APC 40 and Controlling Tempo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alextronica

APC 40 and Controlling Tempo

Post by Alextronica » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Hey Yall

So here's what I found

I can map Tempo to the Cue Level and if I fire off a scene with a BPM label the APC totally updates and doesnt jump back to the original tempo if touch the knob

This is Awesome!

(Just incase you dont understand if Im at 139 BPM and use the cue Level Knob (now controlling tempo) and turn it to 140 BPM. Then I fire off a scene which makes the tempo change to 80 BPM. the next time I touch the Knob up to increase the tempo its goes to 81 and NOT 141. This is AWESOME! )

My question is why does this NOT work if I use the knobs of the "SEND C" of the APC40?

the same goes for mapping a knob to Loop Posititon. It works great for the "Cue Level" and not for the "Send C" knobs

Now the Problem, there is only one "Cue Level" knob and I need it to two functions

I do not have Bomes but I do have MIDIstroke.

Ideally I love it if there was a keyboard short cut for Tempo Say "Command +" to increase tempo by 1 BPM and "Command -" to decrease it by one 1 bpm. (This does not work)

Then I could map the tempo to the "Bank Select < >" like in NativeKontrols APC/Bomes Video

Any help out there?

besides Bomes of M4L.......
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Tone Deft

Re: APC 40 and Controlling Tempo

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Alextronica wrote:I can map Tempo to the Cue Level and if I fire off a scene with a BPM label the APC totally updates and doesnt jump back to the original tempo if touch the knob

My question is why does this NOT work if I use the knobs of the "SEND C" of the APC40?

the same goes for mapping a knob to Loop Posititon. It works great for the "Cue Level" and not for the "Send C" knobs.
you should post this in the Support section. nice find. I have no answers for you.

make a good thread title, I'd like to hear from an Abe about this. something like "inconsistent MIDI mapping on the APC" or whatever.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 pm

If I remember correctly the cue is purely relitive (+1, -1) and the send-c actually have a value even though they are 'endless' encoders.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Well I think that's what my research seems to show

I sure am glad at least one knob functions that way

I can work around the Loop mapping by turning the loop off, moving a knob and turning the loop on again in the correct position

but there is no substitute knob for the tempo!

Makes me wonder why the APC has no tempo control?

Seems pretty vital to me.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:27 pm

I know there are free alternatives to this, but I'm not really into reprogramming controllers or setting up current or old Live sets to work with controllers....
So I bought the $35 dollar apC-CL1+TC1 template from nativekontrol.com which has all the feature built in and works with all old and new projects. It has everything, User map mode that converts the 'track control' encoders to be all true relative (+1,-1) encoders, tempo control, drum rack control pads, fader mutes, 0db fader max, Mackie control and key control for mouseless navigation to all panels including the browser and alternate browser folders. Controlled record clips (you set your clip lengths, it starts and stops recording at your desired length automatically with 1 touch... The new Monomulater and midi Keyboard is in beta testing and will be added in a few weeks. And the list goes on and on.

OH, and I forgot my favorite new feature (new to me) the scrub/jog wheel (that's 'shifted' Cue knob)

The video posted is out of date, he has already added so many new features since then...
This was then....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0JraUk

Best $35 I've spent this year.
Last edited by Willyum on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:33 pm

Does it come with the Bomes Translator?

You do need Bomes for those presets right?

Im a little confused about that part care to enlighten me

Thanks

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 am

He has a Bome's license, so the MT player is included in the package.... well, it is the package. It installs 3 MT players (I think the way it works is, MT player 1 provides full natural Factory apc function with the enhancement functions... MT player 2 provides full Mackie Control for Mousless control plus key commands and I have no idea what MT player 3 does.... honestly, I'm just guessing at how all that stuff works, but APC in Live is assigned to player 1 and Mackie is assigned to player 2.... Control for Drum Rack, Impulse and Reasons ReDrum is through player 1 also... The Impulse and ReDrum work through the translator patch provided in the package also)

Bottom line is all this stuff automatically installs for you, and the manual just tells you which on/off switches to change in Lives midi preferences page. I had it up an running in about 3 minutes.

Oh also there is another part of the package that I forgot to mention that is not in the video... there are 8 user buttons on the 'navigation' page now that cover every option in the file menu plus..... you have 1 press buttons to change the Live-Zoom (zoom 50%, 100%, 150% and 200%) that's the new Full Live zoom, not just clip or time-line zoom, theres consolidate, freeze, flatten, insert scene, quantize, slice, slice settings.... everything, the list goes on and on. and the 8 user buttons are shift-able so you actually assign 16 Live functions to em, and 2 more for the 'Stop all' button accessible from all 8 templates, and like I said at least 2 more templates on the way, Monomulator and midi keyboard with octave change and the different scales (scale types) built in.

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:12 am

My APC is finally set to arrive next week. I plan to use Darren Cowley's custom APC40 template w/ Bome's MIDI software. Check out Darren's videos at thestudiosessions.co.uk

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 am

The Native Kontrol Presets seem like a Live 8 thing

Im only on 7 and further more

I find it weird the Bomes sells for $81 (US) but you say the his is $35 and comes with Bomes

Do I understand you right?

Im very confused now.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:22 am

OK so the MT is a "Lite Version" (for lack of a better term) of Bomes that allows you to use other people's presets but not to make your own?

Thats kinda Cool

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:26 am

cenik11 wrote:My APC is finally set to arrive next week. I plan to use Darren Cowley's custom APC40 template w/ Bome's MIDI software. Check out Darren's videos at thestudiosessions.co.uk
Yea that one is really nice too, there are a few features in that one I'm really digging. I went with the nativeKontrol one cause I'm more focused on production than club DJ'ing. The Drum Rack and the announcement of midi Keyboard sealed the deal for me. Another nice one is that Monomulator with Keyboard one, and it's free. I think that was the Trackteam one

People are doing some really great shit with these APC templates. I wish someone would come out with all these presets combined in one.