Why are you not upgrading to Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Why are you not upgrading to Live 8?

Post by rbro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 am

For you Live 7 users that do not plan on upgrading to Live 8, mind if I ask why?

mr.adl

Re: Why are you not upgrading to Live 8?

Post by mr.adl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 am

Guess stability issues.

I for myself upgraded the day it got released, but i betatested it as well and knew that it worked fine on my machine (PC, XP SP3) .

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:19 am

I'm kind of in a groove working on 7 as it is and the thought of not keeping my library or not being able to be sure my work flow won't be severely interrupted is enough to keep me from spending another couple hundo.

I don't even really know if what I'm talking about is true or not though considering live 8's shortcomings. Just read some bad posts... and then thought about how all the music I've loved up until this point in my life was made without live 8 and thought there was no reason to pay such a high price for something that sounded unstable and was not seemingly necessary to make quality tunes.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 am

I'm still on 6! Haven't had a use for the extra features yet.

cacti

Post by cacti » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:01 am

q.musgrove wrote:I'm kind of in a groove working on 7 as it is and the thought of not keeping my library or not being able to be sure my work flow won't be severely interrupted is enough to keep me from spending another couple hundo.

I don't even really know if what I'm talking about is true or not though considering live 8's shortcomings. Just read some bad posts... and then thought about how all the music I've loved up until this point in my life was made without live 8 and thought there was no reason to pay such a high price for something that sounded unstable and was not seemingly necessary to make quality tunes.

this.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 am

meh - nothin new there that i need. there's still a lot in 7 i don't really use. for me,the last big jump in live was when it went midi, everything since then's been evolution in my opinion, no huge leaps - guess i'm waiting for that again?
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:38 am

hmm guess im a lucky one its been really good on stability within live 8, freaking love this program. guess if there is no need to upgrade though and since the economy is so shitty people just dont want to fork out the extra cash for something they dont need.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

MrShine

Post by MrShine » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 am

Stability i guess, plus 7 struggles sometimes on my system as it is without adding more to it.

When i feel there's more to gain from 8 I'll consider upgrading my PC & Ableton...until then there's still a shed load of stuff to learn on 7 :mrgreen:

creature

Post by creature » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 am

I jumped on 7 as soon as it was released and had loads of problems that took a few updates to iron out. So I decided not to jump on new versions straight away. I am planning on going on to Live 8 in the new year.

In the mean time, my shit aint broken so I aint fixin it.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 am

rbro wrote:For you Live 7 users that do not plan on upgrading to Live 8, mind if I ask why?
my live 7 started crashing on os x 10.6
as far as i know 8 do not offer more stability. i will wait then for native 64-bit version for mac. maybe live 9?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am

still on live 6 here too.

I'm waiting early 2010 to upgrade for several reasons:

-1) I'm totally broke, and I can't afford even 99 euros for now
-2) Stability issues
-3) Live 6 is great. I just miss the good compressor that was launched with L7. A few extra stuff in L8 are interesting, but not a must-have for me now. Just a "may-have" ;)

-4) more stuff means less productivity at first, new learning curve, new habits to get... and I need to be productive those times, lol

cheers

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:02 am

cant afford it at the moment

also i first need a new laptop, the one i have at the moment is about 5/6 years old (1 gig ram, 40 gig hd, i dont think it would handle live 8 very well), so i need to get about 500 smackers sorted out for that first

im still using 6, i was thinking about the educational upgrade to 8 before i finished college but they did away with that - so its all down to cash really

i managed to get the educational max 5 package before college finished - that was a big bargain - now i just have to learn how to use it properly :?

tan111

Post by tan111 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm still using the 6, as for some changes, well, may be in some period of time, have some problems now.Besides can't say something goes wrong, pretty sattisfied with it

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm using Live 7 Suite (edu).

Reasons I didn't upgrade -
1) Ableton did away with educational upgrade discounts - So what would have been probably $129 became $259 and because I've only upgraded once before, I am still classified as an edu user even for paying full retail upgrade (have to upgrade 3 versions to be classified as a commercial user). I had 200 bucks available at the time and upgraded Cubase SX3 to Cubase 5 (2 generations) for only $199 and was immediately classified as a full commercial user. It's extra features were more useful to me at the time and I was doing a lot of work for people running Cubase so it made sense.

2) Stability - I beta tested 8 and could knock it over pretty easily, I figured this would quickly be rectified in the full product, but I read of plenty of gripes about it from many users still.

3) Now that we're several months into Live 8, Live 9 will probably be on us within a few months so I'll wait until then - The new Operator, group tracks, and groove templates were good additions, but not crucial to my workflow. Live 7 was a much more MUST HAVE upgrade for me when upgrading from L6, die to sidechaining, drum racks, slicer, etc.

4) I am currently out of work - hopefully I will be rehired before the month is out, but money is just so tight.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Live 7 has been pretty stable for me and I have my workflow down. Nothing in 8 seemed that compelling to make me want to throw down a few hundred bucks (especially since they killed the EDU upgrade) and now I've waited so long I feel like I might as well wait for Live 9.