Leeds' compressor review - Cytomic 'The Glue'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andy_cytomic

Re: Leeds' compressor review - Cytomic 'The Glue'

Post by andy_cytomic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks for the props guys! I've now added the oversampling feature to The Glue, so check out v1.1.1 and have a play.

Also the SOS review I mentioned in the previous post is out, so go and grab a copy of the latest issue (November 2010) and read it in full. It's their 25th anniversary issue to boot. I have a subscription to SOS and thoroughly recommend it. In the review Frederick does an in depth comparison between Cytomic The Glue, Waves SSL Bus Comp, UAD 4k Bus comp, the analog TK Audio BC1, and the analog Gyraf SSL with old style dbx chips. A small quote from the review: "Cytomic have gone to great lengths to mimic the sound of the famous SSL bus compressor, with its unique ability to ‘glue’ things together. How does their plug-in compare with established offerings from Waves and UA? ... Compared to similar plug-ins, The Glue sounds more open and has a more defined stereo width — and it certainly provides ‘the glue’ on a variety of instruments ... and at a great price too!" http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... e-glue.htm
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:12 am

cant go wrong for the price!
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 am

I've been using Cytomic's "The Glue" for over a year now. It's the only third-party compressor I use. Prompted me to get rid of my original Mackie UAD1 card.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 am

Nice review leads!

Guys, im in the marked for a good compressor. I really like FabFilter Pro C. How does it hold up against The Glue? Im looking for a good and smart work horse, all-round compressor that's easy on the cpu.

Pro C vs The Glue?

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 am

ze2be wrote:Nice review leads!

Guys, im in the marked for a good compressor. I really like FabFilter Pro C. How does it hold up against The Glue? Im looking for a good and smart work horse, all-round compressor that's easy on the cpu.

Pro C vs The Glue?
FabFilter Pro C is a very good compressor. However, it was not designed to emulate hardware. It is very transparent and clean, and this is exactly what is often needed. It is also very versatile, has many options and a wonderful FabFilter-branded UI.

I actually have both Pro C and The Glue in my arsenal. And these are the only compressors I actually use. I usually use the Glue on the drums, the bass and as a bus comp, while I use Pro C in sub-mixes or special situations, sometimes as a master compressor, in some projects.

There's a new FabFilter product recently released called Pro L. It's a limiter, which promises to be very transparent processor, so I am looking forward to check. Love their plugins and their approach.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:07 pm

locojohn wrote:FabFilter Pro C is a very good compressor. However, it was not designed to emulate hardware. It is very transparent and clean, and this is exactly what is often needed. It is also very versatile, has many options and a wonderful FabFilter-branded UI.

I actually have both Pro C and The Glue in my arsenal. And these are the only compressors I actually use. I usually use the Glue on the drums, the bass and as a bus comp, while I use Pro C in sub-mixes or special situations, sometimes as a master compressor, in some projects.

There's a new FabFilter product recently released called Pro L. It's a limiter, which promises to be very transparent processor, so I am looking forward to check. Love their plugins and their approach.

Andrejs
"money money money, must be funny"!
Jokes aside, I see your point :) I want bouth now... Gonna try the demos. Pro L looks great!