Novation Launch Pad & Akai APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
S4racen

Re: Novation Launch Pad & Akai APC40

Post by S4racen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 pm

sdmiddleton wrote:Wow i hope so, i'm sitting here sweating, hating my life cos i have the APC40, who's track control section is terrible, clip launch area limited, faders next to useless, arrange view may as well not exist, no customisable user buttons, badly layed out unhelpful pile of £400!! AAAH!!!!

Your's must be broken, take it back to the shop....

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 pm

sdmiddleton wrote:Is there a way, or a patch one can download for the APC so it can work in different modes for the same project...E.G. Mode 1- the clip launch screen.. Mode 2 - the clip launch grid can now be lets say on/off buttons for effects or anything else you want and so on, cos that would be so useful!!!

Normally if you want to assign the APC clip buttons to something else, like EQ kills whatever it just takes place of the Clip launch lights (as of course everyone knows) but that sucks, its kind of one or the other.. having a few different modes would really open things up dramatically!!!

Any thoughts??
Nativekontrol series if you want to spend a bit of cash, my template if you've already spent a bit of cash on bomes...

Or (stock answer) wait for Max4Live, i'm beta testing at the moment and can say it'll do everything you want it to do!

I'm working on a template that by pressing shift and one of the four send bank buttons will choose a different scene for the clip launch buttons, it'll have different lighting per scene and some form of onscreen indication of what they are controlling... It'll take me a while though as i'm learning max from scratch!

Cheers
D

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:09 pm

S4racen wrote:
sdmiddleton wrote:Is there a way, or a patch one can download for the APC so it can work in different modes for the same project...E.G. Mode 1- the clip launch screen.. Mode 2 - the clip launch grid can now be lets say on/off buttons for effects or anything else you want and so on, cos that would be so useful!!!

Normally if you want to assign the APC clip buttons to something else, like EQ kills whatever it just takes place of the Clip launch lights (as of course everyone knows) but that sucks, its kind of one or the other.. having a few different modes would really open things up dramatically!!!

Any thoughts??
Nativekontrol series if you want to spend a bit of cash, my template if you've already spent a bit of cash on bomes...

Or (stock answer) wait for Max4Live, i'm beta testing at the moment and can say it'll do everything you want it to do!

I'm working on a template that by pressing shift and one of the four send bank buttons will choose a different scene for the clip launch buttons, it'll have different lighting per scene and some form of onscreen indication of what they are controlling... It'll take me a while though as i'm learning max from scratch!

Cheers
D
+1 on the NativeKontrol. I have it and really like it. I can't live w/out the momentary buttons anymore plus it has a user defined mode where you can program all 40 buttons to whatever you want w/out affecting the other modes.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:23 pm

I don't really like to tweak things myself, but I'll like to expand the possibilities of my APC.
So naturally the Nativekontrol looks interesting, but I just wonder if it will not be redundant and obsolete as soon as M4L will be released ?

and for the topic, APC gives you more the feeling of a (very small) classical mixing desk. The launchpad I guess will gives you more the feeling of a nocturn or small midi controler. I'll say you need them both :)

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:50 pm

1ino1eum wrote:I don't really like to tweak things myself, but I'll like to expand the possibilities of my APC.
So naturally the Nativekontrol looks interesting, but I just wonder if it will not be redundant and obsolete as soon as M4L will be released ?

and for the topic, APC gives you more the feeling of a (very small) classical mixing desk. The launchpad I guess will gives you more the feeling of a nocturn or small midi controler. I'll say you need them both :)
It very well could, but for now it's a $35 investment and even if it comes out in December, that's a whopping $10 per month. Not to mention that given the state of Live I wouldn't hold my breath on the stability of M4L. Just my 2 cents.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 pm

1ino1eum wrote:I don't really like to tweak things myself, but I'll like to expand the possibilities of my APC.

I'm like you, I'm not really big on building patches and controller mods and stuff... I'd rather just buy the tools and spend time making music. They said M4L is not free to Live 8 Suite owners and I've heard rumors of 100-200 dollars.... I'm not building patches so that would be a waste for me. That's why I didm't wait and just bought the $35 nativeKontrol stuff.... It turned out to be the best purchase I made so far this year. Really nice, well thought out templates, and it's constantly being added to (a Monomulator and midi keyboard with scales has been announced to be added soon.) the vid they have is not the most up to date, there has already been lots of new improvements added.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:34 am

thanks AceLuby and Willyum,

Yea 200 dollars for M4L, and somewhere else on the forum I saw $500 ! Too much for me if I don't want to spend time making patches.

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 pm

AceLuby wrote:
S4racen wrote:

Any thoughts??

Cheers
D
+1 on the NativeKontrol. I have it and really like it. I can't live w/out the momentary buttons anymore plus it has a user defined mode where you can program all 40 buttons to whatever you want w/out affecting the other modes.
Hello, i'm very much interested in this now - don't suppose anyone has a video of someone talking through their APC setup using NAtive control do they? Or maybe have a spare 5 mins to make one, that'd be very cool!!!! I wonder if Tom Cosm is reading this!? please Tom?!!

