Reducing sample rate?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
paradiddle
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:21 am
Location: mtl

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by paradiddle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 am

"Say I have a file that's 24/192, What's the best way to get it to CD quality?"
you mean you want it at a worse quality?

tone's got a very good point there.

zalo
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by zalo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 am

paradiddle wrote:
"Say I have a file that's 24/192, What's the best way to get it to CD quality?"
you mean you want it at a worse quality?

tone's got a very good point there.
you cant burn a 24/192 track to a cd, if the goal here is to burn it to a cd then, yes, they do want a worse quality

Kevin Rothi
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by Kevin Rothi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Kevin Rothi wrote:"Say I have a file that's 24/192, What's the best way to get it to CD quality?"
you mean you want it at a worse quality? ;)
Yeah dude, I do. I want to be able to burn it to a CD player so that the track will play on car stereos, and I'd like it to be the best quality it can be. : /

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:47 am

just an observation because you asked about getting 'CD quality.' who listens to CDs anyway? ;) (that's a joke.)

did you try different settings to hear the difference? is there a problem or are you inventing a problem?

you asked for a specific software program, just use Live. if you can't tell the difference why sweat it? dunno man, if the song is good, the song is good. I love knowing these kinds of details but sometimes it just doesn't matter. it's 2009, most pieces of software can get results that's well beyond that you're going to hear, try to not overthink the issue, just make music. we're lucky to have these tools. if this was 1982 it might be an issue.

try it yourself, then listen to people on interweb forums.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

fishmonkey
Posts: 4082
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:54 am

ethios4 wrote:Here's a site where you can compare different aspects of SRC algorhythms from various softwares.
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
The iZotope 64-bit SRC seems to be the best actually.
if you are on a Mac, Wave Editor is $79 and includes the Izotope conversion and dithering stuff...

Kevin Rothi
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by Kevin Rothi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:36 am

fishmonkey wrote:
ethios4 wrote:Here's a site where you can compare different aspects of SRC algorhythms from various softwares.
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
The iZotope 64-bit SRC seems to be the best actually.
if you are on a Mac, Wave Editor is $79 and includes the Izotope conversion and dithering stuff...
Yup, thanks. It's just what I was looking for.

paradiddle
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:21 am
Location: mtl

Re: Reducing sample rate?

Post by paradiddle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:47 am

I don't recall saying that or neither did Tone for that matter. I though it was funny considering what was said in this thread.
zalo wrote:
paradiddle wrote:
"Say I have a file that's 24/192, What's the best way to get it to CD quality?"
you mean you want it at a worse quality?

tone's got a very good point there.
you cant burn a 24/192 track to a cd, if the goal here is to burn it to a cd then, yes, they do want a worse quality

Post Reply