Lost my live set after reboot! How to recover on Mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
håkan bråkan

Lost my live set after reboot! How to recover on Mac?

Post by håkan bråkan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Was jamming with a friend of mine and got a really nice minimal synth-tech song going, however, my os x server crashed (but after we had saved the tune and live was not open). After reboot of the afp server, the modified project was gone, only the old file left!

So how do I recover this file, is there some afp cache or temp folder I can use to recover it?

Think I will sync this damn volume every hour now...

håkan bråkan

Re: Lost my live set after reboot! How to recover on Mac?

Post by håkan bråkan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Found the wav files with filesalvage at least :? But the live file did not appear, at least not as .als file, maybe as c source? Anyone that have experience with ableton live files and file salvage?

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Go to:

on a mac user name/library/preferences/ableton/crash

Cheers

TS
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Hehe, strangely though your advice helped me, thanx!

The thing is that I save all the files on the server, and not the computer using live. When the server crashed (didn't find the reason in the logs, but maybe the undervolting kext I'm using) we were about to watch a movie in plex and the live set and all the audio was rendered, and live was not open. THEN, the server crashed and after reboot the modified set and all the rendered stuff were gone. But as I can recall live crashed some minutes before, and because of that I was able to find that crash file on the local hard drive.

I assume this is the one and only time I have been grateful for live to crash :) 8O

It seems that live has some problems browsing on mounted afp volumes sometimes (finder never has it), and I know that live "locks" the recorded files during use, so maybe this somehow can be related to why the files were gone.