Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hoffman2k

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 pm

bendybones wrote:Don't lknow much bout electronics (yet) so...
for the pads to give 3 diff colours does that mean that there are 3 different LEDs for each pad?
Or is it something like a single LED per pad being sent a different 'frequency'.
In either case, how possible would it be to swap them out for LEDs that can do, say, blue instead of one of the non-red colours?

Maschine's 'blinking' feedback is good, altho the unit is a bit pricey.
Maybe that kind of handling of the feedback could be implemented with M4L...
They're bi-color LED's. Generally these produce Red and Green. Which can be combined to form Amber or Orange. Its a single LED, with both colors inside it. If you look around you'll see that most bi-color LED's only do these colors.

The blinking feedback is something you could make the launchpad do. Either by using M4L or by running it as a Monome that runs an app that controls Live (M4L not required).

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 am

Cant wait for this!
I allways tought that APC is too big for me. And i allready have Remote SL for faders and knobs. I was considering of buying maschine for clip control, but it is too expensive (ok it has other cool features in it, but i have Live for that) then i saw video of the LP and fell in love!

With preassure sensitive pads i would be scratching local gear dealers door allready :P

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Fantastically late on this thread. Been checking out the Ohm64 and Monome this week, and then saw the Launchpad! What a fantastic bit o' kit - hopefully it'll provide some lively (and lovely) inspiration when it comes out.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:04 pm

logic_user99 wrote:Fantastically late on this thread. Been checking out the Ohm64 and Monome this week, and then saw the Launchpad! What a fantastic bit o' kit - hopefully it'll provide some lively (and lovely) inspiration when it comes out.
Nah.. It's gonna be shite!! :D

Hd

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

rosti wrote:I allways tought that APC is too big for me. And i allready have Remote SL for faders and knobs. I was considering of buying maschine for clip control, but it is too expensive (ok it has other cool features in it, but i have Live for that) then i saw video of the LP and fell in love!
Don't sell the Maschine short though. Live cannot do what it does. It's got its own session view that's better than Live's that you can actually record automation in, ability to work with only the hardware with its dual LCD displys (even with the laptop lid closed), velocity sensitive pads, hardware step sequencer, ability to browse and load sounds from the hardware, not to mention that it has very similar feature set to APC40 as a Live control surface minus the crossfader, and works as a general midi controller with customizable editor. Maschine is a game changer. Most people have been sleeping on it because too many people spout ignorant crap like how it's just a midi controller.

I'm getting the Launchpad to complement my Maschine.

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm

delicioso wrote:
rosti wrote:I allways tought that APC is too big for me. And i allready have Remote SL for faders and knobs. I was considering of buying maschine for clip control, but it is too expensive (ok it has other cool features in it, but i have Live for that) then i saw video of the LP and fell in love!
Don't sell the Maschine short though. Live cannot do what it does. It's got its own session view that's better than Live's that you can actually record automation in, ability to work with only the hardware with its dual LCD displys (even with the laptop lid closed), velocity sensitive pads, hardware step sequencer, ability to browse and load sounds from the hardware, not to mention that it has very similar feature set to APC40 as a Live control surface minus the crossfader, and works as a general midi controller with customizable editor. Maschine is a game changer. Most people have been sleeping on it because too many people spout ignorant crap like how it's just a midi controller.

Yeah. I'm still drooling on the maschine. Bit too expensive for my budget tough. :/
I can sill live with Ableton samplers on drumrack..

For those who where wondering how yo can get your laptop and other gear in tight DJ booth, have you tried something like this?:

http://laptops180.com/labels/laptop%20stand.html

I have same as in the picture and i can fit my macbook pro nicely on a turntable platter. I can imagine having 2 of those 1 for MPB and 1 for LaunchPad. It's kinda wobbly tough 'cos of the freely spinning platter.. Nothing that piece of duckt tape wont fix :D

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:40 pm

Will the Launchpad have transport controls? Start, stop, record, etc. I´m talking buttons for working in arrangement view.

(This topic has 20+ pages and I don´t have time to go through all of them, hope you forgive me for asking this even if it has been covered already.)

littlelosthorse

Post by littlelosthorse » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm

rosti wrote:
delicioso wrote:

Yeah. I'm still drooling on the maschine. Bit too expensive for my budget tough. :/
I can sill live with Ableton samplers on drumrack..

For those who where wondering how yo can get your laptop and other gear in tight DJ booth, have you tried something like this?:

http://laptops180.com/labels/laptop%20stand.html

I have same as in the picture and i can fit my macbook pro nicely on a turntable platter. I can imagine having 2 of those 1 for MPB and 1 for LaunchPad. It's kinda wobbly tough 'cos of the freely spinning platter.. Nothing that piece of duckt tape wont fix :D
meh, i use the stanton uberstand which puts the laptop really high, great for having it over a mixer and it has a shelf which is great for holding the serato scratch box... still waiting for this partnership between serato and ableton to yield something cool... fingers crossed :)

horseman

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:04 pm

purpurkatten wrote:Will the Launchpad have transport controls? Start, stop, record, etc. I´m talking buttons for working in arrangement view.

(This topic has 20+ pages and I don´t have time to go through all of them, hope you forgive me for asking this even if it has been covered already.)
bumpybumpy

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:07 pm

purpurkatten wrote:
purpurkatten wrote:Will the Launchpad have transport controls? Start, stop, record, etc. I´m talking buttons for working in arrangement view.

bumpybumpy
googleygoogley
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Live 10.1, Win10, Edirol UA101. USB: APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mics for guitars and vocals. MIDI via sound card: JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft/eephlat

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 pm

purpurkatten wrote:

bumpybumpy
the answer is yes

you can also customize

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote: googleygoogley
:D Is that a cricket expression?

Hd

pawcut

Post by pawcut » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:01 am

naaaah , its clearly Ned Flanders slang to me , or is that just his german dubbing voice ? :mrgreen:
(y that smiley called mr. green , aberton supporting the use of mary j ?! )

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 am

pawcut wrote:naaaah , its clearly Ned Flanders slang to me , or is that just his german dubbing voice ? :mrgreen:
(y that smiley called mr. green , aberton supporting the use of mary j ?! )
Not officially, no, but henceforth, everyone knows what you really want to buy if you're in the market for a new "flanger". :lol: