hi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
megahurt

hi

Post by megahurt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:26 pm

ok, nvrmnd.
Last edited by megahurt on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

see the light

Re: Can I quantize multiple audio tracks at once?

Post by see the light » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Why would you want to quantize live drum recordings?

Not sure if you can quantize audio though, only ever done it to midi tracks.
www.soundcloud.com/passerines

Audio Fuck Jiggery since 2005

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm

see the light wrote:Why would you want to quantize live drum recordings?

Correct. Probably you should do some reading on recording Midi. Quantization is a digital process and is irrelevant to audio/analog material.
fe real!

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm

evon wrote:

Correct. Probably you should do some reading on recording Midi. Quantization is a digital process and is irrelevant to audio/analog material.
erm....you should probably do some reading.... :)

Recording in Live, even with analog signals, is actually a digital process....

Quantization is the procedure of constraining something from a continuous set of values (such as the real numbers) to a discrete set (such as the integers).

The whole point of Live is that audio is elastic. You can move it off the beat....you can move it, or constrain it, to the beat. Ok so you can't "quantize" while recording audio but what would you say is happening to the track if you put some warp markers in and then drag every "16th" transient to 16ths on the grid?
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

megahurt

Post by megahurt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm

evon wrote:

Uhh, do people here even use Ableton Live? Of course you can quantize audio.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/announcement/groove
Quantize audio and MIDI in real time: non-destructive velocity and timing adjustments for rhythmic correction.
I can easily quantize ONE track. But just the way I can warp all 8 tracks at once, I would like to quantize all 8 tracks at once.

So please, only knowledgeable users reply.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Just band/multi select all your clips/tracks and then in the clip view of one of them apply your quantise or groove....or are you doing this and it's still not working?
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm

So you are telling me that analog signals can be quantized?

Recording in Live or any DAW is an Analog/Digital/Analog (or D/A) process. It is in the changing from analog to digital(sampling) that the errors occur this is when quantization is neccessary.
fe real!

megahurt

Post by megahurt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

evon, no offense, but this topic is over your head. Just... ignore it.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Of course I feel offended. I know what I am talking about. How can you quantize indiscrete signals? Quantization is for numbers/ discrete signals.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 pm

megahurt wrote:
evon wrote:

Uhh, do people here even use Ableton Live? Of course you can quantize audio.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/announcement/groove
Quantize audio and MIDI in real time: non-destructive velocity and timing adjustments for rhythmic correction.
I can easily quantize ONE track. But just the way I can warp all 8 tracks at once, I would like to quantize all 8 tracks at once.

So please, only knowledgeable users reply.
I think this topic is misleading, especially to people who have little understanding of the digital/analog domain. In order to quantize audio one would have to digitize it first then convert it back to analog. There is no two ways about it.
Technically audio can not be quantized. Use groove/timestretching/warping if you may, but not quantize. It just seems wrong in music production to talk about quantizing audio.
fe real!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:58 pm

megahurt wrote:evon, no offense, but this topic is over your head. Just... ignore it.
seems that way. evon you're not making sense.

instead of asking how to quantize audio I think you want to ask how to warp multiple audio tracks at once.

page 129 of the Live 8 manual:

"Multi-Clip Warping
When clips of equal length are multi-selected, adding or changing Warp Markers for one
clip will apply identical Warp Markers to all. This is convenient in any situation where several
tracks have the same rhythm, and you wish to alter the timing of each recording in the same
way. A common scenario would be when multi-tracking a band's performance, where the
musicians all play in time with each other, yet the timing itself is in some way flawed."
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Good grief evon, i was quantizing audio in Live 5 minutes ago...

We are talking about timing here, you do know that right? Or are you just being a pedant?

edit: i think evon may be talking about this kind of quantizing - http://www.yourdictionary.com/telecom/quantizing-noise

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
megahurt wrote:evon, no offense, but this topic is over your head. Just... ignore it.
seems that way. evon you're not making sense.

instead of asking how to quantize audio I think you want to ask how to warp multiple audio tracks at once.

page 129 of the Live 8 manual:

"Multi-Clip Warping
When clips of equal length are multi-selected, adding or changing Warp Markers for one
clip will apply identical Warp Markers to all. This is convenient in any situation where several
tracks have the same rhythm, and you wish to alter the timing of each recording in the same
way. A common scenario would be when multi-tracking a band's performance, where the
musicians all play in time with each other, yet the timing itself is in some way flawed."
Seems ths has turned into an ego trip for the egotists..You mean you dont want me to make sense..any idiot will tell him that he cant quantize audio and to hell with the link about quantizing audio..completely misleading.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:08 pm

macmurphy wrote:Good grief evon, i was quantizing audio in Live 5 minutes ago...

We are talking about timing here, you do know that right? Or are you just being a pedant?

edit: i think evon may be talking about this kind of quantizing - http://www.yourdictionary.com/telecom/quantizing-noise
Speaking of quantizing audio is technically wrong.

The audio signal has to be converted first. Talking about quantizing audio sounds so amateurish.
fe real!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 pm

first off, he's asking about warping, not quantizing audio, your whole tangent is irrelevant.

OK evon, let's look at your babble...
evon wrote:In order to quantize audio one would have to digitize it first then convert it back to analog. There is no two ways about it.
no. converting from analog to digital is quantizing audio. converting it back to analog is converting quantized audio into contiguous audio.

Technically audio can not be quantized.
converting an analog signal to digital is quantizing it. even then, your first statement states a (incorrect) way to quantize audio, you're contradicting yourself.
Use groove/timestretching/warping if you may, but not quantize. It just seems wrong in music production to talk about quantizing audio.
groove, warp and timestretch are not quantisation, they just move the signal around. I guess you could say you're quantizing the beat, but that's an awful description.

go sober up then come back and read this.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz