Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
phillytomcat

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by phillytomcat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 am

...but I still want a maven :?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 am

SubFunk wrote:
acidman wrote:usbport-location-designfailure :cry: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEMMft6 ... re=channel
yeah, that is not real either, is it?

I mean what kind of engineers / designers they employ?

really hard to believe.
I don't think I've ever seen a really clever USB port placement on a peripheral. No matter how much thought the manufacturer
puts into it, it's going to stick out and be in the way somehow. Sure, put it on the back of the device, but that of course
steals desk space "vertically". Put it on the right side, it's going to conflict with the mouse for right-handed people.
Put in on the left side (like on the Nocturn - I wonder what actually decides the placement when they're that
inconsistent), it's going to bother left-handed people. The L-shaped cable will help, but it's not *the* solution.

I think they should've simply put one port on all four sides, to keep everybody happy and free to choose. That way, you
could at least put two of them right next to each other.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 am

sporkles wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a really clever USB port placement on a peripheral. No matter how much thought the manufacturer
puts into it, it's going to stick out and be in the way somehow. Sure, put it on the back of the device, but that of course
steals desk space "vertically". Put it on the right side, it's going to conflict with the mouse for right-handed people.
Put in on the left side (like on the Nocturn - I wonder what actually decides the placement when they're that
inconsistent), it's going to bother left-handed people. The L-shaped cable will help, but it's not *the* solution.

I think they should've simply put one port on all four sides, to keep everybody happy and free to choose. That way, you
could at least put two of them right next to each other.
They should go wireless. My Wiimote can do it, so why can't a midi controller.

I wouldn't even mind to plug in a little receiver-usb-stick into the port. But imagin you have that launchpad battery powered and wireless and you can walk around with it while you play.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:52 am

I just had a really sick feeling in my stomach about all of this... I have, (between the MS20ic, Maschine, Remote SL, APC40) 4 usb, proprietary controllers, which will all probably be obsolete sooner than later...well, at least the remote zero has midi out. I just kind of freaked out that my "studio" consists mostly of laptops and gear that makes no sound of its own, and if USB dies like serial, I'll just own a ton of doorstops. At least I can use it all to make low budget scifi spaceship controls...

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 am

SubFunk wrote:
dom wrote:
Bynar wrote:Why not use an oxygen8 keyboard (with velocity) to trigger clips.
Mainly because they have no lights, therefore can't represent the state of your clip slots (empty, clip present, clip playing, clip recording) and you can't navigate and select which area of the session you want to control.

Cheers,
Dom
i agree, except on the lights, i think you should have the option to switch them off!

a bloody guitar or piano or drums or a trumpet does not have lights either, and yet people can play them very well, if you can't trigger your damn clips without a disco show, i really think you should leave it altogether. (but maybe i am the only one who considers Live being an instrument?)

if the APC 40 could just switch off the disco show and you could then have the possibility to run that damn thing via USB bus power, that would be gold in my eyes. and for the ones who need the disco, very well, they can switch it on and use the PSU.

my2cents.
Subfunk, wow, your sometimes twisted view still manage to amaze me sometimes. :)
We got hundreds of mails regarding the APC, but not a single one requesting an OFF switch for the single biggest feature, the reason for building this controller at all!

The whole concept is based on the visual feedback of the session using the LEDs - if you don't need lights, there's a controller called keyboard build right into your laptop that offers more buttons than an APC and without fancy colored LEDs.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

tracy

Post by tracy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 am

chelemasty wrote:
tracy wrote:This looks awesome. I bought an APC less than thirty days ago, so back to Guitar Center it goes.
Why not keep it? Well, if you really need the money, go ahead. In my case, APC40 is still my main gear of choice coz I'm not gonna change modes if I would like to use, say 2 effects, at the same time by mapping it with my knobs. Also I could trigger clips while still having control with my effects.
The APC40 is very cool, but I am going to put my Evolution UC-33 back into my system for knobs and sliders, then use the Launchpad for buttons and blinky lights. I also have a Korg Zero 8 on the way, so I should have my fill of control surfaces.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 am

SubFunk wrote:wow, if this is USB powered, then THIS is down my alley!

great!

i knew it's a good thing to wait! APC my arse, big bulky monster.

EDIT: KILLER IT'S USB POWERED, YEAH!!! i'm sold, completely sold!!!

and thanks god it's not made by Akai... i get one, i need to get one.

and you can daisy chain them 8O , someone was thinking!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, does it have a hole of the size of a turntable spindle in the bottom like a PadKONTROL, so you can place it onto a turntable platter in a busy and overfilled DJ booth? then it's perfect and they get all my respect.

let's see how close they are to reality!!! :mrgreen:

if it's USB powered then i'm sold man!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:03 am

monome (prices) ...going DOWN !
Last edited by 3dot... on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 am

BoimB son of BoB wrote:
dom wrote:
Bynar wrote:Why not use an oxygen8 keyboard (with velocity) to trigger clips.
Mainly because they have no lights, therefore can't represent the state of your clip slots (empty, clip present, clip playing, clip recording) and you can't navigate and select which area of the session you want to control.

