Novation Launch Pad & Akai APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Novation Launch Pad & Akai APC40

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

delicioso wrote:The APC40 is just way too big and bulky than it should have been. But Akai always makes their controllers too big.
totally disagree. it's the size of a turntable which is a piece of gear most of us are used to having around and any music oriented desk should be designed to fit a pair of decks and a mixer. there's very little unused space on it.

Hopefully they're getting it now that they're copying Korg's nano controllers.
they're copying the Nano controllers? fuck I hope not. plastic pieces of shit from what I've read. useable but cheap.

the APC made me put my SL25 off into the corner, I only use it for its midi ports because I have another keyboard and the APC is now used for track faders and the BCR is used for VST control.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm

mattjolly wrote:i don't understand why everyone is saying this is the death of the apc40...

I am thinking about purchasing the apc40... just selling my mixer and decks.. from my point of view, using some buttons to mix and control volume is not really practical. I mean maybe if i wanted to use something when i was flying or on the train yeah.. but no faders and no knobs to control effects...only rows of buttons. i dont understand the big deal. I still like the idea of what is basically resembles a mixer with some nice buttons for clip matrix.

The launchpad looks pretty and i would like to grab one maybe a bit after i get my apc... No doubt looks cool and you could do some wicked stuff but i dont realise why people would be taking there apc back or cancelling there order.. i'm confused. i played with one a few times and loved it, hence why i am making the switch from traditional djing to laptop djing if you like. yeah its a little bit bulky but its not that bad, not like luggin a korg zero 4 or sumthing...

is it because everyone sees this launchpad as more for production because if you turned up in a booth with two of these and was just mixing with buttons i dunno, i feel you would lose the vibe, doesn't feel like a traditional mixer. It just doesn't seem right to me?

Am i the only one?

Darren you played with one... thoughts? something doesn't seem right. I'm still pretty set on gettin the apc40 and i know iot comes down to preference but i cant understand why everyone basically wants to get rid of theres?
There's a lot of reasons for that.LOL One, they can't afford it so they hate it(It is possible). Two, they can't get it that's why they hate it. Three, they already have controllers for their need for knobs and faders and would only need the grid to launch clips. Four, they just wanna talk ish coz they want to. Five, those APC40 owners that bought it without knowing if it is really for them, bought it without trying it.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I've used NativeLontrol since the day I got my APC and I haven't looked back.

The launch pad seems cool for sure, but I do a lot of simultaneous tweaking. How would you pan, fade and filter while launching clips? Not possible with a Lunchpad. I need my options!

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 pm

gabrielsaint wrote:I've used NativeLontrol since the day I got my APC and I haven't looked back.

The launch pad seems cool for sure, but I do a lot of simultaneous tweaking. How would you pan, fade and filter while launching clips? Not possible with a Lunchpad. I need my options!
Can you tell me what you really like about the Nativekontrol template for APC40? Coz I want to invest on one too. But maybe, I'll just wait for Max 4 Live. I'm really not sure. Coz I would like to customize my APC40 also and Max 4 Live will do that and the great thing about it, is Max 4 Live is integrated inside Ableton Live so you're opening just one program pretty much. Unlike the Nativekontrol template that you're still gonna use an MT player. But that's not gonna stop on investing for one, if it realy is really that useful.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Slightlydelic wrote:
that is exaclty the kind of thing i want, will max make it possable to shift into a mode then freely asign buttons/knobs sliders? for my own use its the only thing the APC lacks.

best of luck with the project.
Yeah that's something that can be done now with Bomes...

With Max it just becomes that much tidier....

Cheers
D

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:12 pm

gabrielsaint wrote:The launch pad seems cool for sure, but I do a lot of simultaneous tweaking. How would you pan, fade and filter while launching clips? Not possible with a Lunchpad. I need my options!
I'm not sure why people are still confused about what the Launchpad is. It's not meant as an alternative to APC40 by itself. It's more for people who already have other controllers like nocturn or nanokontrol who do not want the APC40 for various reasons like the bulky size, not being bus-powered, no template editor...etc.