Controllers - Get a HUB or a Guitar Pedal Board Power Supply

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
globalk

Controllers - Get a HUB or a Guitar Pedal Board Power Supply

Post by globalk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Guys,

Running out of USB ports on my Macbook (2 don't go along way).
Obvious solution is to get a powered USB hub to keep using all my bus powered devices with midi-over-usb.

Was wondering if anyone had used a guitar pedal board power supply before, and run everything midi-over-midi? on advantage I can see is would be easy to add DIY creations (stompboxes, filters) etc into the mix without worrying about seperate wall warts or batteries?

This one looks pretty good (adjustable 9, 12, 15 and 18 V @ 100ma):
http://www.burkey.nl/Flatliner%20SIX.html

Am I tripping? Would this work (assuming all my midi gear has the same pin conventions?)

Winterpark

Re: Controllers - Get a HUB or a Guitar Pedal Board Power Supply

Post by Winterpark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 am

i think you'd want to check all the voltages of everything you want to power before you do something like that.... otherwise things could get fried.

i killed a microkontrol once by accidently plugging in the wrong power supply at a rehearsal once.

i say go for the safer usb hub option
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

globalk

Post by globalk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Yeh would 100% have to make sure whatever I bought was putting out what my controllers and stuff was looking for. This one looks good as it has more options then just 9v and 12v, and you can set output on a channel by channel basis.

Has anyone done this before though?

What do all the guys with crazy gear set ups do live? Bring a hub? Bring a power board full of wall warts?
Have some kind of custom power solution set up?

Pretty curious - as a rule I'm not particularly keen on usb chords! I would rather use midi and power the devices but don't want to have 6 or so wall wart style adapters taking up outlets.

globalk

Post by globalk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Something like this might work too - except no 5v output.
The Flat liner might be better as I could run my Mopho off it too.