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:11 pm

sdmiddleton wrote:
AceLuby wrote:
Hello, i'm very much interested in this now - don't suppose anyone has a video of someone talking through their APC setup using NAtive control do they? Or maybe have a spare 5 mins to make one, that'd be very cool!!!! I wonder if Tom Cosm is reading this!? please Tom?!!
+1 more on Native Kontrol. I have the "apC-CL1+TC1" - 35 US dollars

Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0Jr ... F9&index=0

The developer gives great support and has added more functionality and tweaks since this video was made and is constantly refining what it can do

http://www.nativekontrol.com/nativeKONT ... eries.html

Cheers,
bagginz

http://www.cosmosis.co.uk

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:15 pm

bagginz wrote:
sdmiddleton wrote:
AceLuby wrote:
+1 more on Native Kontrol. I have the "apC-CL1+TC1" - 35 US dollars

Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0Jr ... F9&index=0

The developer gives great support and has added more functionality and tweaks since this video was made and is constantly refining what it can do

http://www.nativekontrol.com/nativeKONT ... eries.html

Cheers,
bagginz

http://www.cosmosis.co.uk
Blimey, i need a cup of tea after that...Wow! Amazing that Akai and Ableton don't get more involved with people like this...They've built a machine and aren't even aware of its own capabilities.. This guys a genius, i must thank him.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 am

1ino1eum wrote:Nativekontrol looks interesting, but I just wonder if it will not be redundant and obsolete as soon as M4L will be released ?

That is my guess.
If you didnt have to buy it twice for Mac and then PC i would get it
- not even a discount for both = thumbs down.

I will wait and see what happens with M4L and put the money towards that.
Theres no way people (and nativekontrol) wont have stuff going on with M4L and APC40.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:58 am

S4racen wrote:

Any thoughts??

Cheers
D
that is exaclty the kind of thing i want, will max make it possable to shift into a mode then freely asign buttons/knobs sliders? for my own use its the only thing the APC lacks.

best of luck with the project.

mattjolly

Post by mattjolly » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 pm

i don't understand why everyone is saying this is the death of the apc40...

I am thinking about purchasing the apc40... just selling my mixer and decks.. from my point of view, using some buttons to mix and control volume is not really practical. I mean maybe if i wanted to use something when i was flying or on the train yeah.. but no faders and no knobs to control effects...only rows of buttons. i dont understand the big deal. I still like the idea of what is basically resembles a mixer with some nice buttons for clip matrix.

The launchpad looks pretty and i would like to grab one maybe a bit after i get my apc... No doubt looks cool and you could do some wicked stuff but i dont realise why people would be taking there apc back or cancelling there order.. i'm confused. i played with one a few times and loved it, hence why i am making the switch from traditional djing to laptop djing if you like. yeah its a little bit bulky but its not that bad, not like luggin a korg zero 4 or sumthing...

is it because everyone sees this launchpad as more for production because if you turned up in a booth with two of these and was just mixing with buttons i dunno, i feel you would lose the vibe, doesn't feel like a traditional mixer. It just doesn't seem right to me?

Am i the only one?

Darren you played with one... thoughts? something doesn't seem right. I'm still pretty set on gettin the apc40 and i know iot comes down to preference but i cant understand why everyone basically wants to get rid of theres?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 pm

I think the APC looks great, but i dont have 400 quid to blow. The launchpad is at a fantastic price for what it does, it was a no brainer as soon as i saw the price tag. I like the fact you can have 6 as well, its something you can just keep getting more of when you have the spare cash.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 pm

mattjolly wrote:i don't understand why everyone is saying this is the death of the apc40...

I am thinking about purchasing the apc40... just selling my mixer and decks.. from my point of view, using some buttons to mix and control volume is not really practical. I mean maybe if i wanted to use something when i was flying or on the train yeah.. but no faders and no knobs to control effects...only rows of buttons. i dont understand the big deal. I still like the idea of what is basically resembles a mixer with some nice buttons for clip matrix.

The launchpad looks pretty and i would like to grab one maybe a bit after i get my apc... No doubt looks cool and you could do some wicked stuff but i dont realise why people would be taking there apc back or cancelling there order.. i'm confused. i played with one a few times and loved it, hence why i am making the switch from traditional djing to laptop djing if you like. yeah its a little bit bulky but its not that bad, not like luggin a korg zero 4 or sumthing...

is it because everyone sees this launchpad as more for production because if you turned up in a booth with two of these and was just mixing with buttons i dunno, i feel you would lose the vibe, doesn't feel like a traditional mixer. It just doesn't seem right to me?

Am i the only one?

Darren you played with one... thoughts? something doesn't seem right. I'm still pretty set on gettin the apc40 and i know iot comes down to preference but i cant understand why everyone basically wants to get rid of theres?
Because most people already have a controller with knobs and/or faders and still end up being more functional, plus being more portable. The APC40 is just way too big and bulky than it should have been. But Akai always makes their controllers too big. Maybe they're catering to the idea that people equate the size of the tool with ability. Hopefully they're getting it now that they're copying Korg's nano controllers.