switch from Live 4 to Cubase SX3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Goran@Irrupt

switch from Live 4 to Cubase SX3

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:15 pm

hi guys,
i just read CBS SX3 manual and it has the same (if not improoved) time stratching and warping capabilities as Live. warp markers, fast transpose... it's all there.
are we goin' to swith to CBS back again?
capitalizm/globalizm is stronger then we think...
w :!:

p.s. i know it still can't beat live in live performing... still...
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

ryst

Post by ryst » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:54 pm

My advise to anyone who went from SX (or any other program) to Live and now is contemplating going back....don't waste time switching between programs....use both if you want but make sure the majority of your time is spent CREATING music. Sometimes (in my case, most of the time) too many options or a lot of options are bad. That's why I use DP less and less everyday. Just my $.02

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:55 pm

Holy BLEEP! Are you kidding me? Never.

discoboy

Post by discoboy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:06 pm

I'm so so finished with Steinberg.

One dodgy Midex 8 and several buggy versions of VST and SX I say no thanks.

The way they make you feel like a criminal for even running their software legally and the fact that you have to contact them when an upgrade comes out and they can't even find your previous registration.

NO thanks.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:48 am

Working with Cubase, Logic, Sonar, whatever...is like being limited to the Arrange view in Live. It's the Session view and the creative possibilities that it opens up which sets Live apart from everything else.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Glennzone

Post by Glennzone » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:47 am

Working with Cubase, Logic, Sonar, whatever...is like being limited to the Arrange view in Live. It's the Session view and the creative possibilities that it opens up which sets Live apart from everything else.

Oh yeah ! It's a beautiful thing. I need this.

The way they make you feel like a criminal for even running their software legally and the fact that you have to contact them when an upgrade comes out and they can't even find your previous registration.

I agree. I guess in corporate circles they would consider that a "feature!"

You really hit on a strong sentiment that I hope Cubase (er, Pinnacle) picks up on quick. Three support techs for the entire US doesn't seem to make a Customer Service issue, does it? Nah ! !

I'm not upgrading my versions of Cubase, though I am certainly still using them. I'm just scratching the surface in Live4, and the Session view is where I spend all my time.

I think the Ableton will be leading all the other music software companies in a new direction. Live4 is more in-tune with the way musicians work than ANY other program. Period.

Programmers write programs.
Good programmers write good programs.
Musicians know how musicians need to work.
You do the math.
Well, that's my POV anyway, and I'm sticking to it !
Thanks Ableton guys. Who came up with this Session view idea? There's gonna be a bust of you in several museums, like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the . . .

Thanks,
Glennzone
HW : MacMini (OSX, 16GB),
HP ZBbook 15 (W7 64-bit, 32GB RAM)

Various musical\non-musical MIDI controllers

SW : Ableton Live 8.4.2 Suite (using MIDI only), M4L, Max6, Custom Max app
Cubase Elements 7, VEP5, Komplete9, SD2.2

Haselmeier

Post by Haselmeier » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:18 pm

Hi,
i am still using Cubase, and i ordered already the update to SX3.

But i use Live to make music, live is like a musicinstrument for me.
I use cubase for long recordings and mixing, but i am very happy that Live supporting midi and VSTi's now, it is great to use some of my Synths with live now.

Still, this programms are diffrent, and this is great, i love live for being diffrent.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:33 am

discoboy wrote:I'm so so finished with Steinberg.
Me too. Twelve years with it has been great, but I'm a writer, not an engineer, and Live has given me an extremely productive new way to write. Because of the way I write, I don''t need most of the features in SX - including PDC - apart from video sync.

Adding a warp engine to SX3 is not going to change the basic workflow advantages of Live (real-time composition, lightweight interface, Session View, etc.).

But it's all horses for courses etc. Cubase is still a good product - as is Logic - if that's what works best for you.
Last edited by majestic on Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:50 am

Last edited by majestic on Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:31 pm

all i can say is that arranging in Live is the most painless thing ever.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

LoopyFruit

Re: switch from Live 4 to Cubase SX3

Post by LoopyFruit » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:44 am

WebSite! wrote:are we goin' to swith to CBS back again?
Hi

A Big NO !

sorry but I've lost all faith in Steinberg, they just rush their "Upgrades" :?: out for the revenue.

I've never been happier since switching to my Sonar 3/Live 4 Combo,

I've got all the Features I need, and more importantly they work.

Chris Cowie

Post by Chris Cowie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:21 am

Anubis wrote:Working with Cubase, Logic, Sonar, whatever...is like being limited to the Arrange view in Live. It's the Session view and the creative possibilities that it opens up which sets Live apart from everything else.
I work in arrangement view always when I compose. I dont find it limiting at all. I can write and arrange a track there quicker than I could with any DAW I have ever used. Its obviously a more traditional way of working I know, but its very fast compared to the others.

I have used the clip view on occasions for composing, but I find I get to carried away and end up having to re-arrange the whole thing again anyway.

Obviously in a Live situation the clip view is the way to go :)

Cryocon

Live v's SX3

Post by Cryocon » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:13 pm

Even though SX3 has the time warping and playlist things now, after having just read the manuals from Steinbergs ftp site, it doesn't seem as straight forward as just chucking some loops at it and there you go, like in Live. I'm not ditching SX, but i'm going to stick with SX2. I still use it to create all my loops and sequences, then fling them into Live to create and arrange a track. It seems to be a good partnership, and since it works there's no point in changing.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:57 pm

SX 3, along with the price drop for SX 2, seems like Steinberg's way of maintaining market share with popular features. they must be scared shitless by Live 4, and i don't blame them.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:08 am

SX has all those devices fighting for screen space... yug :roll:
and then when you've minimized something you can move 5 windows and try 3 scroll bars, before you find it again.
nope, the layout alone is reason enough to choose Live.

that is not to say that Cubase doesn't have some essential features that Live doesn't have. quantization in Live is way too limited for example. if only Ableton would enable Live to be a proper rewire host for Cubase, i would be a very happy man.