What laptop stand are you rockin'?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: What laptop stand are you rockin'?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Always like Christopher Willits' setup. Gotta get rid of my dorky keyboard stand setup, get some mic stands, and rig something like this up. Very minimal. Nice.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:25 pm

outershpongolia wrote:^ How would that not work at gigs?
Well it probably wouldn't work for mine, it wouldn't fit in an airplane carryon or in a backpack for the subway. Also, lose any bolts or that Ikea hexwrench and you're screwed.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Always like Christopher Willits' setup. Gotta get rid of my dorky keyboard stand setup, get some mic stands, and rig something like this up. Very minimal. Nice.

+1

I had a similar vision a while back of having everything on mic stands. Only a few gear manufactures realize this potential & build their gear with threads for mic attachment. Kudos to Alesis for their AirFX & AirSynths, & to Musitronics for the mic stand attachment on my good old Bi-Phase.

Fortunately, there are a few companies (Quik Lok for one), that make small shelves that attach to mic stands.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:53 am

digitalgeist wrote:
Well it probably wouldn't work for mine, it wouldn't fit in an airplane carryon or in a backpack for the subway. Also, lose any bolts or that Ikea hexwrench and you're screwed.
Oh yeah no doubt it's too big for airplane, subway etc..

I have a backpack, a 25-key synth bag by gator, bass in a soft case, and a quick lock stand with some attachments..

My rule of thumb is I have to be able to carry it in one trip, you should see me with a backpack, gearbag, bass bag and a big ass quik lock in my hand.. but I only need to go from my car to my buddies back door...

and if we ever play shows that we can't drive too, or if we're traveling by plane or whatever it's gonna be a slimmed down set up with no bass, maybe not even the synth, and we'll have to have the venue supply a table.. That type of setup would fit into the one backpack for sure.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

digitalgeist wrote:
Yeah definitely not a portable unit... But a good studio solution.

ScarKord

Post by ScarKord » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:36 am

Got a laptop riser for the bargain price of £16 from Thomann. Very sturdy too.

Here's a pic of the riser with my laptop and APC40...

ScarKord - Electronic music, remix and sound design
http://www.scarkord.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/scarkord

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Anyone with the Griffin Elevator have issues with it? I read a couple reviews that the grips on it start to fail after a while and the laptop slides down. Couple people found their laptops on the floor.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Verbal wrote:Anyone with the Griffin Elevator have issues with it? I read a couple reviews that the grips on it start to fail after a while and the laptop slides down. Couple people found their laptops on the floor.
I broke the fucking thing the first day I got it.. It's like one of the arms wasn't the right size (too big), so when I slid it in it wouldn't come out. Had all my friends trying to get it out, then finally I snapped the clear piece across the bottom trying to release it from the superman grip...

Just make sure you don't break it trying to disassemble it and it'll be fine.

UL

Post by UL » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Spacetek tabletop clamp down. I love it, and i can bring it anywhere to clamp down

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:00 am

I just bought one of these because I recently purchased a rack-mounted Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.

Adjustable cleats for any size laptop and cable holes for USB/Firewire.

I have to say, it is awesome. The included mouse mat inside the lid is kool too.

The is a 4RU version as well, for those wanting more rack space. I'm looking into a sliding tray to hold all my crap (mice, audio leads etc.).

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:11 am

oblique strategies wrote: Fortunately, there are a few companies (Quik Lok for one), that make small shelves that attach to mic stands.

Oblique, kudos man. Been looking for a couple of weeks for this kind of stuff. Fantastic.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 am

Who has the Griffin Elevator stand? I'm thinking about ordering one but I've read stories of laptops sliding off of it.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:00 am

Verbal wrote:Who has the Griffin Elevator stand? I'm thinking about ordering one but I've read stories of laptops sliding off of it.
I don't see how laptops could slide, since theres some pretty good rubber on the bottom and where the laptop sits, but I could see how they don't like their laptops just sitting on them at an angle without anything at the front to keep it from sliding forward, but it definitely doesn't happen unless someone knocks it.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:20 am

outershpongolia wrote:
Verbal wrote:Who has the Griffin Elevator stand? I'm thinking about ordering one but I've read stories of laptops sliding off of it.
I don't see how laptops could slide, since theres some pretty good rubber on the bottom and where the laptop sits, but I could see how they don't like their laptops just sitting on them at an angle without anything at the front to keep it from sliding forward, but it definitely doesn't happen unless someone knocks it.
First two reviews on Amazon. Makes me leary of buying it. I don't want to have to worry about taking it off the stand when I'm done.
Slip sliding away, April 20, 2007
By Peter Gaskill "Wokn" (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews

I got this product for my 15" Mac Book pro and was initially thrilled as it is a nice looking product that keeps the computer elevated at an excellent angle. But after about 4 months, I noticed the computer would start to slip down the stand, that the grip pads were not holding the computer anymore. Maybe the heat from the laptop melted the grip on the pads or something. After the computer slid all the off and hit my desk one night I just threw the stand away.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?
Report this | Permalink
Comments (4)

45 of 49 people found the following review helpful:
Computer slips off stand, April 20, 2007
By Charlotte (Miami, FL) - See all my reviews
About an hour after leaving my laptops side I awake to a crash and realized that my laptop was no longer on my desk but on the floor. I had left the screen open with it on what i thought was a secure laptop stand. I closed the laptop and put it further up on the stand so i could see if it slipped down by morning. . .Well it did, the computer slipped a good 3 or four inches. This product needs some sort of lip on the end of it so the computer does not fall off. The previous clear model from Griffin had this and I am not sure by they decided to get rid of it. I am going to return the product. My laptop is worth too much to risk it falling again.
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-1093-CURV ... ewpoints=1

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 am

I think I'm going to backward engineer this bitch and save $100:

http://www.thecranestand.com/pages/crane.html