Why must everybody shat on the APC because of the Launchpad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aizo

Re: Why must everybody shat on the APC because of the Launchpad?

Post by aizo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm

I really want the LP. I like working on the go and the APC is just too big to lug around to the park, McD's, or work. I really want to launch clips at work without having to set up everything. I have sometimes only an hour to dick around. That's why I want a LP. I don't see much use of it at home. But for on the go music making it's forkin grizzly great. Still love the fudge out of my APC.
ImageImage

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 pm

aizo wrote:I really want the LP. I like working on the go and the APC is just too big to lug around to the park, McD's, or work. I really want to launch clips at work without having to set up everything. I have sometimes only an hour to dick around. That's why I want a LP. I don't see much use of it at home. But for on the go music making it's forkin grizzly great. Still love the fudge out of my APC.
It's a great coffee-shop composition tool :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm

IMO

1. Simplicity. I don't have an APC40 but there seems to be some complaints about how some people wish it would work and communicate with Live. All those knobs, buttons, and faders make the imagination explode with possibilities that may not pan out in reality. With the Launchpad there's no such delusions with the layout, but it looks like you can get more out of it than you'd expect. So with the APC40 you're probably overestimating it and with the Launchpad you're underestimating it.

2. 8X8 grid. I find it kind of annoying there's a 5X8 grid on the APC40. And no, I'm not interested in some third party software that changes the functionality of certain buttons to give you an 8X8 grid. Putting 3 dining room table chairs next to each other does not make it a couch. This is the way my brain works.

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:30 pm

The APC is awesome; I have no intention of getting rid of it.

shamburglar

Post by shamburglar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:34 pm

I think the APC makes some compromises to be a good solution for live performance and composing. For me its really great when I'm writing a song and need to quickly record phrases and adjust levels of tracks... the sliders and traditional mixer approach with record arming per track make it feel much more like a multitrack recording setup... then you flip all that on its head and play live with the dang thing... I think its a pretty good middle ground... I'm real tempted to pick a launchpad at some point b/c it looks very fun.. and sounds like it plays much nicer with other software.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Pasha wrote:I do not have the APC because I do not perform live.
The APC used playing live is perfect, however I find it more versatile in the studio IMO --- I love the studio, & I think thats why it settles better. Producing/writing with the APC in Live is just like working on a hardware multi-track recorder, with very little limitations. Producing for years fully with keyboard/mouse got to be a drag---Now its back to a more hands on approach. I can't see myself making a better workflow w/ the Launchpad---Combined w/ APC could be interesting, though once again NO VELOCITY SENSITIVE PADS???, or did I miss the memo? #2 hate on the pending '12 reasons to hate the launchpad' - "it has no velocity sensitive pads"

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:40 pm

shamburglar wrote:the sliders and traditional mixer approach with record arming per track make it feel much more like a multitrack recording setup
You said b4 I could :wink:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 pm

- I have a BCF= full-length motorised faders plus 8 encoders for pan & effects sends. If you use flip (like on Yamaha O series mixers) you get to set aux levels with the faders, even cooler.
- I have a Nocturn, can control racked Live stuff & transport(via my instant mappings) anything else in Live (via Midi mapping) VSTs (wrapped plug-ins)
it has a pop-up GUI that appears/disappears as soon as you touch/let go of a knob (Automap Pro)
- Only want the grid!
- Only really have space for the grid
- Akai's Euro pricing is whack. F*ck em! :twisted:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:15 pm

besides I think the fact that you can only access 3 effects sends but you do have an encoder for pan (which is almost totally useless for performing live)on the APC... well thought-out? Mmmm. In contrast the user modes on the Launchpad kick ass! It will not make for smooth fades but playing live is not about subtlety, and it will let you do stuff like go from max to min in an instant, very interesting!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Seems that the biggest reason is price, mostly because of the way they are screwing everyone except the US. If I didn't live in the US I probably wouldn't have bought the APC because of price, but LP + another controller costs nearly as much as an APC here, plus they will take up more space.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Launchpad has the edge for me due to having an 8x8 grid. That's the one thing I don't like on the APC, the 8x5 grid.

And I have Kore 2 for controlling mixer funtions and Live devices.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm

8O wrote:My guess it's also because it's just announced and no-one's tried one out yet and we don't have posts on "the 12 things I hate about my launchpad" yet. I'm sure when it's really available in the shops and people try it out, the hype will calm down and people will buy the APC or the Launchpad on more rational criteria.
yup, also i am curios about the built quality / feel of the unit...

tarekith wrote:
Hahahaa, you said "Rational Criteria" on the Ableton forum, that's like a double negative.
yes, that is the best joke on this forum ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can't think of a more hardcore fanboy base then here... they could wrap real dog shit in shiny alloy and sell it, as long as it carries the ableton logo...

ha ha ha... :lol:

uff, sorry dom, i know i really have to watch my language... :|
(but that is not addressed to anyone personally, it's a joke OK!)
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 pm

squelcht wrote:I at least think the APC is the bees knees over the Launchpad. Why does it seem so many on the forum are looking to throw the APC out like a used cum rag? Guess I'm old skool. I heart knobs...
it's what the interweb is for.

mine is on order, b-day present from the wife. :D

when it comes to tweaking and user hacks I'd much rather have the Launch Pad for that and leave the APC as an overall general controller.

LP + max4Live = perfect tweak toy for Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:40 pm

beats me wrote: Putting 3 dining room table chairs next to each other does not make it a couch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 pm

aizo wrote:I really want the LP. I like working on the go and the APC is just too big to lug around to the park, McD's, or work.
Yeah, I don't know of too many parks with outlets.

I never wanted the APC40 because of the bulk and it was not usb bus powered. I knew that better matrix controllers were coming (the future is inexpensive multitouch touchscreens anyway) and I could get by with the ableton matrix mode on my Maschine in the meantime.

Novation wins with the Launchpad. Bus powered portability, 8x8 monome-like grid which will make it seamless to run monome apps, sensible pricing, automap compatibility...etc.