i go over i try and work at it and it's pretty cool.

i feel like my setup needs a custom desk. someday i'll grow up and do it.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Ikea Mikeal desk and keyboard tray, will only cost you $79.00 US:

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 pm

hiphopdontstop wrote:Punky--

Depending on what your DJ setup consists of... I would highly recommend the following desk and the following (no screwing/drilling needed) keyboard/mouse tray:

Studio RTA Creation Station ($200) this is what I have in my studio:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=546550

Here's the shelf I recently got for it (it's WIDE, and I had to move the legs of my Creation Station over several inches) but, it's an awesome tray:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Designer ... 59&sr=8-21

It's $76 but worth every penny I think.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend getting the Studio RTA Producer Station instead (the one with the keyboard tray built-in as you can see in the other posts here), even though the thing is $500... that's only $200 more than the smaller desk and the tray I linked.

You can never have too much desk space... which makes the Producer Station more useful.

I have a similar gear setup as you... an MPD32, E-Mu Xboard49 midi controller, APC40, PadKontrol.... used to have a CDJ800 MK2 turntable and DJ mixer but recently sold them... I also have an Electribe ES-1, MPC500, Juno-60, and a digital piano...

All this stuff does not fit on my desk... I have a three-tier keyboard stand directly to my right, and a makeshift keyboard stand for the Xboard49 to my left.

Finding a good desk setup is one of the biggest burdens I think, to owning a bedroom studio.....

Hope my suggestions helped somewhat.
That all looks good. $200 is more than I wanted to spend, but the table looks nice, and I can put my monitors on the upper shelf. I could also put my MPK49 on the keyboard tray. Hmm. I like that the desk accommodates casters - though it looks like I'd have to replace them with something worth a damn, according to the reviews. I like that I could roll the desk into the living room for band practices etc.

My DJ setup in my production center would basically consist only of a 10" wide scratch mixer (two channels) and a Technics 1200 Mk2. I wouldn't be properly DJing (my setup in the living room is for that) but adding scratches to productions. So that wouldn't take up much space.

Hmm. This is good food for thought! Keep the ideas coming!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:50 pm

smartass303 wrote:dude, do you have two left hands?
this is pretty basic, not harder than building the generic ikea stuff.

ha!!! for ones i did not wanted to be so harsh and suppressed my nature... thanks for saying that smartass303.

yes, man just modify your own, it really is easy as pie. and it's cheap... you hardly can get any cheaper then using an ikea desk as the main frame and tune it.
*** Image GAFM ***

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I actually use a Mikeal for my DJ setup. It's a consideration. It's a little big for where I'm trying to put it, but maybe I'll do that. Hmm.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:08 pm

If you were local, I have a maple Studio RTA Creation Station in my garage. Upgraded to a Producer. It's all assembled and in mint condition. I will be putting it up on Craigslist one of these days for maybe half the price. Here's a pic of my Producer Station. I modified it quite a bit. Took out the pull out upper shelf on the left side and placed rack rails so I could mount my sound modules on it. I like everything within reach. As you can see, the APC40 is at the right side on a pull out shelf. Perfect for my needs but you'll probably want in dead center on your desk if it's for a DJ setup.

The Fellowes pull out Keyboard tray that was mentioned above seems to be a very nice solution instead of drilling holes under the desk. Especially with Ikea products that are hollow in the middle.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Looks great. Too bad you're not close to NYC. I'd definitely pick that up for 50% off!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:39 pm

i've also got a producer station.. liked it at first, but the monitor bridge was way too high so i disassembled that top tier. after that it was fine. but i put some 4u desk racks and a 2u monitor bridge on it for more rack space. looks like this now...
i know it's a fucking mess

i've recently decided, however, that i'm going to get rid of that desk along with some of the very unfunctional shelving and replace them with some ikea tables to try to make the room seem less cluttered. it will make for easier access to cables and behind equipment for me too. the room is just too tight with the producer station. thinking of buying an isolation rack of some sort for the computer or having one built by my gf's brother, who built all of my racks for me. he works for a company that makes custom racks and ata cases.

anyway, the producer station is ok but you could go a lot further and have a lot less neck strain with an ikea desk and some monitor stands like Tarekith is using.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 am

Tarekith wrote:Ikea Mikeal desk and keyboard tray, will only cost you $79.00 US:

Nice.
Just curious. How necessary are foam monitor pads?
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 am

if u build it, make it modular and lighter-unless you never plan on moving it ever again. modular furniture is a good bet anyway.