If you had known about Launchpad would you have bought APC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Yes
43%
No
38%
Maybe
19%

Total votes: 143

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:31 am

This poll is for APC owners. I moved heaven and earth trying to get one, last attempt was importing one from JRR in the States, but they had just run out and weren't shure when they were getting new stock, so in the end (and very much inspired by Akai's unfair European pricing) I thought "screw this" and spent my money on something else. Am I ever glad I did that! Looks like I'll be firing clips and scenes from an even bigger grid before they year is over and that Novation thing fits right in the space that became available when I switched from mouse to trackball, and I will still have my beloved BCF full-length motorised faders for mixing.

I don't understand why the Novation product was announced so late TBH, sure that helps Akai but what about Joe the customer?

djsynchro

Re: If you had known about Launchpad would you have bought APC?

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41 am

Mmm maybe Novation themselves decided not to announce it until they had manufactured enough to serve the market. I know the Nocturn was shit hot as soon as it was announced ($99 controller with a heads up GUI) and I got one the week it came out, never heard any of the horror stories with distribution like with Akai. :?:

I guess we'll know how that will go pretty soon! :)

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I was just posting something like this in another thread!
novation have scored with this one.

Allan A.Live

Post by Allan A.Live » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Definitely yes - launchpad is only a small part of the apc...

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 am

i knew it was bound to happen thats why i held out for so long. I was predicting either novation was going to do it or korg was going to compete with akai.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 am

The launchpad doesn't appeal to me. I am happy with my APC.

Illum

Post by Illum » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 am

I wish the apc had an 8 x 8 grid, but not enough to ditch it for the launchpad. not trying to turn a knob on a button matrix.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 am

The launchpad is mostly going to appeal to people who already have other controllers and mostly just needed the clip launching grid (which at 8x8 is more useful than the APC's 8x5 grid). Hence the massive cost differential. If you don't have other controllers such as Nanopads, Sl Zero II, BCF2000s, Faderfoxes etc, then the APC is the best choice. Many Live users do have other controllers and thus shelling out 399 bucks for the APC is not cost effective compared to the Launchpad.

Then again, a Launchpad without something to control faders and knobs is a much more limited tool at present, still useful for DJs, but with less creative potential.

Again, these products target different clientele, they are not in direct competition with each other - although, AKAI got a lot of sales from people who did have other controllers, on the buzz of a new product because many people didn't know the Launchpad was coming and whom might well have just purchased the LP had they known.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:08 am

I am of the exact same opinion as leedsquietman. Each controller caters to a different set of needs (with all the arguments already put forth).

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am

im loving the Apc, i built a step sequencer for it today,

i nearly started a thread yesterday for advice on which groove boxes have a good hardware step sequencer, in the end i though wtf am i thinking of, i got the APC sat here. :mrgreen:

i will get around to buying a novation i expect as i just dont think you can have too much controll, but i will be honest and say when the time comes and ive got the money to do it, if i happen to have 400 quid in my pocket rather than just the £150 i will walk out of the shop with another APC.

when i consider the kind of money ive spent over the years on music gear and what ive got for that money the APC is one of the better bargains if not the best. ive got no reason to grumble about the APC, yeah theirs things it cant do, but no one ever told me it could do them, its no more an end all controller than ableton is the end all daw/live tool.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 am

oh, and i cant wait to see all the bitching and moaning start about the novation when controller number 3-4-5 hit the shelves.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:19 am

Da hand wrote:I am of the exact same opinion as leedsquietman. Each controller caters to a different set of needs (with all the arguments already put forth).
plus the Launch Pad will probably be the Devil's Plaything when max4Live comes out. I already made the joke about playing Tetris on it, that will be LOLZ.

Slightlydelic wrote:oh, and i cant wait to see all the bitching and moaning start about the novation when controller number 3-4-5 hit the shelves.
bitching and moaning?? what bitching and moaning?? people bitch and moan??
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:25 am

Lol @ Tetris.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:27 am

Centipede would be interesting too.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:34 am

Yes. I use enough usb ports anyways with APC40, maschine, Kore, BCR2000 and nanokeys. Don't need to split devices into smaller chunks. But of course the launchpad looks cool and all...
Professional Shark Jumper.