guitar hero midi controller max app

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zeal

guitar hero midi controller max app

Post by zeal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 am

hey,
just wanted to share a video i've uploaded demoing an app i'm working on in max.
it lets you (almost) simultaneously control software like ableton and play the guitar as an instrument.
just tidying it up at the moment and sorting out some documentation. i'll be releasing it for free soon (as in beer and speech... so... slurred i suppose.)
hope you dig :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5dTpy78LeY

Edit: some some details pulled off my youtube:

An app i'm working on called AXIS. it enables an xbox usb guitar hero controller to output midi to control of ableton or any other software or hardware that eats midi.

it has two modes - play and control.

in control mode the buttons, whammy and 3 tilt sensors send out midi messages. this is intended for interfacing with software.

in play mode any musical scale can be superimposed over a guitar hero scale built on the first four buttons. the up pick can be offset to allow rapid playing of fifths or whatnot. the orange button acts as a modifier key allowing change of key and offset on the fly. the D-pad changes scale and the back and start keys change volume (velocity). the three tilt sensors and whammy send out MIDI CCs to control what ever. the tilt sensors on this guitar are particularly awesome, they sit on three different axes and you can make the guitar really expressive.

there's a little HUD you can sit on top of what ever you're controlling to monitor mode, key, volume, offset and scale.

i'm sorting out some documentation and then i'll release it as a stand alone mac app. if a max-head out there want's to help me port it over to windows that'd be ace. mac and windows interpret the guitar controller differently. once finished, i'll release the source so people can modify it for other system's guitars too. I went for an xbox guitar because it's usb and the tilt sensors and whammy work which is a problem for ps2 guitars/adapters.

and this is what it looks like...
Last edited by zeal on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Dub

Re: guitar hero midi controller max app

Post by Dr Dub » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:45 pm

i LOVE (!) this!!! I will have a look how much i have to invest for a guitar hero guit.

This will be a nice way to free yourself from the computer for some time during a show and people will love to watch this.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Hey, thats nice!

Can I use this with my Z6? it has a joystick with a spring. :D
http://www.starrlabs.com/z6.php

zeal

Post by zeal » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am

thanks ze2be,
the apps very specifically written for an xbox guitar, i'll be porting it to other guitar hero guitars in the future.
your z6s already pumping out midi, yah? not sure how'd you want to use this.

@Dr dub thanks man. yeah, it definitely helps to make things visual. i've been using a simpler patch to interface with ableton for a while and it's certainly a convenient solution. the whole playable instrument mode's the new bit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 am

very cool, thanks for sharing your creations. :D
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38 pm

zeal wrote:thanks ze2be,
the apps very specifically written for an xbox guitar, i'll be porting it to other guitar hero guitars in the future.
your z6s already pumping out midi, yah? not sure how'd you want to use this.
Its tempting to get the xbox toy guitar because I dont have to worry about it so much, and its small..
Regarding the z6, yeah its full velocity midi. But I was thinking about your way to trigger notes, and also select scales on the fly. I guess its just as easy as switching scale plugs with the chain selector. Im already doing that, but your max device looked cool!

zeal

Post by zeal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 am

i've thrown another video up demoing the tilt sensor to MIDI CC functionality. makes the guitar a really expressive instrument and heaps heaps heaps fun to play.
cheers for the positive response too :D

http://ow.ly/vnvQ

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:52 am

Oh man, i want m4l NOW.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Had a look in a game store, and the xbox guitar hero game controller you can get for lest then the cost of a nano kontrol! :) It was even wireless, might that be a problem? I tried to find info on the package about what type of wireless signal, but no success.

zeal

Post by zeal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

i've gone for wired. i've had troubles with wireless in the past - dropouts and latency. that was using a ps2 controller/adapter though. the xbox one might be fine, dunno, yet to try it. if you do go wireless you need to buy the usb dongle seperately. ebay's a really good place to find xbox axes. i'll be porting the app to other guitars too, like ps3 GH and rock band controllers... might take a bit of time though.

@dr dub re max 4 live - i know, i can't wait either! mainly for the ability to turn live into a monsterous vj app. axis is probably best left stand alone cause its made for any software or hardware that''s midi controllable, not just live.

Post by 102455 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Aw, zeal - please make a Max For Live version!

zealtv

AXIS RELEASED!

Post by zealtv » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 am

haven't got down to a max4live version yet. finiding the standalone's so much more flexible. you can control apps other than ableton, control sets differently, route it any which way. but yeah, max4live version's on the horizon just for convenience of being drag and drop.

... i am still having some stability issues with m4l which have prevented me from incorporating it into my live set.... how's it going for y'all?

AND!
i don't know if i'd mentioned this on the forums yet but AXIS is finished and released!
http://zealousy.com.au/axis

there's a vid running through the features and set up here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1AnfCwl260