loops beginning/ending on beat 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sowhoso

loops beginning/ending on beat 2

Post by sowhoso » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm

I have a loop that begins on 2 and ends on 2

how would you set up so that this clip syncs?

ark

Re: loops beginning/ending on beat 2

Post by ark » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I've been asking for that feature since Live 6 :-) I don't really know a good way of doing it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:08 pm

move the start marker to the 2. right?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Tone Deft wrote:move the start marker to the 2. right?
That makes sense...Or if i'm not reading that right, Insert 1 beat of silence,make the start marker start on the silent bar, Beat 2 kicks in on beat 2, then let the loop brace loop around beat 2 and the rest of the sample, whatever it may be????

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:27 am

if you have a one bar loop that starts on an up beat the clip should still bee seen by live as a one bar loop of four beats.
If you are in session view then alls ya need to do is move the clip start brace to the start of beat three which, in all likely hood, is gonna be a down beat.
If your in arrange view then i'm not sure the loop start point works quite like that so then you could add half a bar of silence.
Or, you could un link the envelope loop and mess with the clip volume controls.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

paq

Post by paq » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

sdmiddleton wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:move the start marker to the 2. right?
That makes sense...
no it doesnt.
sdmiddleton wrote: Or if i'm not reading that right, Insert 1 beat of silence,make the start marker start on the silent bar, Beat 2 kicks in on beat 2, then let the loop brace loop around beat 2 and the rest of the sample, whatever it may be????
i'm not sure if i understand that right, but its the way of the solution. the clip must be looped at the 2nd tact(?). of course the clip must be stopped then on time/differing from global quantisation or by follow-actions.

regards
nothin notable here.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

no go on all that

hard to believe this can't be done

:cry:

paq

Post by paq » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 pm

really hard to believe :). what exactly isnt workin as u like it to work?
nothin notable here.

bLumEi

Post by bLumEi » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm

whats about a silence clip with follow action after 0:0:1 on next clip which starts with 2, loop that clip like you want, and you can start it "off beat/bar"

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:09 pm

the part has 3 different phrases (looping clips). Each one begins and ends on beat 2

no problem starting the 1st phrase cuz beat 1 is silence. but when the 2nd phrase is triggered the end of the 1st is cut off and also there's silence at the beginning of the 2nd and so on with the 2nd -> 3rd phrase

thx for your patience!

zalo

Post by zalo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 pm

sowhoso wrote:the part has 3 different phrases (looping clips). Each one begins and ends on beat 2

no problem starting the 1st phrase cuz beat 1 is silence. but when the 2nd phrase is triggered the end of the 1st is cut off and also there's silence at the beginning of the 2nd and so on with the 2nd -> 3rd phrase

thx for your patience!
legato, quantize to the quarter note

ark

Post by ark » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Let me explain further why I say there's no good way of doing it.

Assume 4 beats per bar. I have a clip that I always want to start at beat 2 of a bar, but I want it to end at the end of a bar.

If I set quantization to 1 bar, then the clip will start at beat 1, no mater where the start marker is. If I set the start marker to beat 2, then the clip will start playing at beat 2 of the clip, but it will still start at the beginning of a bar.

What I can to is set quantization to 1 beat. If I do that, and I am careful to launch the clip during beat 1, it will start playing on beat 2.

What I cannot do, as far as I know, is set quantization to 1 bar and arrange for a clip to begin anywhere but at beat 1. More generally, it does not seem possible to start a clip except exactly at a quantization interval (or at the instant you launch it, if quantization is off).

I know how I would like Live to behave:

1) Honor the clip start and end markers even if the clip is looped.

2) Start and end every clip at a time that causes the clip's 1.1.1 point to line up with a quantization interval.

I've been asking for a feature such as this one since Live 6, but apparently other things are more important.

zalo

Post by zalo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:14 pm

i have been wanting a way to play pickup notes in clips for a while, i have a few songs where loops have pick up notes and unfortunately there is no easy way to do it

but

there are ways to do it, for this situation, if you put a beat of silence in the clip, set start to one, loop start at 2, and then loop to the end of the phrase

here is where you need to think outside the box when you arrange the second and third clips

put the end of the clips at the beginning, so that when you loop, beat 1 to beat 1 it sounds right after the first loop

this way when you put them to legato mode and quantize to the quarter note, if you trigger the clip during the first beat, it will start up on the 2

lastly have a blank clip after with loop off, legato mode, and quarter note quantize, that way you can trigger this clip to end the final clip

@ark
there have been a lot of us requesting a way to do this, pickup notes, mid measure loop start, but just because ableton hasnt given us a way to do it in the manual doesnt mean there isnt a way to work this out

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:14 pm

zalo wrote:legato, quantize to the quarter note
legato fixes the silence, but then the 1st phrase ends with the 2nd clip's ending instead of the 1st clip's ending

it seems, as ark says, there's no good way of doing this unless his feature request is implemented

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:18 pm

zalo wrote: if you put a beat of silence in the clip, set start to one, loop start at 2, and then loop to the end of the phrase

here is where you need to think outside the box when you arrange the second and third clips

put the end of the clips at the beginning, so that when you loop, beat 1 to beat 1 it sounds right after the first loop

this way when you put them to legato mode and quantize to the quarter note, if you trigger the clip during the first beat, it will start up on the 2

lastly have a blank clip after with loop off, legato mode, and quarter note quantize, that way you can trigger this clip to end the final clip

@ark
there have been a lot of us requesting a way to do this, pickup notes, mid measure loop start, but just because ableton hasnt given us a way to do it in the manual doesnt mean there isnt a way to work this out
edit: I need to be able to go back clip 1
Last edited by sowhoso on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.