sidechaining again

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dmc

sidechaining again

Post by dmc » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:07 pm

uh, i know this has come up a bunch of times, but has anyone been able to do setup a regular old sidechain compressor in Live4?

as in... kick drums on track 1 trigger the compressor on the bassline on track 2?

i'm not sure what is "sidechain" about CompressorII... it seems like a regular ol' 1 track compressor that has a frequency-sensitive trigger/key.

i know Waves has a sidechain compressor, anybody have any luck here?

or Abletons... is this at all in the works? I'd rather spend my gear $$ on reaktor instruments 2 than a boring ol compressor plug.

any help would be greatly appreciated by my basslines.

thx

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:44 pm

I've been practically begging ableton to make a proper sidechain compressor for ages, you never know, they might actually be planning one.
for the time being, there's only one I know of (apart from Logic's) and that's free from http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slider/vst/#sidech

You have to put it across the channel you want to compress, then send, say a drum from an imulse TO that channel. the sidechain compressor will then turn up as an option in a drop down box at the bottom of the impulse's channel's output menu.

It's not a great compressor but it works if you tweak it a bit. I hope Ableton do create some good sidechainable fx, a gate would be handy too.

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:16 pm

does anyone know of one for osx?

dmc

Post by dmc » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:56 pm

yeah, it's funny the only thing i use Logic for anymore is for sample trimming and sidechain compression. (and i suppose I'll use it for finalizing and dithering when i finish something w/ live4.)

tonight, i think i'll try to rewire a Logic sidechain out of Live. that will be much more fun than playing music ;)

i think a sidechain compressor with a bit of character would be an awesome tool in the Live aresenal-- very well suited to live electronic performance-- not just a studio tool.

at the very least it would be cool if you could set CompressorII to mono mode and use the right channel to compress the left (like the old Logic workaround), since I really mostly use it for bass applications...

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:14 am

If you've got Reason you can make a pretty good sidechain compressor using the Scream4, a BV512, and a pair of compressors. Pretty sure Peff had a tutorial somewhere.

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:25 am

Lookaside (sidechained) compression is possible using the Pluggo plugins. Available for Mac and PC in VST and Audio Units (naturally Mac only).
I cant think of a sig

theofficials

Post by theofficials » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:52 pm

Amberience wrote:If you've got Reason you can make a pretty good sidechain compressor using the Scream4, a BV512, and a pair of compressors. Pretty sure Peff had a tutorial somewhere.
From peff.com
Peff.com wrote: Peff
Member since Dec-5-03
329 posts Aug-29-04, 08:29 AM (PST)
Click to EMail Peff Click to send private message to Peff Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
1. "sorta"
In response to message "side-chain compression in Reason"

You can use a COMP-01 and route a mono signal through the right channel only. Then you use an extremely loud signal on the left channel (do not connect the left output) as the side-chain source.
TheOfficials / ACAPELLAS4U
P4 2.8Mhz + /1Gb of Crucial DDR Ram 1 x 200gb SATA+ 1x80gb IDE

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:59 pm

Martyn wrote:I've been practically begging ableton to make a proper sidechain compressor for ages, you never know, they might actually be planning one.
for the time being, there's only one I know of (apart from Logic's) and that's free from http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slider/vst/#sidech

You have to put it across the channel you want to compress, then send, say a drum from an imulse TO that channel. the sidechain compressor will then turn up as an option in a drop down box at the bottom of the impulse's channel's output menu.

It's not a great compressor but it works if you tweak it a bit. I hope Ableton do create some good sidechainable fx, a gate would be handy too.
cooL!

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:21 pm

i really really really would like a sidechain compressor in live as well...it's funny such a standard piece of hardware gear is so lacking in soft form...is it something to do with the hassle of routing audio through plugs?

ekko

Post by ekko » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:23 pm

FYI, the MClass Compressor in Reason 3.0 has a propper sidechain function now.

Not that it helps in this case, though, until Rewire can travel both ways. :(

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:31 pm

I have no idea what sidechain compression is supposed to do, but are you sure you can't just stick a comp II on say 3 Audio and set the "audio to" of 1 Audio and 2 Audio to 3 Audio?
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:56 am

Grrrrrr.

ok, lets get some things straight. Comp 2 in ableton live is a compressor with sidechain EQ. What this means is that if you want to, lets say, compress the signal more when the bass frequencies happen, you enable the sidechain eq an increase the bass. This sidechain eq only effects the signal that is keying the compressor, you will not hear the eq on your track. That is what sidechain compression is.

what it does not do is allow for an external key source.

Using an external key for a compressor can be a good way to clarify bass parts. (for instance by using the kick drum to key a compressor on a bass line track)

Using an external key for a gate can be even more usefull (for instance by using a kick to key a gate that has a 40hz sine wave going thru it. Or maybe by having a snare key a gate that has white noise going thru it. or by using a high hat to key a gate that has a texture or pad or vocal passing thru it.)

One interesting thing, is that i own several waves plug ins that should allow for external key dynamics, but none of them fucking work.

we all want external key dynamics effects for live.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:55 am

Voxengo Crunchessor is an excellent sidechain compressor.

plonkman

Hey!

Post by plonkman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 am

Maybe if Ableton do one they could charge $150 for it!!??

Heh.. sorry, that`s probably not that funny to a lot of you.
"Knickers!" - Syd James 1913 - 1976

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:47 am

leisuremuffin wrote:

Using an external key for a gate can be even more usefull (for instance by using a kick to key a gate that has a 40hz sine wave going thru it. Or maybe by having a snare key a gate that has white noise going thru it. or by using a high hat to key a gate that has a texture or pad or vocal passing thru it.)

One interesting thing, is that i own several waves plug ins that should allow for external key dynamics, but none of them fucking work.

we all want external key dynamics effects for live.

-lm
sinus FX make a good sidechain gate calle 'Golden Gate 2', no compressor unfortunately but the gate's a goodun.

http://www.sinusweb.de/

You have to use two instances of it to work that way, one as transmitter the other receiver, so Live's routing is not taken advantage of at all. It does work very well indeed and is very reasonably priced.

I emailed the developer a while ago and asked if he had any plans to build a sidechain compressor but he said 'not at present' unfortunately.