Beware of Kontakt 4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
purpurkatten

Beware of Kontakt 4

Post by purpurkatten » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Installed it the other day. Led to problems bigtime. I couldn´t even start playing the project I was working on, Live closed down all the time due to not enough RAM.

With Kontakt 3, there was no problem playing the same project. And when I rolled back from Kontakt 4 to the earlier backup with Kontakt 3, the project worked again.

I regret I bought the upgrade. Maybe I´ll try again sometime after new year when the bugs hopefully are ironed out. :roll:

Anyway, you´ve been warned.

nuxnamon

Re: Beware of Kontakt 4

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:19 pm

thanks for the warning man.. I've been thinking about upgrading but I'll probably wait.. question though.. did you atleast get the chance to see or compare the new library vs the kontakt 3 library?

btw.. what are u running.. os? live version?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:49 pm

How much RAM do you have? Always amazes me how little some people have with problems when it's one of the cheapest upgrades you can do.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 pm

There really shouldn't be an issue with installing 4 and continuing to use 3, since it runs as it's own independent program (independent of previous version, like Live's updates). There's nothing to "roll back" to since 3 should still be there on your system (unless you deleted things before trying, which all I can tell you is... you've just learned a valuable lesson. And no, not trying to be a dick... this really is a valuable lesson).

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm running on a laptop and a PC with absolutely no problems.

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 pm

quad 6600, 4 gig ram, xp. The point is that with Kontakt 3 I had no RAM shortage, and suddenly with Kontakt 4 I couldn´t even start the project because the update apparently eats RAM.

I used a program called RestoreIT that lets me go back to how my C-configuration looked before the problems showed up, a bit like Ghost.

Was a bit underwhelmed by the library too. Not too many new ones compared to Kontakt 3. And most of the instruments still sound phoney anyway.

The upgrade is very much evolutionary progress, nothing revolutionary at all. And why not? If NI gave everything away at once, they wouldn´t get their annual revenue from all the subscribers to new versions...
Last edited by purpurkatten on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:19 pm

purpurkatten wrote: The upgrade is very much evolutionary progress, nothing revolutionary at all. And why not? If NI gave everything away at once, they wouldn´t get their annual revenue from all the subscribers to new versions...
To be fair to NI here, plenty of reasons to knock them, but the free update to 3.5 was huge, and could have easily been a paid upgrade. Had they included the free update with the paid upgrade, I think it would be very easily a revolutionary upgrade, but they gave that revolutionary stuff away.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with 4. I decided to wait on upgrading to Komplete 6 for stability reasons, tired of beta testing paid software for developers.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:37 am

for me kontakt 4 runs better and faster than any kontakt version before. finally!
it just needs enough ram, but filling ram is exactly what a sampler is for :-)

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:47 am

yeah 3.5 right, besides the crazy bug that when you move a parameter too fast it buffer freezes. 3 was ok at that regard.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... hp?t=90391

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 am

no problems for me so far

OSX 10.6
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

aizo

Post by aizo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 am

One of Kontakt's new features is the ability to use as much ram as possible. Maybe somehow yours is on a setting that expects more ram. That is the first thing I thought of when you posted. It's advertised on the new video.
ImageImage