Just another headphone thread... ignore it.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Just another headphone thread... ignore it.

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 am

I tried to search for the headphone thread from a couple of months back, but "headphones" brings back too many matches...

I'm headed to guitar center to pick up a Korg nanopad and/or nanocontrol and wanted to pick up a good set of headphones for traveling. I have Beyer Dynamics DT 770s which are great for the studio but too big to be carrying around on say an airplane or train etc.

Not trying to spend too much but want something thats good for mixing on the road...

suggestions?

sorry about the repeat thread.
Last edited by H20nly on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

leedsquietman

Re: Headphones... I know, I know its been done... but

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 am

For closed back headphones (which you need for tracking and can be used for mixing but not for extended periods).

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR 7509HD

are good options

FOr open back headphones (which are more comfortable and better for extended mixing but not for tracking as they leak sound into the room)
Sennheiser HD650s
AKG K702

(both of these are pretty pricey but excellent quality).

I own the ATHM50 and HD650. I probably use the ATH50 most of the time, but for relaxed, comfortable listening the HD650s. The ATHM50s start to hurt my ears after a couple of hours use with the heavy pads but don't leak sound into the room (important if other people are doing something else in the room and/or tracking vocals or acoustic guitars etc).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

H20nly

Re: HBO - Help a Brotha Out...

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 am

Awesome thanks!!!

I just found a thread that cacti made a few weeks back. you and several others recommended ATH-M50s. I like the price and the recommendations are high...

you know leedsquietman you're a solid ass dude in my book as far as this forum is concerned. thanks for all the good advice along the way. thats for real bro.

Stay cool.

I'm out the door.

/thread.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Earwax69

Re: Just another headphone thread... ignore it.

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 am

I use the m-50 headphones for my mixing and they are very very nice for the price. A very balanced feeling. Highly recommanded.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:00 am

ath m50's also here also.. you won't regret it.. although isn't it about the same size as your Beyer's?

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 am

M50s here also. They are FTW for the price.LOL I rock that together with my old m30s. They translate to each other together with my KRK monitor very well and some engineers I knew, told me that their m50s translate to their Dynaudio and Events monitor very well also. And if you're in the US, buy that headphone on Ebay. I bought mine there and I only paid 87 bucks free shipping and brand new coz the original price for it is 90 but you can offer, I offered 87 and they accept it that's why.LOL
Last edited by chelemasty on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 am

got em...

^ yeah they are close to the same size as my Beyers but they're a bit smaller, seem to weigh less too plus fold down which makes em easier to transport...

I haven't even tried em yet I was just coming back to the forum to look for advice on hooking up the nanoKontrl... :|

I also picked up an AKAI LPD8. so that could be the next headache
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 am

chelemasty wrote:M50s here also. They are FTW for the price.LOL I rock that together with my old m30s. They translate to each other together with my KRK monitor very well and some engineers I knew, told me that their m50s translate to their Dynaudio and Events monitor very well also. And if you're in the US, buy that headphone on Ebay. I bought mine there and I only paid 87 bucks free shipping and brand new coz the original price for it is 90 but you can offer, I offered 87 and they accept it that's why.LOL
yeah they told me they'd be 159 at Guitar Center. I told em I found em for 89 on line.. they checked and I saved 60 bucks :wink: oh yeah.

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 am

H20nly wrote:
chelemasty wrote:M50s here also. They are FTW for the price.LOL I rock that together with my old m30s. They translate to each other together with my KRK monitor very well and some engineers I knew, told me that their m50s translate to their Dynaudio and Events monitor very well also. And if you're in the US, buy that headphone on Ebay. I bought mine there and I only paid 87 bucks free shipping and brand new coz the original price for it is 90 but you can offer, I offered 87 and they accept it that's why.LOL
yeah they told me they'd be 159 at Guitar Center. I told em I found em for 89 on line.. they checked and I saved 60 bucks :wink: oh yeah.
Sweetness!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was about to reply that, that sucks if you payed 159. But you replied so fast and I saw it...LOL Good deal.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 am

HD650s here.. super detailed sound and great bass. very comfortable to wear.. you need a decent amp to power them properly though.
Also very little ear fatigue after a long session.. my old cans always caused me to have fuzzy ears the next day..
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 am

sony 7506,

nice, good comfort and foldable, really small for a bag.

or sennheiser HD 280s, also foldable and extremely light.
*** Image GAFM ***

H20nly

Re: HBO - Help a Brotha Out...

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:01 pm

H20nly wrote:/thread.
Thanks guys. The ATH-M50s are sweet.

IntotheBlue

Post by IntotheBlue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 am

Do any of you guys have the ATH-M50's as well as Sony 7509 and could compare them for me? I have the sony's and they work great, the key...would i be getting deeper more accurate base from the ATH's or should i just save my money?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:30 am

If you have 7509s they are close enough in sound to the ATH-M50s and are almost equally as good, so I would keep them and only go to the ATH-M50 when you need to replace the Sonys as worn out, because the AT headphones are just unbelievable value for the price, given the sound quality.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I actually find that the 7506's have a cleaner, more separated sound than the 7509's (I gave those to my girlfriend, kept the 7506's).

-S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva