Max For Live Question: Cyclops?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jOop.

Max For Live Question: Cyclops?

Post by jOop. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:04 am

http://cycling74.com/products/cyclops

Anybody know if whether a M4L user would be able to purchase the product linked above (Cyclops) and incorporate the objects into Ableton?

It would be sweet to be able to trigger clips by merely touching different "frame portions" (for lack of a better descriptor) or generally incorporate
what this object can do.

john doe by choice

Re: Max For Live Question: Cyclops?

Post by john doe by choice » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:14 am

Technically speaking, it's a Max object, so according to the sixth post in the thread you started a day or so ago:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126519

It would work.

Although, the people who would be able to answer that would be a pretty small group, so you may just want to email C74 if you want a 100% accurate answer instead of speculation.

jOop.

Post by jOop. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:29 am

john doe by choice wrote:Technically speaking, it's a Max object, so according to the sixth post in the thread you started a day or so ago:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126519

It would work.

Although, the people who would be able to answer that would be a pretty small group, so you may just want to email C74 if you want a 100% accurate answer instead of speculation.
Just to elaborate a bit: I'm aware that M4L will include all the Max modules but I'm unsure whether this means A) M4L uses the exact same object format or B) M4L is having all the modules ported over into some new, ableton-centric, format.

"B" would make sense since it would prevent the Max/MSP/Jitter community from getting the fruits of M4L without paying (it's not like Ableton users will be able to use them in some kind of free runtime). However, since Cyclops isn't a standard object then "B" would mean it wouldn't be ported and wouldn't be compatible.

'Course, my reasoning for "B" could be faulty. It's based on the fact Cycling has said that upgrade paths would exist between the applications (i.e. Max 5 users would get a price break on M4L) and I can't fathom why anybody would want to do this unless they were restricted from using the M4L developments (Max can already interface with Live to some degree). Then again, they did give away a Pluggo runtime for those without the application.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm

How is cyclops working out for you? I was thinking about purchasing it but then an experienced user told me to stick with the free cv.jit library.

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:14 pm

LOFA wrote:How is cyclops working out for you? I was thinking about purchasing it but then an experienced user told me to stick with the free cv.jit library.
I found the cv.jit library much easier to use. Theyre actually pretty powerful too...

jOop.

Post by jOop. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:19 pm

LOFA wrote:How is cyclops working out for you? I was thinking about purchasing it but then an experienced user told me to stick with the free cv.jit library.
Oh, I haven't purchased it yet. I'm debating whether to grab Jitter by itself or get Max4L and pick up cyclopes on top. I really won't know till pricing gets revealed, but I'd probably turn to it over the cv.jit library to get up and running faster. I'd just be reinventing the wheel, in a sense, by turning to a library of component parts and the $99 price tag roughly equates to the time I'd save having to establish just the visual grid overlay trigger system Cyclops already excels at.

Thanks for bringing those objects to my attention, however. I didn't know they existed (but have subsequently read the object descriptions off their host site).

http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~jovan02/cv/objects.html

ps: To summerize what I wrote above into simpler terms, I see these objects vs. Cyclops akin to the difference between Max/Msp and Reaktor - Though Max is more powerful, Reaktor allows one to get up and running faster.