Windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Windows 7

Is good for a desktop OS but not Live 8
6%
Is good for a desktop OS AND Live 8
80%
Is not worth it over XP
14%

Total votes: 87

jsg4z

Windows 7

Post by jsg4z » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:48 am

Its around the corner and i'm tempted but skeptical. Anyone with real experience with windows 7, opinions are appreciated!

abletoff

Re: Windows 7

Post by abletoff » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:19 am

go for it all the way. Posting from the bed right now on a w7 netbook. Live runs exceptionally well both on 32 or 64 bit version, just get a good machine.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Nial

Post by Nial » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 am

I tried Windows 7 on an Dell Inspiron 1545... maybe not "a good machine" but it should be more then enough to run Live 8.

The audio stuttered a lot even on small songs but I think I was using asio4all at the time. Maybe asio4all isn't up to snuff yet?

Anyways: results may vary depending...
~Nial

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:55 am

Nial wrote:I tried Windows 7 on an Dell Inspiron 1545... maybe not "a good machine" but it should be more then enough to run Live 8.

The audio stuttered a lot even on small songs but I think I was using asio4all at the time. Maybe asio4all isn't up to snuff yet?

Anyways: results may vary depending...

from what i heard asio4all isn't windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit friendly....i have been running 8.0.5 on my 64 bit version for quite a while and i am using my xstation as my main soundcard....so far so good and the main vst's i used are emulator x64 and stylus rmx 1.8
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:30 am

Although many people already used the RTM version with success together with Live, I would hold for a while.
The main reason is that AFAIK there's no certified compatibility about Live 8.0.5 just like it is with Snow Leopard.
It may work but only when it's official it works for me.
I know about gear lust or OS lust, I've been there already... and I had to regret.
Keep it cool, Keep it cool, fifty fifty fire and ice... (Joni Mitchell)

- Best Regards
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

mdb

Post by mdb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:34 am

And you would be wrong pasha.. I guess someone doesnt read the changelogs -- http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123915

8.0.5 makes two fixes to windows 7, RC even.. so why would they be fixing bugs for an OS they arent supporting yet? Dont be retarded.. Everyones going to windows 7, and you'd be a fool not too.. It's rock solid, never crashes, doing audio on it is amazing... But i will admit, that you have to get with the times and at least put 4gb of ram towards it, or the experience can get kinda laggy, at least when your working with a lot of plugins/synths and songs with a decent ammount of audio tracks. You can get 4gb of ddr2 800 for like 50 bucks these days.. So whatever.. easy upgrade for getting with the time and adopting the future..

It's not just how it runs with audio, it's all the other little things that they have enhanced or added. Some things that come to mind are.. The way you can search whatever folder your in right from the window itself. Kinda like apple spotlight thing. Non the less, very handy. The enchanced window features, where you can push windows off to the side and they lock and resize down to allow other windows space.. Very handy. All the new key commands that go with moving windows around.. awesome! Not going to mention them all here.. Do your own research. The way it handles audio obviously... and also the way it handles ram now is MUCH better.. I could go on and on.. It's all the improvements tied in together that make it amazing.. XP had a good run, but its old technology now, and after you use windows 7 for a few months, you really feel how old xp is when you jump back on it. Later XP, it's been real, it's been nice, but it hasnt been really nice. :lol:

I've got W7 down to 21 process shutting down a bunch of stuff, and i suppose I could have even got it down lower, but I left a lot of the networking stuff on for LAN transfer reasons and a few of the network discovery reasons.

No need for a silly poll. just go do it.... it's miles ahead of xp, and even if your scared.. make another partition and install it.. then you have both and and your safe.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:54 am

abletoff wrote:go for it all the way. Posting from the bed right now on a w7 netbook. Live runs exceptionally well both on 32 or 64 bit version, just get a good machine.
+1
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 am

all I can say is : GO FOR IT !
after a few months with W7 64bit..
no way I'm going back to XP ...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:20 am

Pasha wrote:Although many people already used the RTM version with success together with Live, I would hold for a while.
The main reason is that AFAIK there's no certified compatibility about Live 8.0.5 just like it is with Snow Leopard.
It may work but only when it's official it works for me.
I know about gear lust or OS lust, I've been there already... and I had to regret.
Keep it cool, Keep it cool, fifty fifty fire and ice... (Joni Mitchell)

- Best Regards
- Pasha

you can already post bugs to W7 and contact support...
that wasn't the case before.
w7 is officially supported the moment it comes out..
which is about a week from now...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I've been using Win7x64 for two months now. My desktop is a Q6600 with 4gb ram and a modest Nvidia Geforce 7100. My laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 with an integrated intel video card, 4gb ram and a core 2 duo. So good specs, but nothing spectacular.

I can say with complete confidence and no degree of doubt that Windows 7 x64 is the upgrade that we've all been waiting for. To date, I've not had a single OS-level crash, no blue screens, no problems whatsoever. Everything just works (yes, this previously was a statement for Macfags only). From when I put in the install DVD to when the OS was up and running took 25 minutes, and all drivers were installed. All I had to do was add drivers for my RME for the desktop and the AudioKontrol for the lappie. All the graphics are wonderful, windows animations and everything else is very Mac-like. The Super Task Bar is way way better than the Mac Dock. And everything runs seemlessly, even though my graphics score is only 3.5 on my desktop and 3.1 on my laptop. I get full advantage of Aero, and it's very very slick. The OS itself also has some wonderful updates in terms of copying files, finding files, and management.

