Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nuxnamon
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: 650 area

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:39 am

seriously.. i wonder how much is the total cost of trying to extradite this guy and all the legal red tape.. yes he did the crime but our tax money should go somewhere else..

Da hand
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Da hand » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:23 am

Some facts in defense of Polanski:

1. The reason Polanski fled was because the judge had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.
2. The victim at the centre of the case, Samantha Geimer, has already sued Mr Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.
3. She has previously asked for the charges to be dropped.

No one is disputing that what Polanski did was wrong, but I think these three points make a good argument why the case should be dropped. If the victim was still pursuing Polanski, then this would be different.

I would spend US tax dollars on arresting people like George Bush instead - people who have acted against international and US law and as a result ruined the lives of millions of people.

ThrowAway
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 am

Da hand wrote:Some facts in defense of Polanski:

1. The reason Polanski fled was because the judge had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.
2. The victim at the centre of the case, Samantha Geimer, has already sued Mr Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.
3. She has previously asked for the charges to be dropped.

No one is disputing that what Polanski did was wrong, but I think these three points make a good argument why the case should be dropped. If the victim was still pursuing Polanski, then this would be different.

I would spend US tax dollars on arresting people like George Bush instead - people who have acted against international and US law and as a result ruined the lives of millions of people.
I dont know about 1 but 2,3 wouldnt get a normal person out of these charges so why should it apply to him? and I assume all costs incurred by the state will payed by polanski.

Da hand
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Da hand » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 am

ThrowAway wrote:
I dont know about 1 but 2,3 wouldnt get a normal person out of these charges so why should it apply to him? and I assume all costs incurred by the state will payed by polanski.
The costs will only be paid by Polanski if he looses the case. Also, wouldn't you think this is more about the people persecuting him making a name for themselves, rather than trying to uphold the law? Would they go to all this effort if he was not a popular figure?

aniajudie
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 am

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by aniajudie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:45 am

about time the pervert got arrested!
This guy thinks he is so special he can get away with things like this.
He should have been locked up a long time ago.
It is not just sex, it is rape and doubt it was the only time for him.
Good for Switzerland and USA!

Earwax69
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

Funny how people talk with no actual knowledge of what happened. Watch the damn documentary! Its very objective, highly interesting and full of cool vintage footage.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157705/

I didnt know this:

"In 1997 he was offered the option to return to complete the trial with the same lawyers and a new judge and the promise of no sentence, but ironically that judge insisted the proceedings be televised, so Polanski refused."

Wouaaah that is so wrong! Come back, if you help us making a good show, we promess you'll not go back to jail.

stringtapper
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by stringtapper » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Earwax69 wrote:Funny how people talk with no actual knowledge of what happened. Watch the damn documentary! Its very objective, highly interesting and full of cool vintage footage.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157705/

I didnt know this:

"In 1997 he was offered the option to return to complete the trial with the same lawyers and a new judge and the promise of no sentence, but ironically that judge insisted the proceedings be televised, so Polanski refused."

Wouaaah that is so wrong! Come back, if you help us making a good show, we promess you'll not go back to jail.
Right. You saw a movie, so you know what happened. :roll:

All apologies, but you sound a little too enthusiastic about it for me to believe that you are being objective about telling me that the documentary is objective. Nothing personal, I'm just a skeptic about most things. I will see the movie though.
Unsound Designer

smartass303
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by smartass303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 pm

i dont care.

why do you?

303

Tone Deft
Posts: 24155
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 pm

smartass303 wrote:i dont care.

why do you?

303
signed.

if only there was a forum for people to rant about OT bullshit...


MW - ever been on the Digital Performer forum. ;) :P
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ThrowAway
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Da hand wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:
I dont know about 1 but 2,3 wouldnt get a normal person out of these charges so why should it apply to him? and I assume all costs incurred by the state will payed by polanski.
The costs will only be paid by Polanski if he looses the case. Also, wouldn't you think this is more about the people persecuting him making a name for themselves, rather than trying to uphold the law? Would they go to all this effort if he was not a popular figure?
He plead guilty so the possibility of a not guilty verdict is impossible. They also wouldnt have to go to all this effort if he wasnt who he is. He admitted he raped and drugged a 13 yr old child, I dont know how anyone could defend him.

rikhyray
Posts: 3644
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Amazing the amount of bigotry, hypocrisy, ignorance. Hardly anyone bothers to check any facts- in fact they rather refuse the facts (like well known the purpose of the visit taking nude photos), so much easier to scream- pedophile, where there is none, rape where there was none. 40 year old man had sex with 14 year old who pretended to be over 20.
That person who says he is father - if you as father let your 13 tears old daughter to go to Jack Nicholson house, at night, to take nude photos then you yourself deserve to be raped, with no vaseline.
The mystery starts to clear up, a week ago Switzerland was taken off the gray list of tax offenders and now desperately wants to show off they belong to civilized countries.
Exposing any of their industrial or mafia partners is expensive and has low media value. Polansky is cheap, no financial loses and plenty of media publicity.

Earwax69
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 pm

He plaid guilty of having sex with an underage. He did not plaid guilty of raping her or giving her drugs. He said she was consentent and its actually her who brought the drugs. Both charges of rape and drugs have been dropped.

As for being biased, yeah probably, I like Polanski since I was pre-teenager... watching The Fearless Vampire Killers in repetition while playing D&D was part of the daily routine. ----> Mega geek I know I know... for the time it lasted.

Point is I saw the documentary 3 months ago and the memory of it still very fresh in my mind. It was really a shock when I saw the news few days ago. As you will discover in the documentary, there is more than meet the eye in the case. He was not given a fair threatement, the judge was more biased then I am.

But yeah, you are right, I am biased. I feel he already paid the price and should not be prosecuted further.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11130
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 am

Earwax69 wrote:He plaid guilty of having sex with an underage.
Beyond everything else. I do not trust myself enough to photograph a 'nubile' 13 year old nude, alone, no matter how ethical of a person I am, that drugs and alcohol became involved just adds to it. In my mind there's no doubt he was willing, and that he chose to either ignore her age, or chose to not ask.

Whenever I'm asking cute young girls over to my house to take nude photos knowing full well they want to be in movies and I could help, I ask for ID before collecting my 'finders fee'. :twisted:
^^ Joking of course, I have to use drugs as I have no connections in Hollywood. :(

Yeah, I'm switching sides temperately , what of it? :twisted:

It's "pled" by the way, mr. ESL! :wink:

stringtapper
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by stringtapper » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:32 am

rikhyray wrote:Amazing the amount of bigotry, hypocrisy, ignorance. Hardly anyone bothers to check any facts- in fact they rather refuse the facts
The only "fact" of any consequence that can truly be known is that she was underage. That can be clearly gleaned from a birth certificate. As far as what actually happened, only two people know what actually happened. Everything else is hearsay, whether it's being told in a documentary or a courtroom.

And that goes for either side.
Unsound Designer

Earwax69
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by Earwax69 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:26 am

@ Machinesworking LOL

This morning: Woody Allen, Pedro Almodovar and Martin Scorsese have "demanded the immediate release" of fellow filmmaker Roman Polanski.

Woody Allen, no surprise there, he would understand!! :)

Post Reply