Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djsynchro

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by djsynchro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:31 pm

would be could be should be....

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:31 pm

SubFunk wrote:
dom wrote:
Bynar wrote:Why not use an oxygen8 keyboard (with velocity) to trigger clips.
Mainly because they have no lights, therefore can't represent the state of your clip slots (empty, clip present, clip playing, clip recording) and you can't navigate and select which area of the session you want to control.

Cheers,
Dom
i agree, except on the lights, i think you should have the option to switch them off!

a bloody guitar or piano or drums or a trumpet does not have lights either, and yet people can play them very well, if you can't trigger your damn clips without a disco show, i really think you should leave it altogether. (but maybe i am the only one who considers Live being an instrument?)

if the APC 40 could just switch off the disco show and you could then have the possibility to run that damn thing via USB bus power, that would be gold in my eyes. and for the ones who need the disco, very well, they can switch it on and use the PSU.

my2cents.
Actually, guitars have fret markers (which you can have modified to be lights to see them better on stage) so you can see where you are, also guitar pedals nearly always have an LED to indicate whether they are on or off, things like tap tempo will always have a flashing LED. One of my fuzz pedals has white knobs because people struggled to see black ones on a black pedal on darkly lit stages...

Having some form of visual reference is always useful and you're not less of a musician for it.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:32 pm

djsynchro wrote:would be could be should be....
can be!

my point is that it is not an impossible task.

and under certain circumstances, if the thinking is done from the very, very beginning it has not even necessarily develop more (or much more) costs.

it's simply not utopia.
*** Image GAFM ***

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:32 pm

So you need to go work for Novation then :D

With the Launchpad, a piece of thick foam with the hole cut in the centre would do the trick to put it on a Technics' platter, but I have put portable DAT machines on platters in the past and they keep swivelling.

I like the little table-like things! They should be made into products and sold to clubs, as the onslaught of laptops & controllers continues.
I have some good idea for names: "Tech-platform", "The Next Level" (!) they will need a better finish like holo-sparkle-glitter or at least black or something.

Carry on!

Furland

Post by Furland » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:56 pm

djsynchro wrote: they will need a better finish like holo-sparkle-glitter or at least black or something.
Blacklight LED's and Holographic projectors included :-D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:33 pm

played wit it today... it's quite good!

cheers
D

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:09 pm

such a thing with multicolor leds...

orientation is an issue when having multiple tracks to play the colour green is not providing this much information..
when you dont record on stage normal keys pretty much di the same job even without leds.. you hear what is playing when you know your tracks...what usually is the case

i have experimented a bit with a graphic marker clips row..works pretty good..but only leaves 4 rows on the APC of usable clip launch buttons.. on the launchpad this would be 7...thats much better..

It would be however nice if ableton would make the selction o which clips are shown in the launch pad or apc remoteable from live... so i could do some automation ..

or stacked clips..this would be very nice for vocal samples or little variations in rhythem tracks wher you dont want to invest extra rows just because ther is one extra note in the percussion line..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

exper

Post by exper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:06 pm

A great idea would have been to use RGB LEDs and have the squares change according to the actual clip colors. Oh, and text with clips names...

http://store.fungizmos.com/index.php?ma ... cts_id=194

or like this:

http://www.euphonix.com/pro/music/mc_pro/tour.php#tour9

Dreaming, I know...

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:12 pm

what is a good box of faders and knobs that would sit perfect next to the launchpad, something that's the same size to cover fx, levels,

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 pm

starving student wrote:what is a good box of faders and knobs that would sit perfect next to the launchpad, something that's the same size to cover fx, levels,
just get the nanokontrol

that would fit perfectly

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 am

I'm really happy I didn't get any takers on my Remote Zero SL when I had it up for sale a couple of months ago... I think that, the SL and LP are gonna be a pretty neat combo!

Yep.. the thing about the APC (for me) is really the clip launch matrix.. And as I already have the faders (BCF) and knobs (SL).. Also I'm pretty damn sure that customer and product support from Novation will be.. well let's say.. supportive :D Duno about Akia on that level..

I can feel a Launchpad coming on! :twisted:

Hd

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:37 am

launchpad + remote zero = gonna be tits

exper

Post by exper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:18 am

Speaking as someone with both the remote sl and an apc, I gotta say the apc is better in a strictly ableton live way. The remote doesn't automatically re-route the faders to the next batch of channels like the apc, and the automapping us muck better. I do miss the screens on the remote, but now i'm just going to use it as an editor for my oberheim matrix 6 and for more in depth editing of reakor and other vst's. Novation needs to somehow emulate the apc's mapping and it would be great.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:47 am

exper wrote:Speaking as someone with both the remote sl and an apc, I gotta say the apc is better in a strictly ableton live way. The remote doesn't automatically re-route the faders to the next batch of channels like the apc, and the automapping us muck better. I do miss the screens on the remote, but now i'm just going to use it as an editor for my oberheim matrix 6 and for more in depth editing of reakor and other vst's. Novation needs to somehow emulate the apc's mapping and it would be great.

the apc doesnt really ALLOW dynamic mapping beyond macro controls or the list of configured parameters of a plugin. Compare that to Automap, which allows multi-page configuration of parameters over buttons, faders, encoders, and nobs...all with the ability to be controlled in the way YOU want to. Plus it allows you to create 16 channels worth of custom midi templates, which can be used by themselves or expanded with device control scripts or MaxMsp.

So no, I'd like to keep Automap the way it is (minus bugs). It is one of the most powerful and flexible control systems on the market

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 am

Is there a new controller out?