Recommend me some Dubsteppage.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drako

Re: Recommend me some Dubsteppage.

Post by drako » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 pm

My fav from the last months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiLNquvN1I

necho

Post by necho » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:00 pm

UKRuss wrote:Cheers john.

just dl'd Skreams essential mix and a 16bit mix, plus Benga's essential mix.

That'll keep me in listening for the afternoon!
is it me, or does all Benga's original stuff sound very "Logic Pro"?.... iStep, if you like?
_________
sigs suck.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:27 pm

I'll have a listen for that, Dubstep by numbers you mean?

I have to say the 16 bit stuff is bloody creative, great bass work.

Am I right in saying most of those bass wobbles are beat quantized LFO's on a hi pass filter? It does sound like that most times, 1/16th LFO for half a bar then move it to 1/8th in automation etc.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:29 pm

UKRuss wrote:Cheers john.

just dl'd Skreams essential mix and a 16bit mix, plus Benga's essential mix.

That'll keep me in listening for the afternoon!
Yeah, that Skream mix is good!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm

UKRuss wrote: Am I right in saying most of those bass wobbles are beat quantized LFO's on a hi pass filter? It does sound like that most times, 1/16th LFO for half a bar then move it to 1/8th in automation etc.
Exactly that Russ, yes. Or 1/4 then 1/8, then 1\16 for Waaaah--waaah--waaaah--waaaah-waah-waah-waah-waah-wa-wa-wa-wawa-wa if you prefer to wobble that way!
ob1techno.com

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I feel some dub step production coming on! :D (yet another pseudonym required... :roll: )

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 pm

locally, we're running a podcast series called j'aime le dubstep. probably the best place for anyone to start with dubstep.

http://construct.wickedbad.net/archives ... le-dubstep

my favorite artists at the moment are rusko, caspa, bombaman and DZ.

but, my favorite part of dubstep is how unique and original the stuff that smaller artists are coming out with. looking around the forum, there's some really great stuff!

necho

Post by necho » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:44 pm

UKRuss wrote:I'll have a listen for that, Dubstep by numbers you mean?

I have to say the 16 bit stuff is bloody creative, great bass work.

Am I right in saying most of those bass wobbles are beat quantized LFO's on a hi pass filter? It does sound like that most times, 1/16th LFO for half a bar then move it to 1/8th in automation etc.
Nah - more like I can hear a lot of Logic Pro sounds in it... I used to be such a Logic whore...
_________
sigs suck.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 pm

UKRuss wrote:I feel some dub step production coming on! :D (yet another pseudonym required... :roll: )
Albino 3's excellent for the dubstep bass wobble if you've got it. And Operator's not too shabby either!!!
ob1techno.com

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:03 pm

stonee wrote:locally, we're running a podcast series called j'aime le dubstep. probably the best place for anyone to start with dubstep.

my favorite artists at the moment are rusko, caspa, bombaman and DZ.

but, my favorite part of dubstep is how unique and original the stuff that smaller artists are coming out with. looking around the forum, there's some really great stuff!
Cheers stonee, will be on that. There is a lot of scope within the boundaries of dubstep I reckon, the mixes are so open you can really go to town with the percussion and blips and whathaveyou.

Never been a logic user Necho, but I definitely know what you mean, I think all DAWS can suffer a bit with that if you get too locked down with the native stuff.

Olly Nooooooo! no mroe kit for me! :lol: Been playing with some Massive/Operator layering at lunch today and that gets the go for sure. just not sure about the filtering..autofilter doesnt seem to cut it for me at the mo with this....need more playing around. Maybe the guitar rig pro filter in conjunction with some of the nasty NI distortion. :D

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:45 pm

UKRuss wrote:I feel some dub step production coming on! :D (yet another pseudonym required... :roll: )

i think mint invader is a good name

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:53 pm

I wanna chip in to big up Rob Smith, of Smith and Mighty fame. He should be a great inspiration to oldsters like you (UKRuss), and me. Having been a mainstay of the 'old' Bristol massive (Massive Attack etc) he's TOTALLY holding his own with the young dubstep whippersnappers, releasing as RSD. Not all of it's good (IMO par for the course with dubstep), but some of it (corner dub, pretty bright light, forward youth) is ace.

If you want a young whippersnapper, try Ital Tek.

Also Joy Orbison (totally hot stuff right now)

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:07 pm

stonee wrote:locally, we're running a podcast series called j'aime le dubstep. probably the best place for anyone to start with dubstep.

i think my balls dropped :P

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:13 pm

UKRuss wrote:Olly Nooooooo! no mroe kit for me! :lol: Been playing with some Massive/Operator layering at lunch today and that gets the go for sure. just not sure about the filtering..autofilter doesnt seem to cut it for me at the mo with this....need more playing around. Maybe the guitar rig pro filter in conjunction with some of the nasty NI distortion. :D
Check out this thread:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123946

Johnbutler88's posts in there are pretty much bang on for creating the wobble bass using operator/live effects. I think he's got a video and a rack in there as well.
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:20 pm

socketghost wrote:I wanna chip in to big up Rob Smith, of Smith and Mighty fame. He should be a great inspiration to oldsters like you (UKRuss), and me. Having been a mainstay of the 'old' Bristol massive (Massive Attack etc) he's TOTALLY holding his own with the young dubstep whippersnappers, releasing as RSD.
+1 Rob Smith rocks
ob1techno.com