So let's get to the real question - Live...runs ROCK SOLID. Latencies as low as XP...and to a certain degree even smoother at lower latencies. Live 8.05 has had zero issues, and runs perfectly.

Normally, I'm not an OS fanboy, but I honestly believe that Microsoft knocked this one out of the park. This is a complete home run of an OS, and easily a worthy competitor to OSX.

One more thing...there's very little to tweak for music. Win7 pretty much works out of the box. There are a couple of settings, like setting background tasks with higher priority (same as XP), but otherwise, you're good to go.

Also, I've had zero compatibility issues with any of my 32-bit apps. It all works in x64. No issues at all.

This is of course just my experience, but I can't recommend Win7x64 enough.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:27 pm

mdb wrote:And you would be wrong pasha.. I guess someone doesnt read the changelogs -- http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123915

8.0.5 makes two fixes to windows 7, RC even.. so why would they be fixing bugs for an OS they arent supporting yet? Dont be retarded.. Everyones going to windows 7, and you'd be a fool not too.. It's rock solid, never crashes, doing audio on it is amazing... But i will admit, that you have to get with the times and at least put 4gb of ram towards it, or the experience can get kinda laggy, at least when your working with a lot of plugins/synths and songs with a decent ammount of audio tracks. You can get 4gb of ddr2 800 for like 50 bucks these days.. So whatever.. easy upgrade for getting with the time and adopting the future..

It's not just how it runs with audio, it's all the other little things that they have enhanced or added. Some things that come to mind are.. The way you can search whatever folder your in right from the window itself. Kinda like apple spotlight thing. Non the less, very handy. The enchanced window features, where you can push windows off to the side and they lock and resize down to allow other windows space.. Very handy. All the new key commands that go with moving windows around.. awesome! Not going to mention them all here.. Do your own research. The way it handles audio obviously... and also the way it handles ram now is MUCH better.. I could go on and on.. It's all the improvements tied in together that make it amazing.. XP had a good run, but its old technology now, and after you use windows 7 for a few months, you really feel how old xp is when you jump back on it. Later XP, it's been real, it's been nice, but it hasnt been really nice. :lol:

I've got W7 down to 21 process shutting down a bunch of stuff, and i suppose I could have even got it down lower, but I left a lot of the networking stuff on for LAN transfer reasons and a few of the network discovery reasons.

No need for a silly poll. just go do it.... it's miles ahead of xp, and even if your scared.. make another partition and install it.. then you have both and and your safe.
Shame on me! :(
I completely miss that.... I'm sorry.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:49 pm

^ don't be sorry. Playing it safe is good advice... especially with new technology.

I have an included Win7 upgrade with the laptop I got a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to trying it. I had heard some good things but these guys are POSITIVE. I like that. I'll probably be installing it sooner rather than later.

Thanks dudes... :wink:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Interesting how many people on this forum differ from the opinions on Cubase.net (all italics)

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/wind ... 6?page=0,1

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7 immediately?
Yes, and good riddence to Vista!
10%
Yes, but I will be initially dual booting until I know it all works!
31%
No immediate plans to upgrade - if it ain't broke, etc.!
57%

Especially interesting is this - as it pertains to us dudes running for audio...

"Windows 7 is slightly faster than Vista on identical hardware. It's also still significantly slower than Windows XP, while generating almost twice as many threads and consuming nearly three times as much RAM as XP to run the same application load."

There are plenty of people who cannot run Windows 7 because of driver and compatibility problems, both at Cubase and Gearslutz forums, so I personally would not upgrade until official support is declared and there are proper working drivers (not beta, or running under a 'compatibility mode'). I think it will however be a good platform when everything is settled down.

Waiting for mdb to have his usual meltdown ;) PS - Pasha you don't need to apologize. Not everyone is having the same experience at this time, some people are getting lucky with their combination of hardware and drivers - but not everyone.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:08 pm

^ I don't disagree that you will need relatively modern hardware to run Win7, but anything that's about 2-3 years old will run just fine on Win7. My issue is this crap about "significantly slower" than XP. That's total bullshit. Tests have shown that most activities have Win7 ahead of XP. Couple that with the fact that Win7x64 allows you to have massive amounts of ram, and you can do a whole lot more. None of my Live projects are taking more CPU on Win7 than on XP.

As for the 3x ram comment...when I ran XP, I needed about 150-200mb of ram for just the OS. At that time, I had a ceiling of 3.25gb of ram. Now that I can use all 4gb on Win7x64, I'm happy to let the OS have 500-600mb of RAM to let me have all the goodies of a clean and beautiful OS. That still leaves me 3.5gb for apps. And so long as Live is not 64-bit, it'll never use more than 2gb of ram. I guess my point is that RAM is no longer a big deal.

Also, I agree, Pasha, no need to apologize. :)
Last edited by nebulae on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:10 pm

leedsquietman wrote:"It's also still significantly slower than Windows XP, while generating almost twice as many threads and consuming nearly three times as much RAM as XP to run the same application load"
thats actually right in line with what mdb said above if you think about it. when XP came out having a gig of RAM was sweet and took you where you need to be (of course where you think you need to be keeps changing). He says 4 Gigs to get you straight. Also, like he says.. these days RAM is cheap. Its hurts a lot less to buy 4 gigs of RAM in 2009 than it did in to buy 1 GB in 2002.

If throwing RAM at it is any kind of a solution... these days... its become fairly easy and inexpensive to do so.

If needing more RAM is the biggest gripe. meh.