Cheers,
Dom
what a load of bullshit.
You might tame your language a bit.
There are more reputable ways to express that you don't like the concept of buttons with visual feedback or what i state regarding buttons without LEDs.
BoimB son of BoB wrote: in a large live set, you need the visual feedback of a computer screen, otherwise you don't have a clue what you're triggering anyway.
you can easily navigate your session, using justa keyboard.

No, with an APC or a Launchpad (or a monodeck, the mother of all session view controllers) you don't.
That's the whole point about those toys.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 am

Personally I am buying it the moment it is released...
At $199 how can anyone refuse :D
iMac i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz 32GB RAM • OS X.10 • Apogee Duet • NI Kontrol S49 • Maschine Mikro MKII • Cubase 8.5 • Live 9.6 Suite • Logic Pro X • Reason 9 • WaveLab Elements 9 • Various VST's, AU's and hardware synths, etc;

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 am

@ dom, first of all i am someone who uses extensively the comp keyboard for as much as i can and any apps that allows me to do so.

secondly building the APC for visual feedback? 8O 8O 8O
but actually i am not really surprised, as i seem the only one seeing ableton live as an musical instrument and not a DAW, i wonder when they start to built pianos, flutes, drums, guitars and other instruments with visual feedback as there most important feature :roll:

Third, i said it would be nice to have the OPTION, you aparently can't read either... To be able to run it via buspower if wanted, that is more important to me than lights on what i consider to be 'a musicla instrument' to play live.
*** Image GAFM ***

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 am

SubFunk wrote: but actually i am not really surprised, as i seem the only one seeing ableton live as an musical instrument and not a DAW, i wonder when they start to built pianos, flutes, drums, guitars and other instruments with visual feedback as there most important feature :roll:

Third, i said it would be nice to have the OPTION, you aparently can't read either... To be able to run it via buspower if wanted, that is more important to me than lights on what i consider to be 'a musicla instrument' to play live.
maaate, you ever played a trumpet, guitar or drums?

the thing is about them, there's no in-situ contextual controls, if you press 3rd valve on a trumpet and blow at a certain pressure you are guaranteed to get a certain note, with an APC or any one of these modern controls we're seeing more and more contextual functionality, where a button has no set function, but a range of functions than change based on different inputs: there's not a way to guarantee that the third button on the left on an APC will launch a given clip.

THAT is why we need visual feedback as a large component of modern interfaces and controllers.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:48 am

dom wrote:[

Cheers,
Dom

No, with an APC or a Launchpad (or a monodeck, the mother of all session view controllers) you don't.
That's the whole point about those toys.

Cheers,
Dom[/quote]

dude, some blinking lights don't tell you anything except clip is on, or off. unless you memorize everything, you're lost within 5 minutes if you have a complex set. it's ok the way it is, although bulky especially the apc. plz don't overdo it, the apc is good, but not THAT good. you need lcd screen. which is not a bad thing either.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 am

BoimB son of BoB wrote:you need lcd screen.
like . . the one on your computer? ;)
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 am

SubFunk wrote:@ dom, first of all i am someone who uses extensively the comp keyboard for as much as i can and any apps that allows me to do so.
I know!
SubFunk wrote: secondly building the APC for visual feedback? 8O 8O 8O
Sure, why else? There are already more than enough x by y button matrix devices available without session view integration - but there was only one monodeck.
SubFunk wrote: but actually i am not really surprised, as i seem the only one seeing ableton live as an musical instrument and not a DAW, i wonder when they start to built pianos, flutes, drums, guitars and other instruments with visual feedback as there most important feature :roll:
You're not the only one!

And you can't seriously compare those acoustical instruments to the APC as the behavior of the keys of a piano e.g. does not change dynamically with the context.
A c-2 is always a c-2 - but channel two on your apc may control channel 5 in Live.

Of yourse this does not stop people from building guitars and keyboards with LED equipped keys or fretboards.
But this is another story.
SubFunk wrote: Third, i said it would be nice to have the OPTION, you aparently can't read either... To be able to run it via buspower if wanted, that is more important to me than lights on what i consider to be 'a musicla instrument' to play live.
The APC makes no sense for what it was build for if you deactivate the session view LEDs and the LED rings of the encoders.
If a bus powered controller with lots of buttons but without LEDs is what you want it's not a design fault of the APC - it's just not the right product for you, isn't it?

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com