How did you learn ableton live?please share your story.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
necho

Re: How did you learn ableton live?please share your story.

Post by necho » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am

I used it. A lot.
_________
sigs suck.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am

The lessons to get me going, few Youtube videos, the help section and common sense?

Have looked through the manual, but that was a couple of months ago when I thought I probably should.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm

I like to think inside the box so I wondered what it would be like to actually be a clip in Live. If you can visualise then you can contextualise.

So I made a box like a 3d clip, and orange one, then i made loads of empty boxes and arranged them in a grid.

Then i climbed inside my orange one and had someone tape me in.

Once safely inside I warped myself using different modes, triggered myself silly and became the clip.

Be the clip, understand Live.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:13 pm

UKRuss wrote:I like to think inside the box so I wondered what it would be like to actually be a clip in Live. If you can visualise then you can contextualise.

So I made a box like a 3d clip, and orange one, then i made loads of empty boxes and arranged them in a grid.

Once safely inside I warped myself using different modes, triggered myself silly and became the clip.

great!
*** Image GAFM ***

naph

Post by naph » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:28 pm

UKRuss wrote:I like to think inside the box so I wondered what it would be like to actually be a clip in Live. If you can visualise then you can contextualise.

ROFL

about the thread:

practice (loads of)
video tutorials
the manual (for the most obscure things)
sharing ideas and sessions chair to chair with some real friends.

emef

Post by emef » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 pm

i learned the basics a few years ago so i could use it to play live
i carried on using cubase as my main track writing sequencer
last year i decided to learn live properly and use it as my main sequencer
i went through all the tips and tricks threads here, writing down all the best tips
i bought and read a book on ableton live 7, marking all the interesting parts
i watched tutorials on youtube
and i read the manual extensively
make tunes with live a lot so my methods of working become second nature like they were for me previously with cubase

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Used it almost everyday since V1. Self Taught.

The Forum, (if you look past all the OT BS, there is a veritable cornicopia of information here) 8)

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 pm

The same way I learn a new synth...Turn it on and start pushing buttons. The manual came in way later. The program is very intuitive though. I was surprised how much I figured out on my own. Live is like one giant fucking sampler/groovebox. After playing with those for so many years (especially MPC's) it becomes a second language to you. Alot of us old school electro junkies can step sequence with our eyes closed 8) I'm sure many will agree---Live has been a blessing of the ages. Sure, the DJ scene goes ape shit over how Live changed their perspective of gigging, however for the "non-DJ" writer/composers/producers its a whole differn't buzz. Especially w/ M4L coming into play?? Endless opportunities. My vote goes in for Ableton to be among the things placed in a time capsule to represent the greatest achievements of our time... :wink:

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:12 pm

djatma wrote:Im starting this post to see how other producers learned ableton live. I bought ableton approximately 24 days ago and did all the help menu's to the side, i learned a lot.....
came from classic linear sequencer software. then discovered how session view and clips (scene launch) works on demo song. never looked back.

what i like:
- minimalistic gui (now i hate if vst/au tries to mimic real device)
- ableton instruments (mostly because of its consistent interface)
- easy warping

sources of information (in order of importance):
- self learning / google on general topics (for example "subtractive synthesis")
- ableton site / live help and lessons (limited resources but important information for start)
- youtube / this forum (almost unlimited resources)

i would say that you should find right device to comunicate with the software. i started with kaoss pad in external controler midi mode, replaced it within one day with m-audio x-session pro which was still not enough after two days. than i got s/h zero4 mixer (i considered also xone:3d but price was too high and you can use only three stereo pairs via usb) which is still enough for me after a one year.

ps. just read about tom cosm ommision in one post. i would confirm it is mandatory. like an midi controller that fits you.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 pm

necho wrote:I used it. A lot.
+7.

Practise makes perfect, like most things. Well, practise makes not as bad :)
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:56 pm

keep the help box open in the lower left corner of the GUI.

read the tips and tricks sticky, try ALL the tips, you'll learn tons.

answer n00b questions, there's no better way to see what you know than to put it in black and white for the entire world to correct you or amend to what you already know.

when you don't know what to do with Live because you're not feeling creative, try a new feature you've never used. don't try to make music, just try new stuff.

ignore any advice nebulae gives.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote: answer n00b questions, there's no better way to see what you know than to put it in black and white for the entire world to correct you or *shit on* what you already know.
sorry, had to. :D
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

channelite

Post by channelite » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:15 pm

I downloaded the Live videos from ableton.com and put them on my ipod and would listen and watch when ever I could. Like at work or driving..

http://www.ableton.com/pages/tips/home
http://www.ableton.com/movies?type=tutorial

http://www.groove3.com/str/ has a Live lesson for $30.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Ed J wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: answer n00b questions, there's no better way to see what you know than to put it in black and white for the entire world to correct you or *shit on* what you already know.
sorry, had to. :D
gotcha, you're an asshole. I wasn't sure about you, I thought you only asked people to fix the mastering of your horrid tunes.

I only shit on people when they post bad info about audio. check the URL dumbass, it's an audio forum. sometimes I shit on people when they put the shitgun in their mouth like you did, then they're just asking for it. what a stupid thing to write, crapping on an asshole... you need to level up on your street smarts.

watch what you post.

channelite - damn good idea. the Live movies are quite good.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:34 pm

When I first started looking for a software solution with midi. I downloaded cubase, sonar, fl studio, live, nuendo, and adobe audition. Everything else was confusing to me when it came to midi, especially sonar. Ableton Live was the only software out of the group that had built in lessons to get me started, right in the software itself. It was great not having a separate .pdf open, or some web page with a video that I would have to click back and forth from. Live taught me how to use Live. That's why I bought it and use it today.