I'm a bit confused: Ableton and Jitter?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jOop.

I'm a bit confused: Ableton and Jitter?

Post by jOop. » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:21 am

Max for Live will included the Jitter suite, or at least Jitter objects show up in a screen shot on the M4L page.

Anybody have any clue what these would be used for? I'm familiar with the program (and Nato 0+55 before it). What I'm not familiar with is how these objects will integrate with the
Live environment. Live hasn't had any video stuff included in it, has it?

leonard

Re: I'm a bit confused: Ableton and Jitter?

Post by leonard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 am

http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/max_for_live
faq says jitter is supported.
i want to know too.
although i'm very much a max/msp/jitter n00b,
i've entered the realm of image processing over the last six months,
i'd like very much to see how some people integrate mfl and jitter,
???

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:40 am

mebe aks some of the beta geeks,
they'd tell us...
???

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:56 am

Ableton does have some sort of video integration, but that's as little as I know.
I have Resolume running on a seperate laptop and send it MIDI through clips set up on my main laptop to change the visualizer clips. Pretty minimal but it's fun.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:09 am

http://www.ableton.com/maxforlive

"Max is the foundation on which Cycling '74 constructed their support for audio and visual media: MSP is a complete set of audio objects that work seamlessly within Max, and Jitter provides a robust architecture for video and matrix data processing. Max for Live now brings the full functionality of Max, MSP and Jitter to Live, with seamless integration. For more on Max, visit the Cycling '74 website."

I'd like to see more screenshots like this one

with descriptions. the objects with a green corner on the lower right are Live specific. there's a tab for jitter. ;) (I'm not a beta tester.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:45 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:http://www.vimeo.com/6949577
That is amazing.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:26 pm

+ 23, excellent...although maybe just another five minutes of fun gimmick?

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

I spent some time with the developers of Max4Live, and they said that all the Jitter objects will be available.

This means you can have a Jitter window in the UI interface area of a Max4Live patch, and you can also have Jitter create standalone windows, the way it does in Max. So basically, all of Jitter will be available.

Incidentally, a large number of the Jitter operations are basically matrix operations that can be applied to matrix data other than video: Luke DuBois once showed us a scenario where he restored an audio recording by using Jitter's brightness and contrast tools.

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:05 am

gpvillamil wrote:Luke DuBois once showed us a scenario where he restored an audio recording by using Jitter's brightness and contrast tools.
my head just exploded

jOop.

Post by jOop. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 am

What really confuses me about this is how Ableton can either

A) Think to charge $$ for a feature most people will probably ignore

or

B) Give a $$ application like Jitter away essentially for free.

I'm very pro jitter, but I can imagine a lot of people would rather see M4L cheaper than have those objects included (I wouldn't be one of them).

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:02 am

in my mind, the people that wouldnt really use jitter are the people who probably wont buy M4L anyway

i dont know about everyone else, but a large part of our show is visual, and up until M4L i didnt have a solid way of doing video

jOop.

Post by jOop. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 am

zalo wrote:in my mind, the people that wouldnt really use jitter are the people who probably wont buy M4L anyway

i dont know about everyone else, but a large part of our show is visual, and up until M4L i didnt have a solid way of doing video
On one level I hear you. However, to play devils advocate a bit, Live is - first and foremost - about the audio. I doubt anybody would take issue with me saying this.
CPU cycles, in my experiences, are always in short supply - regardless of what system I'm using. To give up any amount of that audio to visualization .. well.. the latter certainly seems a secondary consideration.

With that said, I certainly toyed with the notion of doing some cool self made visualization stuff myself.

Do you (or anybody) know a good* way of getting it out of Live and onto a wall?

* - "good" means "cheap and quality" in my little world.
Last edited by jOop. on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 am

that's a cool vid but like many M4L videos, technology is overcoming the importance of music.. again it's cool and all, but honestly, the music was blah.... why create a patch like that when for one it's probably alot easier to play a midi keyboard or controller.. It just looks like he's typing stuff up on the Star Trek Enterprise computer.. seems like it's about cool gimmicky stuff and forget about how it sounds..

jOop.

Post by jOop. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:45 am

nuxnamon wrote:
that's a cool vid but like many M4L videos, technology is overcoming the importance of music.. again it's cool and all, but honestly, the music was blah.... why create a patch like that when for one it's probably alot easier to play a midi keyboard or controller.. It just looks like he's typing stuff up on the Star Trek Enterprise computer.. seems like it's about cool gimmicky stuff and forget about how it sounds..
True, it did sound like crap. However, replace the note data with CC data (routed to a filter, parameters on a grain delay, snapshot selection in Reaktor or whatever) and you might have a more useful item.